Change Mode

images and raid?

will this work?

if i copy my drive which is 2x160 in raid with acronis true image than use that image on a new drives which are gonna be 2x1tbs in raid?

does the new drives needs windows on it for it to work also?

i never did imaging on raid so im not sure if this is possible?

i have 2x1tbs in my system now but they not in raid because i was using them for storage and the 160s for windows.

so im gonna have like 4tb of storage:)

also got a amd phenom 965 125watt coming on the way to:)

Never tried exactly that but have done that using the same two hard drives to both create and restore the image, using ATI.

Pretty sure it would work, especially if you're using the same MB/RAID controller.

Edited by markcynt

Yes, I change my RAID arrays around all the time and clone the image back on to the new array using Acronis. The Found New Hardware wizard may pop up and create a new 'generic volume' in the Device Manager, and ask for a reboot, then that's it.

• 2 weeks later...

hmm today i figure i get stuff ready and backup the drive for when i get to open my drives in couple days.

so i went to backup my drive or partition and select the c: which is the one to backup 296.2gbs i even check backup sector by sector and it says size to back up 291gbs so it took about 50min to 1hour

than it said it was done so i went and check to see if it did it right and the tib file is ony 246gbs???

is that right or did something mess up? shouldn't it show 291gbs?

edit i went in acronis than check it from there in details and it says full backup than it says on the bottom 296gb.2gb so maybe windows doeisnt show it right? or its compress?

oh forgot to ask how would i restore this on the new drives? does the new drives need windows installed or can it be done over slave?

Edited by gordesky1

I don't use the backup feature. I go under either Tools or Disk Utilities and use the Clone option to make a full disk image to an external drive, then create the bootable CD. For the new drives, just boot from the CD, then clone the image back from the external drive to the new RAID array.

i have another ? when i click clone it says automatic or manual at first i did manual than click source and click my main hdd that i want to copy than for target drive i used my 500gb usb external on the next step it says

as is proportional and manual and that's were im stuck at because i want to keep my hard drive that im backing up intact but i just want to clone it to the external so when i get my new hdds in so be all ready.

but i don't want it to delete the stuff off the main hdd and transfer it to the external.

should i use the as is option?

i also made a boot disk and every time i try to start it with my raid drives in it says it cant load linux kernel? but when i unplug the raid drives it will boot right to acronis....

when i get the drives can i just put raid on them and when i get in windows and than just clone my main hdd onto the new ones? seems like that might be faster

but can you run 2 different raid setups? i mean my main drives is 2x160s in raid 0 but i like to raid the 2x1tbs in raid 0 separated

from the 160s so i could move the os and stuff that is on those to the 1tbs?

Edited by gordesky1

Oh ya! You have the same options I have.. 4 or 5 separate Raid configs! I have pretty much the same board except mine only has one pci-e slot..

Edit: Just remember with these boards ( I am sure you know but just in case) you have to set the BIOS to RAID not just the IDE setting.. confused me for a couple days when I first got the gigabyte board.

Edited by lugnut

ok thats good:)

ya i know about the raid setting:)

thanks.

still don't get it why aronis boot disk says about linux kernel cant start when my raid drives is connected...

but it problee be faster copying my main raid hdd to the new raid drives instead of copying it to a external usb drive than copying it back to the new drives lol..