Dell Laptop Brand New

Hi

Dunn'a be asking me for details on the Laptop as I'm back at home right now, won't have that information until tomorrow. The operating system I can tell you is "Windows 7"

This is a brand new Dell Laptop which I was asked to set up, daft idea but I took the job on knowing that you GR8 :laughing: Gurus would be able to put me right. Having read the first 20 pages or so of the manual, well up to the point of where it says leave the power supply connect for the first 12Hrs' sorted some 4Hr's left to go; I left instruction to switch off the power supply when the 12Hr's are up, the Laptop is already turned off.

After I first switched on the "Dell Welcome Screen" thanking you for purchasing your "Dell Laptop" it went into "Dell" let me take over your PC set up by default, I couldn't see away around this without accepting it.

Anyway it done what ever it did insisted on making a back-up somewhere on the hard drive and then Re-Booted the Laptop, proceeded to ask for User account names etc, which was input as requested all sorted OK.

My friends Hubby then chirped up saying that the man in the shop said "You need this to protect your PC" guess what it was "Norton PC Security" not installed as yet, but hubby insist in having it put on this Laptop as he bought the CD. As opposed to using all the FREE Security I use on my PC... Now if you can give me all the pro's & con's before I go back tomorrow then GR8, but not to worry.

? On installing "Norton" will it fight with what ever "Dell" set up on first start up.

Regards

El Tel

If it's the 2009 or 2010 version of Norton, then I'd use it without hesitation. It gets top nods in every review I've read. Be sure though, that if there's already something on it, to uninstall it first before putting Norton on.

I never could pay for security software, not when it's M$' fault and there's so many free options available.

Dump Norton with their special removal tool, install Avira free for live protection, and make sure you download Malwarebytes Anti-Malware and SUPERAntiSpyware for on demand scanning. Spyware Blaster wouldn't hurt and keep the firewall up.

Otherwise, you better get the Windex out real fast...

Hi

If it's the 2009 or 2010 version of Norton, then I'd use it without hesitation.

All I could see on the box was Ver 3, still not installed.

It gets top nods in every review I've read.

Have you got the link for us to go off and read...

Be sure though, that if there's already something on it, to uninstall it first before putting Norton on.

There is only what "Dell" insisted on installing, which turned out to be "MacFee" security suite

I never could pay for security software, not when it's M$' fault and there's so many free options available.

Dump Norton with their special removal tool, install Avira free for live protection, and make sure you download Malwarebytes Anti-Malware and SUPERAntiSpyware for on demand scanning. Spyware Blaster wouldn't hurt and keep the firewall up.

Otherwise, you better get the Windex out real fast...

My kinda language FREE I just that word...

I've set the Laptop up so I can gain access from here to save me having to rush round in the event of any help required, I'll be just a phone call away for them.

Regards

El Tel

Hi

All I could see on the box was Ver 3, still not installed.

Have you got the link for us to go off and read...

There is only what "Dell" insisted on installing, which turned out to be "MacFee" security suite

My kinda language FREE I just that word...

I've set the Laptop up so I can gain access from here to save me having to rush round in the event of any help required, I'll be just a phone call away for them.

Regards

El Tel

http://www.av-comparatives.org/images/stor...vc_report24.pdf

http://www.pcworld.com/reviews/collection/...virus_2010.html

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2351871,00.asp

How much is Symantec payin' you Tx?

Not a thing. I promote products that I'm very pleased w/. I use Avira 's paid suite on my lappy and when someone asks for a recommendation on a free av app, I recommend Avira since the GUI on Avast is atrocious.

I too, used to be a Symantec hater until it came time to change or renew Trend Micro last year. I did my homework and tried others first before trying NIS and everything I read was true about its performance. I NEVER recommend Norton 360, just NIS.

Why do you have such disdain for Symantec? Have you put your money where your mouth is and actually tried the two most recent iterations?

Not a thing. I promote products that I'm very pleased w/. I use Avira 's paid suite on my lappy and when someone asks for a recommendation on a free av app, I recommend Avira since the GUI on Avast is atrocious.

I too, used to be a Symantec hater until it came time to change or renew Trend Micro last year. I did my homework and tried others first before trying NIS and everything I read was true about its performance. I NEVER recommend Norton 360, just NIS.

Why do you have such disdain for Symantec? Have you put your money where your mouth is and actually tried the two most recent iterations?

I used Symantec's products years ago and they were horrible. I do not use paid security applications anymore, and if I did, I would likely use Avira (I agree, Avast! looks horrible).

In my mind, there's no reason to spend a dime fixing Microsoft's mess. There's viable free options that will suffice just fine. If there was no free version, I wouldn't even install Windows to my HDD since I use it about 1% of the time.

