Change Mode

Finishing my 1st build, and now i have another problem....

I've triple checked everything, and everything is plugged in the way it should be... I boot up the system, and a few things DON'T happen....

It powers on,, fans turn on, drives sound like they start up, video card lights up, all sounds good...

BUT

My USBs dont work (mouse light wont turn on)

No video shows up on my monitor

and the CD drives dont power on (I cant eject to put in the OS disk)

My power supply is a 750W supply, this should be suffice, no??

Can anyone help?? Thanks!!

:pullhair:

EDIT:: NEVERMIND, I GOT IT! IM STUPID! :hammer:

Edited by Superman199

There was 1 part of the power supply that wasnt attached to the MB.... it was a 4 pin plug, and there was a 6 pin slot... i got so fed up, i took a guess and plugged it in and it worked... Everything is working PERFECTLY now! Thank you all for your help along the way..... I did a scan, and everything is about top 4%, now i guess all that's left is a little overclocking to make it better??

My buddy wants me to build him one now too, soooooo, ready for round 2!!

Naw keep it here! This is where the overclockers see it!

Now Gordesky and I have our overclocked pretty well! (although he has his higher than mine for now :P )

These chips are not like old ones where you have to burn in at every 100mgz increment..

I would suggest upping your front side bus to 220..For now thats a 370 mgz increase.. Get something like core temp or cpuid hardware monitor to monitor temps.. You want idle temps not to much above ambient temps.. So if you have ambient temps at 30c your overclock (idle) should be around 35c..Maybe a little higher as I forget the cpu cooler you have!

get Orthos and run it for awhile and dont let temps go above 60c..

Now your overcloking :tup:

You should not have to up your v-core at that speed so temps should not get that high. If you do gigabyte usually ups them for you up to a certain point.

Then we can talk about upping your northbridge clocks!

So does it feels faster to you? Thats all that really matters.

Hard ware monitor

Core Temp

That 5700 does not look right though? As in theory it should outdo my 4890 (I think I may be wrong) and my test is at stock speeds (gpu that is)

Also get Diskeeper and run it twice!! As you have a lot of fragmented files. After the trial you can get the freeware version..

( Other may give you other advice about there defragers as well I just like diskeeper as I bought it and have no choice lol.)

Also a very good one that is better than diskeeper (IMO) is OandO but it is a little pricey..But has a 30 day trial

O and O defrag

Diskeeper Lite

Edited by lugnut

It feels great so far.... altho i am having a minor problem with Win7 Crashing after its sitting for a bit and not doing anything, I'm not sure why... the computer is in my basement now, where it's pretty damn cool down here.... Yeah, im not sure what's going on with the 5700 either... ideas??

I'll poke around with the overclocking in a day or two when i can get another minute to putz around! Thanks!!

And as always, other suggestions are always welcome!!

Now it's locking up on me randomly... if i plug in a USB drive.... or even sometimes before, or just after startup Windows will freeze... If i try to reinstall windows, or try to repair the problem, the system will lock up and i can't see, to do either.... Any ideas of how to help? i did a restore, but its still having some of the same problems. Thanks!! :pullhair:

What are the temps?

As I did not have any problems with win 7..(are you using win 7 or XP?)

Edit: also download speedfan and do a SMART check on your drive! Cause if it is locking up during defrag it has me worried!

Speedfan Just click the SMART tab and click the in depth online analysis

Edited by lugnut

i can hardly boot up anymore.... ive gotten in and restored to the very beginning, and it didnt help much... it just kept crashing (resetting) when i tried to do a few things... i want to try and boot to repair, or even try to reinstall Win7, but it freezes up in there as well...

when i try to boot in Safe mode, it stops at "Loaded: \Windows\system32\drivers\CLASSOPNP.SYS" and i can't get passed that...

ARRRRRRGGGGHH!! Good Grief!!

Did you update your BIOS?

Hmmm only other thing I can thnk of is it being your dvd drive?

But if it is going far enough to reboot might be heat but you said its not hot!

Does your mobo have onboard graphics?

i updated the BIOS just to start the cd drive 1st......

No, nothing is even close to being hot.. and no onboard graphics

I cleared off the HD, and i try to install win7 again, but it freeze up on the "Setup is Starting.." screen.... the little circle stopped moving, and mouse is unresponsive

EDIT:

In the BIOS now... i read some where to disable the FDD drive.... i dont use the floppy anyways.... I also see "halt on"... should i try with "no errors" so i can then atleast load up then update when its loaded? or will that not work the way it sounds??

EDIT 2:

Didn't matter.. it still didnt work.... Now what??? >:\

Edited by Superman199

to be honest with you the first thing i think i'd do is buy a new power supply with the correct 6 pin power plug that the motherboard needs to get the correct power to work correctly.

now i'm no expert and don't know if using just the 4 pin plug in the 6 pin motherboard power connection effects anything, but it might. ;)

:b33r:

What PSU do you have in that rig?? Terry may be spot on.....that's an 8 pin plug next to the CPU in the corner there. I have run a 4 pin plug in one once, but I was not trying to O/C the PC. You need a PSU with an 8 pin ATX plug to slap in that socket and provide appropriate power.

:geezer:

Thats what I cant understand! It should have givin you problems from the get go!

Wonder if you can put the 6 pin pci-e in there? I dont know if you can so dont take my word for it. As you may short out your mobo as well.

Try taking out ram and switching it etc, see if it is not just a bad ram module!

As the psu does not have a 6 pin connector other than the pci express!

could be a sign of power supply failing, be my guess. i'd definitely get a better power supply than the one your using anyway with your setup.

but you could try using a different power connector to your drives, the one your using might be on the same rail has the motherboard power connector, what you need to do is spread the load across both rails(why i use a single rail supply, don't have to worry about this then) so when the drive is active it's not using the extra power the cpu needs when under load.

like i said no expert and all just guesses. :tup:

:b33r: