Change Mode

got my amd 965 and 2 more 2x1tbs:)

first i did the hdds and clone my old and aging 2x160s in raid 0 to the 2x1tb raid 0 new drives and that went fast with no problems and wow what a difference with load times... everything is pretty much like one click and it loads right there instead of couple secs or longer. did the cloning with acronis what a wonderful program!!

i didn't really think i see any difference from my old 160s to these new drives so now i have 4tbs-3.7 or 3.8 useable lol.. all together 2x1tbs in raid 0 and 2x1tbs not in raid but was thinking of doing those in raid too.

and gonna wipe the 160s and use them in raid 0 in my system with the opteron 165 sense that's been siting for awhile now with no hdds in it..

and the amd 965 what a cpu lol it feels alot faster like lugnut said for his to:) even at stock 3.4 than my [email protected] and runs alot cooler.

windows loaded really fast and it wasn't sluggish like it was when everything was trying to load at start up.

than i tried a overclock 3.8ghzs stock voltage on everything and the temps stayed the same lol and is stable at that clock.

i had to pump 1.52 1.55v into the 940 to be stable at 3.8ghzs and temps was around high 50s sure that was with fan on low but with the fan on low on the 965 temps ony went to 49 to 51 the highest i saw with 3.8ghzs and around 29c to mid 30s idle which the 940 was in the low 40s..

tho i did use the stock thermal pad that came with the corsair h50 with the 940 so i problee couldve got a bit lower temps with ocz freeze sense that's what im using now on the 965 now.

but so far it feels like i just built a new build again lol

gonna test a few more stuff on teh 3.8ghz clock than try for higher i be happy with 4ghzs:)

:tup: I was the same way! I did not think I would see a big difference from the 940 (overclocked like yours)

But I did. 4ghz is easy with this thing. Temps are good and stable around 35c idle never going past 55c. (at 4ghz.)

Glad ya like it.

so far got 4.1ghzs with 1.42v:) temps is so far at load 41cpu and 52 to 54c max which my fan on my h50 is ony on 1000rpms lowest speed:)

i find it weird why this cpu feels faster than my 940 at the same clocks sense all i could see difference is the extra 400mhzs stock clock.

unless they did something to it that we dont know about lol

Edited by gordesky1

im running a duel fan setup both fans blowing inside of the case seems like that cools the best for me.

also had my first blue screen with this cpu at [email protected] so i raised it to 1.44 and so far its doing everest stress test for 2hours and still going:)

but wow this thing does get a bit hot when you upped the voltage over 1.42 its about [email protected] load but still good.

tho when i first stress tested it at [email protected] temps was like 57 to 58 than the more time it was stress temps drop down to 54 to 55c load so i guess the thermal pasted is breaking in still running a at low rpms on one of the fans:)

also does anyone know whats the max safe volts theses cpus can go to? i herd its best to stay under 1.5 or even 1.45v but not sure if that's true.

because i ran my 940 at 1.55v pretty much sense i had it with no harm.

operating range is .875v - 1.5v according to AMD..

I see a lot of 1.5v out there getting them to 4ghz(not stable) but I am at 1.42 (as you are) with a perfectly stable 4ghz oc..Maybe its my modded cooler? As I have a Ultra Kaze on it running full spin at 2k pushing 133cfm

so far i tried [email protected] which blue screen after about 30min of browseing the net but i didn't change much just upped the multiplier so i problee have to tweak a few settings.

but it is stable at [email protected] 12hours threw everest temps never raised 55c on low fan setting.

right now im running it at 4.02ghzs @1.42 stable with my ram at 1158mhzs and northbriged and southbriged at 2800 something with my 940 it never went that high system wouldn't boot.

but so far im loving this cpu:)

lugnut what is the highest clock you had it stable at other than 4ghzs?

lugnut what is the highest clock you had it stable at other than 4ghzs?

I had it up to 4.2 as well but not stable but really did not mess around with things. Had it @ 4.1 for awhile but brought it back down after my BIOS got messed up (not from oc! from my kids :nono: )

Saving its life for the bowl lol... Hoping to get 4.2 4.3 out of it for a bit. but going to have to adjust some cooling features before I do that!

ya im sure theses cpu can hit 4.2 to 4.3 maybe even fully stable lol

so far cooling is fine tho it acts weird sometimes like the temps will drop instead going higher if i stress test it like say if its at 55c couple hours after that it will be around 53 to 52c but maybe that's how the h50 does with more heat so it works better lol...

so far everything is stable and speed is always there even in games i gain a good bit more fps like even in crysis:) didn't really expected this much coming from my old cpu lol

hmm little update.

everything was nice and dandy at 4ghzs-4.1ghz with my memory the way it was allways 1160mhzs.

till last night when i start playing games everything was going crazy like it would keep blue screening when i play for more than 15min and the next boot there was lines going threw the screen than big blue boxes.

so i thought it was my video cards overheating sense the 2nd card 4850 gets pretty hot on the memory so i took it out of crossfire and tried it again and still the same problems happening so it wasint that...

so i went in bios and mess with settings like the northbrigde voltages and clock and tht threading clock and even highering the cpu voltage still didint help still crashed in games...

so i tried 1066 for my ram stock. still crashed than i tried 800mhzs and so far its stable even at 4.2ghzs its not giving me anymore blue screens...

and now i wondering is my memory giving out?... cause it was fine sense i own them @ 1066 and over.

or does this cpu want me to mess with the memory timings? sense i never mess with them or never had too.

gonna run memtest tonight and see what it gives would suck if this memory is dieing sense i don't have any spares...

but ya the cpu is holding up well so far got it at [email protected] is that voltage safe to run on this cpu? temps are cold cpu is usely in the high 20s and cores when idle is low 30s to mid 30s and temps hardly go over 52c at load. i might beable to low it some sense i thought voltage was the problem but it wasint.

