Sign in to follow this  
TheEldergeek

Free scan - "Error Browsing Results"

Run the free scan of PC Matic, on completion, after completing the mini survey asking if I am happy with my PC, I get an error message :

"Error Browsing Results"

Click OK, and then nothing, blank PC Matic screen.

Window 7 Pro gave me the option to see if it could find a solution, and came up with Flash not being up-to-date. Well, it is, and several times to make sure!

Edited by TheEldergeek

:wp:

First try logging out of PC Matic, then log back into the program and try a new scan.

If that does not resolve the issue, the browser cache may also need to be cleared. In IE6 go to Start>Control Panel>Internet Options>General>Temporary Internet Files>Delete Files >put a checkmark by "Delete all offline content" then click OK>OK. For IE7 an IE8, go to Start>Control Panel>Internet Options>Browsing History>Delete> and click the button to delete the temporary Internet Files, then click 'yes', 'close', 'OK'.

If the issue persists, set your firewall to allow www.pcpitstop.com. The corresponding IP is 64.29.201.21. The program name is PCMatic.exe.

If the issue persists try running PC Matic from Safe Mode with Networking to determine if the problem is with a third-party application interfering.

To access Safe Mode with Networking in Windows XP or Vista, repeatedly tap the F5 or F8 key while the computer is booting up. Once the menu opens, select Safe Mode with Networking, and later when prompted, administrator. The screen will look different because the video driver is not loaded. That will return to normal after a reboot. To run PC Matic, you may need to go to Start>Programs>PC Pitstop>PC Matic if the desktop icons are not present.

If it completes from Safe Mode with Networking but will not complete from Windows, it is being blocked from exchanging information with our server by a third-party program, most likely a firewall.

:wp:

First try logging out of PC Matic, then log back into the program and try a new scan.

If that does not resolve the issue, the browser cache may also need to be cleared. In IE6 go to Start>Control Panel>Internet Options>General>Temporary Internet Files>Delete Files >put a checkmark by "Delete all offline content" then click OK>OK. For IE7 an IE8, go to Start>Control Panel>Internet Options>Browsing History>Delete> and click the button to delete the temporary Internet Files, then click 'yes', 'close', 'OK'.

If the issue persists, set your firewall to allow www.pcpitstop.com. The corresponding IP is 64.29.201.21. The program name is PCMatic.exe.

If the issue persists try running PC Matic from Safe Mode with Networking to determine if the problem is with a third-party application interfering.

To access Safe Mode with Networking in Windows XP or Vista, repeatedly tap the F5 or F8 key while the computer is booting up. Once the menu opens, select Safe Mode with Networking, and later when prompted, administrator. The screen will look different because the video driver is not loaded. That will return to normal after a reboot. To run PC Matic, you may need to go to Start>Programs>PC Pitstop>PC Matic if the desktop icons are not present.

If it completes from Safe Mode with Networking but will not complete from Windows, it is being blocked from exchanging information with our server by a third-party program, most likely a firewall.

OK, will try what you say, but just to save you some typing, I'm an IT Technician myself, so don't need the general instructions on using the OS - but thanks anyway, and of course, you would never have known :)

A point to note is that I'm not logging in though, this is a free scan. I haven't decided to buy the program yet; well that is, I can't buy it because I never get that far in the program! :P

My default browser is also not IE8, but Firefox 3.5.6 - no idea if that makes a difference to the software. I'm also using Windows 7 Pro, which I think I mentioned, so no IE6 or 7 in sight.

I'll get back to you with the results ASAP.

Edited by TheEldergeek

OK, will try what you say, but just to save you some typing, I'm an IT Technician myself, so don't need the general instructions on using the OS - but thanks anyway, and of course, you would never have known :)

A point to note is that I'm not logging in though, this is a free scan. I haven't decided to buy the program yet; well that is, I can't buy it because I never get that far in the program! :P

My default browser is also not IE8, but Firefox 3.5.6 - no idea if that makes a difference to the software. I'm also using Windows 7 Pro, which I think I mentioned, so no IE6 or 7 in sight.

I'll get back to you with the results ASAP.

Cleared IE8 cache, cleared Firefox 3.5.6 cache.

Disabled ESET Smart Security

Ran 'PC Matic' program as administrator on 'free scan'.

All tests were performed as per the progress bar, but when I complete the survey at the end, I get the same "Error Browsing Results" error message.

The only other software I am running which might have an adverse effect perhaps is WinPatrol.

Going to try SAFE MODE as suggested, but to be honest, if the software won't work unless I re-hash my machine, then I'm not going to buy it.

I was just looking for a quick fix to keep the thing ticking over nicely rather than me spend time doing it manually or using several free programs.

Cleared IE8 cache, cleared Firefox 3.5.6 cache.

