Sign in to follow this  
lugnut

Short Stroking

Well I short stroked my boot drive and found, 1) it boots in an instant and 2) is pretty dang fast..

My question is should I take off my Raid 0 and do indivudual drives and short stroke them? As I have the 2 drives in Raid for Windows 7, another Raid 0 for program files and Games etc..

The Windows 7 drives equal 300 gigs and I short stroked it down to only 30 gigs.. But that leaves a lot of space lost.. SO would it do me better to do this on a single raptor drive? As it is only software raid and there really is no benefit I see except in benches.. I mean my games boot a little faster but when I short stroked the games drive FEAR 2 (used to load in like 25 seconds) not it litterlalyl boots in less than 5 seconds..

I ran HD tach ( I know I know lol) before stroking I was getting 325 mb/s burst speeds, not I ran it again and I am getting 443mb/s burst speeds...

Sorry for the long drawn out question..

Is it better to short stroke indivudual drives or should I keep them in RAID and short stroke the raid?

It is just making your drive smaller and not formatting the other part.. Like I have a 300 gig drive (with Raid 0) and I took it down to 30 gigs only.. Which gives the hard drive a faster response. A much faster response. Like booting only takes a couple seconds and my games just fly open..

Short Stroking

So all those years I was short stroking.

And they said I was wasting space....IN YOUR FACE!!!!!!!! :P

Interesting idea, I think I would just opt for a RAID setup versus short stroking. This is not a bad implementation, just not worth the loss of space for me.

to be honest no i don't see it as worth while or cost effective way to do things.

the amount of space your losing would equal the cost of a single ssd drive in the first place.

your much better off in my opinion in getting a single ssd drive, and setting up a temp ram drive if you have enough memory, then using your normal drives in a raid 0/1 setup for data.

interesting as an experiment and bench testing, yes but for daily use, no.

:b33r:

I do this all the time with raid 5- Basically I create 2 raids with 2-3-4-5-6 drives, the fastest part of your drive is the first 10% so with that I create a raid array with 10% of the drives im raiding and install windows on it. Go back into my raid controller and use the remaining amount of space for a storage drive.

I do this all the time with raid 5- Basically I create 2 raids with 2-3-4-5-6 drives, the fastest part of your drive is the first 10% so with that I create a raid array with 10% of the drives im raiding and install windows on it. Go back into my raid controller and use the remaining amount of space for a storage drive.

Yeah.Been doing it for years myself.I hope TomsHardware didnt just figure this out :rolleyes:

the thing with actually using the 2nd part of your raid partition for data, is that you lose the advantage of short stroking, because the drives arm could be way over reading data then has to shoot back to the first part of the drive, thus slowing down access times.

so the that's why you have to leave the rest blank, so the arm never moves off the first 5-10% of the drives, that's my understanding of why short stroke in the first place.

like i said earlier good for benchtests but that's about it in my opinion.

Well I tested both out Raid and SS.. Benches where much higher and loading times were much lower. I opened Games like FEAR 2 and Crysis warhead and COD MW2 and they all loaded much quicker in the short stroking form. Noticeably faster. Fear 2 was the fastest with only 10 seconds from clicking the icon to playing.

But as Terry said, I dont know if I want to loos all that space to shave off 20 seconds. I'm impatient but not that impatient..

Think I will keep it on my OS drive as nothing goes on that drive but the os anyway. the other drives will be raided.

I actually read an article about this.

I think they took a 1TB seagate drive and took it down to the top of the platter(if I remember it was about 147GB), and it actually performance like one of the 150GB WD velociraptors, beating it in certain tests.

the thing with actually using the 2nd part of your raid partition for data, is that you lose the advantage of short stroking, because the drives arm could be way over reading data then has to shoot back to the first part of the drive, thus slowing down access times.

so the that's why you have to leave the rest blank, so the arm never moves off the first 5-10% of the drives, that's my understanding of why short stroke in the first place.

like i said earlier good for benchtests but that's about it in my opinion.

The thing is you get the best of both worlds doing that, speed and storage.