Change Mode

can I connect two different brands of routers?

I want to hook up a second router, but I'm having trouble getting it working.

It shouldn't matter if the routers are two different brands, right?

the first router connected is a wired linksys BEFSR41-CA router.

the wireless one I want to add is a D-link DI-524

I tried connecting the D-link router to the linksys and then I ran the connection wizard but its not connecting. I haven't even tried the wireless yet.

here's the setup so far.

I've got the modem connected to the linksys router WAN port.

and from there I have the ethernet cable connected to the uplink port coming from the linksys router and going into the WAN port of the D-Link router.

I then connected an ethernet cable from one of the D-link ports to another computer.

I followed the booklet's instructions and went through the connection wizard , it said everything went ok. but now I can't even get back into it when I type in admin.

should I just hit the reset with a paper clip and start over?

does it sound like I've got everything wired correctly?

Yes, you can connect different brands, but why exactly do you want two routers?

Do you just want more ports?

If that's the case what you need is a router and a switch, but you can use a second router if you turn off the DHCP server on one of them. You can only have one DHCP server on a network.

Can we presume that you are attempting to access the D-Link from the computer that is receiving internet access via ethernet cable, from the D-Link router?

And further, that it is the same computer you used to ran the connection wizard?

Most D-Link default are:

Username: Admin

Password: Blank (leave it blank)

a few are:

Username: Admin

Password: Admin

A few are:

Username: User

Password: Blank

Have a look in your user-manual or here: http://www.phenoelit-us.org/dpl/dpl.html

or

Here: http://www.routerpasswords.com/index.asp

Note: It is recommended to create your own username and password if the Router allows you to do so

When I added a wireless router to my network I believe I added as a switch instead of a router. Did it by connecting the wireless through a normal ethernet to the wired router then use another wired port on the wireless router to connect one of the computers.

In my case the wired router was in my apartment upstairs and the wireless router was on the first floor in my son's apartment for them to have wireless connection for their laptops :geezer:

Yes, you can connect different brands, but why exactly do you want two routers?

Do you just want more ports?

If that's the case what you need is a router and a switch, but you can use a second router if you turn off the DHCP server on one of them. You can only have one DHCP server on a network.

I just thought it might be easier that way , since I already had it set up.

I'm pretty much a novice at this so I didn't really want to touch it, and just add the new router.

I've decided to scrap that idea, however , since I don't have a switch .

I'll just be setting up the wireless router instead.

I'm not sure whats happened now , though. I set the password , but now every time I try to change something its telling me only the admin can apply the changes .

how do I reset this thing ? can I just hit the reset with a paperclip and start over ?

do I need to unplug it ?

Sanford,

Do you happen to be running Vista or Windows 7.

If so, and you are attempting to access D-link Configuration via your browser, you may need to open your browser as: "Run as Administrator". <-- I don't know that as a fact, just trying to think what might be blocking you from access.

Close all instances of Browsers.

Right-Click on Internet Explorer

Select: run as administrator

Enter your D-Link Router address

Does that work for you?

(if you are running any flavor of XP, the above would not be necessary, unless you are running in a Limited User Account - not an account in the Administrator Group)

no , I'm using XP.

I was reading the manual , it say to hit the reset to restore factory settings.

I've tried that a couple of times with no luck.

the very first time I tried it , I followed the quick setup guide and typed in admin , left the password blank and got access to the setup wizard.

now , every time I try it I can't get into the setup wizard.

if I type in user and leave the password blank it'll go into the wizard , but at the end of the process it tells me that only the admin can make changes.

I don't know exactly what happened just now, but I hit the reset button again and now its working .

I'm not complaining , but I really would like to know why it wasn't working and what I did to get to work .

I'm gonna try to connect my laptop via the wireless now.

hope that doesn't give me the same headache.

ok, the pc's connected using ethernet are working fine now.

but when I try to find the wireless signal, its not showing up.

Edited by Sanford

"Some" laptops have a switch/button at the front edge of the keyboard case to "turn-on/turn-off" wireless access. Check that.

have you walked through the windows zero configuration on your laptop to connect via wireless?

"Some" laptops have a switch/button at the front edge of the keyboard case to "turn-on/turn-off" wireless access. Check that.

have you walked through the windows zero configuration on your laptop to connect via wireless?

the laptop I'm using has windows 7 dual boot with Ubuntu 9.04.

I haven't tried the windows zero configuration thing you're talking about. I'll look into it.

I'm pretty sure its not a switch turned off, I can still pick up wireless signals from others nearby, just not my own router.

I tried my psp as well and I don't see it.

how do I know if its even sending out a signal?

Edited by Sanford

Why don't you just use the D-link router and remove the linksys router? The D-Link does have four ethernet ports in addition to the wireless

hi joe,

yeah , I did that already.

I've only got the D-link connected right now. I can access the net through the ethernet connected pc's but I can't get the wireless signal.

at the moment something is wrong , though. I tried typing in 192.168.0.1 to get access to the router like before but I can't even get that now.

