Change Mode

6 phase defrag for PC Matic?

Bronxboy47

I just purchased and installed PC Pitstop PC Matic. I did an initial scan and reboot, and then followed the suggestion that I repeat the process. However, this time the defrag process, which took no more than three phases to complete on the first scan and took less than half an hour, on the second scan seemed to get stuck, passing through five phases and on into a sixth before I pulled the plug on it. In fact those five phases took almost two hours to complete. Is this normal?

:wp:

That normally should not happen unless the scan options change between runs, which could happen without user input if the boot drive is named something other than C.

The first one or two phases are the actual defrag.

Any additional phases are the disk optimization where every file on the hard dirve is relocated to be as close to the outside edge of the disk platter as possible.

There are no set number of phases. It is not really a linear operation and will use as many phases as necessary to complete the task. After PC Matic has completed the optimization once, it should be much faster in future runs.

You can go to the My PC's screen and click on Options>Scan Options and change the disk optimization from full to partial if you want to speed up the process.

:wp:

That normally should not happen unless the scan options change between runs, which could happen without user input if the boot drive is named something other than C.

The first one or two phases are the actual defrag.

Any additional phases are the disk optimization where every file on the hard dirve is relocated to be as close to the outside edge of the disk platter as possible.

There are no set number of phases. It is not really a linear operation and will use as many phases as necessary to complete the task. After PC Matic has completed the optimization once, it should be much faster in future runs.

You can go to the My PC's screen and click on Options>Scan Options and change the disk optimization from full to partial if you want to speed up the process.

So, if I understand you correctly, you're saying the 2 hour plus defrag time is perfectly normal initially, and that I acted impatiently by pulling the plug on the process. Okay, I'll start the scan just before retiring tonight and see what awaits me in the morning. Thanks for your response.

Yes, depending on the size and speed of the drive and the amount of data, two hours would not be unusual for a first run. Please let us know if the process is not much faster the second time.

Archived