I think it is your cpu messing with the ram! As I had the same exact problem and had to bring my ram down as well.. I tried memtest and no errors etc and so on..

But my ram was ok until I started messing with the northbridge voltage! (did you change the NB voltage?) Brought it back down some and everything is now fine running @ 1150..

ya i even mess with the nb voltage and still was unstable...

how far did you higher the nb volts?

oh what about cpu nb voltage? i have that at stock now but i did have it up to .250 didn't want to go higher than that.

i try the nb volts back up and see what it does.

just tried the nb at 1.4which is max it will go to and so far it seems stable with the memory at 1066 before it would blue screen in about 5 to 10min in a game.

what is weird i thought i put the nb to 1.4 already lol...

tho is it safe to run the nb at this volts?

Edited by gordesky1

i talked to soon... lol was playing wow with zune music going in the back round and it lasted about a good hour. than it forzed like a pic... no blue screen.

i dont think its the cpu sense usely when the cpu is unstable it would either blue screen or make a looping sound than restart.

so i put back the ram to 800mhzs and see if it does it again.

it must of did it even at 800mhzs now.. i left it on wow log on screen and zune player playing music and left xfire on and im at work now and i logged on now on my other xfire ancount and my profile is offline so it must of restarted again... or frozen...

it just seems like the motherboard is going wacky.. same thing happen when i was overclocking my 940 i get it stable at 3.8ghzs for days than it gets unstable for no reason...

heck i could stress the cpu over 12hours and its fine which i did at 4.1ghzs but when it comes to a 3d program it crashes or gets unstable.

im at 4.2ghzs now but even if i put it on 4ghzs it does the same thing but is find stressing.

just updated the bios to the c3 one and so far at stock voltage 1.39 and 4ghzs its seems faster and stable im not saying 100% yet sense i still don't trust it but so far its not doing any freezing or blue screens.

for now i just have the mutiplyer on 20 and didn't change a thing even left the ram at 800mhzs and stock voltage.

gonna leave it like this for about a day to see if its stable than try for 4.2ghzs again:)

totally forgot bout the BIOS update.. Yes that will help! as my initial BIOS would not let me even let my Ram go to 1066 It should be at F8 ( if memory serves me correctly and it usually doesn't)

So you going to do the Bowl next year? I would be happy to battle you lol :boxing:

I just have to do some different things for my cooling! I just ordered 2 new cpu fans.. As I cannot distort the one I have now to blow out the back.. Either blows up or down. And that is sucking the heat from the hot :filtered: gpu which is running @ 70c due to folding) so thats not good!

I even tried my trusty old ARCTIC COOLING Freezer 7 Pro (rev 2) and wont let me blow out the back.. And my new case (sword M) needs it to blow out the back!

So I order the IceCage 120

Ice Cage

and the Xigmatek and will be putting this fan on the heatsink Ultra Kaze needed a heatsink that will fit this 32mm thick fan...As I can use 2 of them and sandwich the heatsink..blowing out the back

Plus for the next couple days it is only going to be around 10 degress F with a windchill of -15 to -20 so gonna work in my garage with it :mrgreen: just to bench for the super bowl.. Hope fully will get this thing to 4.6 long enough to bench it!

SO you had it stable at 4.2? I did not go that high yet due to my cpu cooling problems.. I wish ya luck as that means I can do it too lol...

well it still acts weird... but so far it ony will pass cinebench @ 4.1 overclocking with overdrive tried 4.2 @1.504v it reboots.... on 3rd test

here comes the weird part when i have the cpu 4ghzs overclocked from bios it will not pass cinebench.... but in overdrive it will...

i was atleast hopeing to get 4.2ghzs stable and pass able but it doesn't seem possible..

edit it restarts at 4,1 using cine bench 64bit....

went back in bios and put some voltages up and the cpu to 1.52 and put the northbrige clock to 2600 and it pass this time... lol

Edited by gordesky1

welp so far the max stable i could get is 4.150ghzs anything higher it will fail cinebench 4x....

i even had the volts up to 1.55v and it didn't go any higher.

even had the north-bridge volts and the cpu nb and had the north-bridge mhzs up to 3000 still wasn't stable..

i guess either my cpu is maxed out tho it will boot in windows at 4.3ghzs so maybe theses cpus needs true water cooling to get there stable.

im using the corsair h50 so really aint true water but keeps the cpu cold.

but im happy at 4ghzs to 4.1ghzs tho i wanted to get a bit higher for the Superbowl :/ ...

• 2 weeks later...