I also tried to ping the router as instructed to do so in the cd manual , but I'm getting timed out.

so I've got to gain access with the router again before I go any further now.

I tried resetting the factory settings but that's not working either. I'm gonna have another try at that , and post the results.

your Router may have its radio broadcast feature turned off.

If you wish more detailed assistance, please be specific about both your computer that is involved and your D-Link router model number.

your Router may have its radio broadcast feature turned off.

If you wish more detailed assistance, please be specific about both your computer that is involved and your D-Link router model number.

I'd go in and check that the radio broadcast isn't turned off , but I can't seem to gain access anymore.

I stated the model # in the first post, D-link DI-524

I'm trying to set it up using a desktop pc with XP running.

the laptop which I'll be trying the wireless will have windows 7 and Ubuntu 9.04 on it. but I haven't gotten to that part yet.

I was about to try to set up the wireless but I'm stuck at this part again. What I can't understand is why I can't get access to the configuration menu for the router when I could just a while ago. I don't think I changed anything , but something must have.

I also don't understand why it won't reset back to the factory defaults when I hit the reset and hold it for 10 seconds like it says to do in the paperwork. :pullhair:

I just tried this again after doing another reset, now I'm able to ping the router and gain access to it by typing in the URL ,and I ran the setup wizard again but now I get no internet.

I don't get it, why is it one or the other?

I was just watching some youtube videos trying to figure out what's wrong, what do you guys think of the D-link routers?

more than a few posts I saw , the people were saying these are crappy routers. is that true?

Edited by Sanford

You can get the manual for the D=Link here

http://www.dlink.com/products/?tab=3&p...&rev=DI-524

I did not see but will post avyway......You need to be wired to the router to access and make changes so use a wired pc to access, Do not set up security until you can be sure you can access it wirelessly first, then set up wap/password security

Don't use the wizard to set up the router. Reset the router then reboot the computer and see if you can get to the internet.If you can click the wireless tab and set your ssid to something so you can tell it from other networks ,turn wep off and set channel to 6 or 11.

Turn on your laptop or wireless computer,if it can't see your wireless network the radio in your router isn't working .

You can get the manual for the D=Link here

http://www.dlink.com/products/?tab=3&p...&rev=DI-524

I did not see but will post avyway......You need to be wired to the router to access and make changes so use a wired pc to access, Do not set up security until you can be sure you can access it wirelessly first, then set up wap/password security

I have the manual, I am wired to the router.

Don't use the wizard to set up the router. Reset the router then reboot the computer and see if you can get to the internet.If you can click the wireless tab and set your ssid to something so you can tell it from other networks ,turn wep off and set channel to 6 or 11.

Turn on your laptop or wireless computer,if it can't see your wireless network the radio in your router isn't working .

ok, I tried this and I found the wireless signal. So , now I know that's working.

I've narrowed it down to something being wrong with my DSL settings , I'm not getting connected to the WAN .

when I check the status of the router , its saying disconnected, but when I try to connect it won't connect.

I've tried dynamic and static PPPoE and tried playing around with the DNS addresses.

The frustrating thin is that I had it working at one point yesterday , but now I screwed something up trying to get the wireless working and can't figure out what.

F this , I gotta leave this for a while and come back later.

I may be loosing track again. Sorry.

You would need to configure the D-Link Router using PPOE, if it is the only, or the first router, coming directly off the DSL Modem.

If you still have the LinkSys as the first Router and are connecting from one of the LinkSys LAN ethernet ports to your D-Link WAN port, then you would set D-link to accept connection automatically as assigned by the LinkSys Router.

Hope this helps. But if I'm off track with your sequence simply ignore.

hi Doug,

thanks for bearing with me through all this.

I've removed the linksys router.

I think badbob , and you are correct , and I need to config this using the PPoE .

I'm trying that now.

on that page where I'm setting it up ,though, it asking for a password . is it asking me to put in a new password , or is it asking for the password to the modem?

I can't remember the password to the modem, if it is asking for that. it was a couple of years ago that I set that old one up. I'll have to see if I wrote it down somewhere.

FINALLY, I got this damn thing working.

thanks for all the help guys.

it turned out to be the PPPoE username and password , I went back to the forum of the my ISP and they said to check the paperwork which came with my modem and I found the password. reset the router, and started over and got it working.

For PPOE configuration, you are asked for your username and password that gains you access to your ISP account.

Generally, that is your ISP given email address and the password to access that ISP given email address.

If you've forgotten it/them, you can contact your ISP via telephone, prove your identity and they will tell you your user name and create a temporary password that you can then change to your preference. It can be the same one you used before or a different one, but must conform to the ISP's protocol of minimum number of characters, use of both letters and numbers (usually beginning with a letter) and including both upper and lower case letters and a limited assortment of special characters as allowed by the ISP. (special characters such as !#$%:/?.

As simple as home networks are made to be, it is one of the single most frustrating areas for me to work on when it's not working.