My comment was said in jest, since the product you offered costs a pretty decent chunk of money. Obviously you like the product and that's fine. But answer this question: What can you do for 50 bucks with Norton that I cannot do for free with Avira, MBAM, and SUPER?

:b33r:

Edited by adam22

I used Symantec's products years ago and they were horrible. I do not use paid security applications anymore, and if I did, I would likely use Avira (I agree, Avast! looks horrible).

In my mind, there's no reason to spend a dime fixing Microsoft's mess. There's viable free options that will suffice just fine. If there was no free version, I wouldn't even install Windows to my HDD since I use it about 1% of the time.

My comment was said in jest, since the product you offered costs a pretty decent chunk of money. Obviously you like the product and that's fine. But answer this question: What can you do for 50 bucks with Norton that I cannot do for free with Avira, MBAM, and SUPER?

:b33r:

I don't pay Symantecs price. As a matter of fact, I got a yrs subscription,for 3 PC's for free, from Symantec.

And to answer your question, only run one application that uses 0n average, 7 megs of ram or less,have a spam filter, have filtering software for my kids... ;)

Posted Image

Edited by Tx Redneck

Hi Redneck

Thanks for these links.

I have another question that requires :h3lp:

This Laptop is connected to a standard UK Virgin Media modem at the moment with two outlet connections, while this is only temporary; until they can get a wireless router out of "Virgin Media" I can't see why not. I did...

? When this home Laptop is connected to the Internet, her husband can't connect his works Laptop at the same time.

I can get them to work one at a time by disconnecting one, but I have to switch the power off to the modem, which indicates this must reset the modem, because if I don't which ever one was on first, blocks the other until I powering down; I hope this make some sense.

Now here is the important bit, what ever is suggested; must in no way interfere with the working of the works Laptop and no means of file sharing between works Laptop and the home Laptop. Just the ability to connect to the Internet at the same time if this is at all possible.

This is where I feel I'm going to be out of my depth, so please any :h3lp: here must be in layman's terms suitable for a prime :thud: ID 10 T user... :rofl2:

Regards

El Tel

Sounds to me that you've found a "solution", albeit a pain. That's kinda odd though.

So if connect another PC after one is already connected and on the net, the second won't connect.

Hi

Sounds to me that you've found a "solution", albeit a pain.

Yes

So if connect another PC after one is already connected and on the net, the second won't connect.

Spot on :tup: ...

I've been doing some more research, but I am struggling to get my head around all the technical jargon to do with Networking two PC's over one Internet.

This lead me to look in "Help & Support" on my PC and there is a "Network Wizard" but until I next visit my friend, I have no idea what questions this is going to throw at me. I haven't clicked on this wizard on my PC, as I don't have a spare PC and it might hang on me waiting for another PC?

Regards

El Tel

Hi

Yes

Spot on :tup: ...

I've been doing some more research, but I am struggling to get my head around all the technical jargon to do with Networking two PC's over one Internet.

This lead me to look in "Help & Support" on my PC and there is a "Network Wizard" but until I next visit my friend, I have no idea what questions this is going to throw at me. I haven't clicked on this wizard on my PC, as I don't have a spare PC and it might hang on me waiting for another PC?

Regards

El Tel

You might have your friend contact the ISP about his equipment(router/modem provided it's supplied by them) and have them trouble shoot it. If it's not, post back and we'll get the issue figured out one way or another. I would do that FIRST before attempting to do any networking.

Edited by Tx Redneck

I don't pay Symantecs price. As a matter of fact, I got a yrs subscription,for 3 PC's for free, from Symantec.

I always wondered why you pushed symantec so much myself.....
  • 4 weeks later...

Hi.

Happy New Year to everyone

I have another question that requires :h3lp:

Going back to this ? below

This Laptop is connected to a standard UK Virgin Media modem at the moment with two outlet connections, while this is only temporary; until they can get a wireless router out of "Virgin Media" I can't see why not. I did...

? When this home Laptop is connected to the Internet, her husband can't connect his works Laptop at the same time.

I can get them to work one at a time by disconnecting one, but I have to switch the power off to the modem, which indicates this must reset the modem, because if I don't which ever one was on first, blocks the other until I powering down; I hope this make some sense.

This is now sorted, as they have been out a bought a "Netgear wireless router, 7 internal Antenna, 4 wired Outlet Ports, with (flashy way cool) flashing circular blue lights on top.

Please any :h3lp: here must be in layman's terms suitable for a prime :thud: ID 10 T user... :rofl2:

Right I'm at this point with both Lap Tops connected at the same time, but I can't find away to get a Padlock visible, all the others that show up in the area have one except this "Netgear" one, when I click on this it says "Unsecure"... I need to be able to get this "Pad Locked" and the instruction don't give this information...