Disabled ESET Smart Security

Ran 'PC Matic' program as administrator on 'free scan'.

All tests were performed as per the progress bar, but when I complete the survey at the end, I get the same "Error Browsing Results" error message.

The only other software I am running which might have an adverse effect perhaps is WinPatrol.

Going to try SAFE MODE as suggested, but to be honest, if the software won't work unless I re-hash my machine, then I'm not going to buy it.

I was just looking for a quick fix to keep the thing ticking over nicely rather than me spend time doing it manually or using several free programs.

OK, did all of the above, and even in SAFE MODE, I get exactly the same result.

Guess PC Matic just isn't what I was looking for...

I just tried the same thing with Windows 7 Pro and got the same results.

Posted Image

Trying again, but instead using my Login information from the Free PC Pitstop Overdrive Test here: http://www.pcpitstop.com/betapit/ , all worked properly and the end results are displayed without problem.

Looks like the "Free Scan" gear button on the lower right corner of the PC Matic program needs to be tied into the "Test Anonymously " link at the bottom of the Overdrive Test Page.

Using a free account set up from the Optimize page allows for a free scan and results display from PC Optimize.

:)Y

edit: :wp: TheEldergeek :tup:

That is correct. If you already have a PC Pitstop account, you should be logged in automatically by the cookie. If you have an account and try to run an anonymous scan, there is an error saving the results as anonymous scans don't save the results.

The developer has been notified and is implementing a solution that will not use cookies.

Edit: This issue should now be fixed.

That is correct. If you already have a PC Pitstop account, you should be logged in automatically by the cookie. If you have an account and try to run an anonymous scan, there is an error saving the results as anonymous scans don't save the results.

The developer has been notified and is implementing a solution that will not use cookies.

Edit: This issue should now be fixed.

wow, that is both good and bad.

It's good that you guys fixed the problem, but it is really bad you released something which such a massive flaw in it to your potential customers.

I'm not sure whether to be impressed at the speed with which you resolved it, or concerned that maybe I shouldn't buy a program that by being flawed from the outset, might screw up my install.

I'm gonna have to go away and have a think now.

A cookie issue is hardly 'massive' by anybody's definition and it isn't even remotely possible to screw up a Windows installation with a missing cookie. By definition cookies are temporary files that come and go.

PC Matic was not released with a flaw. PC Matic was released in October. This issue was a result of changing the cookie handling on the fly and only existed for a few hours and only affected a very small number of users.

The fact that it was fixed so fast is a result of the program being web-based with automatic updates, one of the features that sets our software apart from and above the competition. PC Pitstop had the issue fixed in much less time than it would take to even get a response from most other companies.

A cookie issue is hardly 'massive' by anybody's definition and it isn't even remotely possible to screw up a Windows installation with a missing cookie. By definition cookies are temporary files that come and go.

PC Matic was not released with a flaw. PC Matic was released in October. This issue was a result of changing the cookie handling on the fly and only existed for a few hours and only affected a very small number of users.

The fact that it was fixed so fast is a result of the program being web-based with automatic updates, one of the features that sets our software apart from and above the competition. PC Pitstop had the issue fixed in much less time than it would take to even get a response from most other companies.

Look at it from a potential, and non-technical, purchaser's point of view. The program failed. End of.

There is no, "well it was only a cookie, and "won't screw your install".

The program failed, period.

And even for me, a 'techie' with almost 20 years experience of technical support, it instilled a 'what else might there be wrong with the product' concern in me (and it was from that angle I was concerned about it screwing my install, not from a simple cookie viewpoint).

Now I know it is only a cookie problem, I am not too concerned with the rest of the program.

But don't forget, this program is going to mess with my Registry, the pleasure of which I have to pay you money, so I am right to have concerns when a program goes wrong from the start.

How might your average consumer have seen this 'flaw'? They would have probably gone elsewhere - more than likely.

Yes, you fixed it quick, and that is impressive, but it was still a flaw in what you were offering me, the consumer.

And in being so quick (and terse) in defending your product, you didn't even ask me if it was now working on my machine, or thank me for alerting you to the problem in the first place.

:unsure:

Edited by TheEldergeek

I sure am glad MS never released anything with flaws :rofl2:

Each and every software vendor has probably released flawed software; even on Mac OSX (my primary operating system) I've come across 'buggy' software.

Not quite sure what point you are trying to make there though?

BTW, your 'auslogic' link is broken.

Edited by TheEldergeek

TheEldergeek were you able to run the program through to the end and view the results?

It's behaving properly for me, here, when logged in as well as when using the "Free Scan" button.

Thanks for the fix I_G. :tup:

TheEldergeek were you able to run the program through to the end and view the results?

It's behaving properly for me, here, when logged in as well as when using the "Free Scan" button.

Thanks for the fix I_G. :tup:

Yeah, it's working correctly now.