I'm looking to buy a NAS device with web access, need advice

Hi I'm thinking of getting a network attached storage device with web access,

but there is so many of them to choose from I do not know which one is the right for me

things I would like to do with it:

1. access device from internet, so I can wach movies listen to music at work or any other places

2. share files with my housemate, with my friends abroad

3. download files directly to this devise,mostly from home

4. not expensive one

5. it could be just enclosure or it could come with HDD

also I do not know is there any kind of nas that can be connected to my Tv, so I can watch movies even when my pc is off

any suggestions would be appreciated

many thanks

Edited by werdas

Hi

With a .NET account using "Windows Live" space you can access "Skydrive" which will give you 25G of On-Line storage to share or keep private

There is also "Google Doc" both a similar, to which I use both and access them from anywhere and they are FREE ( I love that word ) Here is a Google Doc Tour

what is your price range?

a good nas with 500G to 1Tb space could run you 200 bux or more.....

i like the units from buffalo.

point 3 with downloading directly to the device, it'll still have to be downloaded through your computer and sent to the device, which may be slower.

most NAS units though will allow ftp access, which is remote use, but you'll have to set up port forwarding through your router also.

haven't looked at them in awhile, but to stream media to your tv, you may need a device that is able to do this. I don't know of a NAS itself that is able unless you want to build a small htpc and set it up as a nas also. price would be compartive to buying a NAS and a media device.

pretty much, what is the top price range for you?

what is your price range?

a good nas with 500G to 1Tb space could run you 200 bux or more.....

i like the units from buffalo.

point 3 with downloading directly to the device, it'll still have to be downloaded through your computer and sent to the device, which may be slower.

most NAS units though will allow ftp access, which is remote use, but you'll have to set up port forwarding through your router also.

haven't looked at them in awhile, but to stream media to your tv, you may need a device that is able to do this. I don't know of a NAS itself that is able unless you want to build a small htpc and set it up as a nas also. price would be compartive to buying a NAS and a media device.

pretty much, what is the top price range for you?

perhaps up to £100,

seen it has network sharing, not sure if that can be manipulated to do regular files also, but at that price range you're going to be a bit limited in what you can afford that comes with a drive.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16822165122

the last generation from buffalo was the unit i was about to get before i downsized my network to two computers, lol. seems to be a decent unit, and i liked that it ran on a 'version' of linux instead of a windows only type setup.

can't personally comment on owning one though. runs on sata and has a gigabit port.

Edited by wdeydwondrer

seen it has network sharing, not sure if that can be manipulated to do regular files also, but at that price range you're going to be a bit limited in what you can afford that comes with a drive.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16822165122

the last generation from buffalo was the unit i was about to get before i downsized my network to two computers, lol. seems to be a decent unit, and i liked that it ran on a 'version' of linux instead of a windows only type setup.

can't personally comment on owning one though. runs on sata and has a gigabit port.

it can be encloser only, I will get hdd separetly,

what about:

D-Link DNS 313

or

NETGEAR SC101