Regards

El Tel

Hi...

I should have mentioned this with my last post.

The operating system I can tell you is "Windows 7"

My friends Hubby then chirped up saying that the man in the shop said "You need this to protect your PC" guess what it was "Norton PC Security" not installed as yet, but hubby insist in having it put on this Laptop as he bought the CD. As opposed to using all the FREE Security I use on my PC...

Since the "Welcome Screen from DEL" I found out that MacAfee was bundled up within, and after a question back at the shop, we found out this was only a free trial for 28 days.

I have now un-installed MacAfee and installed Norton.

Thanks for the link for the Netgear site, but I must be missing something from there instruction and following an old post from 2007 with this same problem on this forum. Checking out links from that post, this issue has been around long before 2003 :rofl2: . These manufactures still haven't got their heads together and come up with a simple "Plug & Play" option that only asks you for a "Password" and then sorts the rest out for you. Perhaps we will have to wait until 2020 for that :laughing: but for now I'm pulling out :pullhair: what bit I've got left :thud:

Regards

El Tel

Hi

The wireless Router is "Netgear WPN824v3" and the first thing it done was to update its own software ( And it was Brand New :rolleyes: out the Box ) I also located the user manual, I have also found some GR8 walk you through Video Tutorials. though these don't relate to "Windows 7 Home"

by the way I've got the padlock :clap: showing :rofl2: but I'm locked out :thud: when going through the "setting up the router" I note that when you select "Europe" then "WEP" ( for now ) and "Security Encryption (WEP)" as is. I then entered a Passphrase, click on generate. I get 4 keys where they only show one. I left it defaulted to the first one and wrote it down, took a screen shot & copied and pasted it into a .txt file; removed all leading and trailing spaces ( Thinking I'm not got to forget this ) then I click "APPLY" Then "Logged Out" recieving a message Thank you your Router is set up or something.

I also chose an different Name ( SSID ) from just Netgear as in the previous 8 attempts I noted on the Lap Top when you look what is available there was "Netgear", "Netgear 1" through to 8 after I changed the SSID I could see this one as well. I then deleted from the Lap Top all but the New SSID

This Tutorial in particular does not tally at all with "Windows 7". I don't get "Enter key generated" for some reason in "Windows 7" nor the tick box to let "Windows" do the rest, after you select the router SSID to connect to the Internet. It is at this point I get locked out :h3lp: I have the cable still connected and I can get access the Internet that way, but nothing using "Wireless"... I did say earlier that I was a Prime ID 10 T PC user :laughing: The error message says something like "See your Administrator" me. Get "Remote Assistance" me, and "Try Test Diagnose problem" with no luck, just an ------ X ----- showing no wireless connection, close window.

Regards

El Tel

Hi

Thanks for that link and it looks like I had worked out which ones to open. :clap:

On my way round there this morning, I called to pick up another Netgear router from her daughters who is not using it at the moment, along with her "Passphrase". On power downing the modem and connecting this other "Netgear " wireless router which the Lap Top detected and once the passphrase was entered connected to the Internet first time.

Conclusion

The brand new router could be faulty :thud: anyway that is now on its way back to the shop to be exchanged :rolleyes: . Hopefully that will sort it...

Just a thought, or I can start a new topic... Like with my XP I have "System Restore" scheduled on log on, which only works in Administrative mode. Once that is sorted, I log out and switch to my limited user. As per my instruction for all Lap Top users at my friends, by default and until they get some confidence all users are set to limited & a "Guest Account" for the Grandchildren.

I found out that its called "System Protect" in "Windows 7" but I've not managed to get this scheduled on start up, if this is at all possible.

Regards

El Tel

Edited by El Tel

Hi.

Wireless router exchanged and following your last link, all is set up & working fine complete with padlock :clap:

I found out that its called "System Protect" in "Windows 7" but I've not managed to get this scheduled on start up, if this is at all possible.

I would still like to find away for this on "Start Up or Log On"

If I'm not mistaken, it makes a "System Snapshot" at every boot or volume mounting.

I had a look as though I was going to do a "System Restore" and it is not making its own "Snap Shots". Could I be missing some tick box as "Windows 7" setting are so different to "XP"

Regards

El Tel

http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/697-s...int-create.html

By default in Windows 7, restore points are created once per day at 12 AM and at startup by a task in Task Scheduler, and before significant system events such as a program or driver installation.

These restore points contain information about registry settings and other system information that Windows 7 uses. System Restore points do not include the personal user files.