Change Mode

Microsoft bans up to 1 million Xbox Live users

Anywhere between an estimated 600,000 and 1 million players who use Microsoft's Xbox Live gaming service will be cut off from the service because they have modified their game consoles or played games that were illegally downloaded from file-sharing sites, according to the company.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/33866696/ns/te...d_science-games

Wonder how they would know if someone is running a modified box?

Edited by KRAM

I know they get banned when they go on a game earlier since ripped versions usually come out a couple weeks before the release date. But just using already released games (although obtained illegally) not sure how they would get caught.

I don't see how hardware modifications are illegal, though it's faily obvious why ripped software is.

I don't see how hardware modifications are illegal, though it's faily obvious why ripped software is.

agreed :tup:

you can l;ook on youtube for "modded xbox 360" and you can see some of the coolest mods almost like cases for computers, with lights and extra fans, they even have water cooled xbox 360s :pullhair:

i have 2 xbox 360s, one is an elite and the other is an old one that the dvd tray dont work i think im gonna mod the old one with a new dvd drive :shifty:

How would M$ even know if you did? Does the system report to M$ what components are installed in it?

I suppose that what you agree to is well, what you agree to. I think the agreement itself is improper. My point being that once you purchase a system, it should be yours. End of subject. Software rights are different, and I agree that any "pirated" software should be subject to an EULA. Hardware that we purchase, should not be.

However, that is merely a difference of opinion, as the standard seems to state otherwise.

The software "calls home" to report it's usage

September 2008, Microsoft says that players are to use "only authorized software and hardware to access the Service," and that they agree that their software and hardware "have not been modified in any unauthorized way ...

and that we have the right to send data, applications or other content to any software or hardware that you are using to access the Service for the express purpose of detecting an unauthorized modification."

We called it spyware just a couple years ago.......

Edited by Joe C

The software "calls home" to report it's usage

September 2008, Microsoft says that players are to use "only authorized software and hardware to access the Service," and that they agree that their software and hardware "have not been modified in any unauthorized way ...

and that we have the right to send data, applications or other content to any software or hardware that you are using to access the Service for the express purpose of detecting an unauthorized modification."

We called it spyware just a couple years ago.......

Whoa, I still call it that too.

i was one of those people who got banned =/ but anyway they can detect what firmware you have on your Xbox becuase in order to mod your 360 you need to add a new firmware to the DVD drive and there has been people who NEVER played a backup game (or downloaded) game on the 360 yet and still get banned....they dont ban your gamertag just the console

Seems that the best way to avoid this crap is to stop buying x-boxes, and find or invent something that's open, .......opportunity knocks for an open game console

i just wish xbox 360 was blu ray, because like when madden 10 was realeased the 360 version is much more polished, but small things on the ps3 version were bugging me in previous versions (09, 08. etc..)

like no ball spin when you pass the ball. i was curious and found out the game was designed on the 360, buit ported over to the ps3 for a multi console release. meaning the blu ray capabilities could hold much more data and that means 360 users would be mad because they could not get all the features of the ps3.

360 blu ray is the answer to both console problems, blu ray = better capabilities of the 360, and also = better capabilities for the ps3.

only downfall is if microsoft put blu ray player in there consoles ps3 would drop even further because of the suers that bought a ps3 based on blu ray technology. xbox live is far better then ps3 network, but you get what you "pay" for i guess

Not at all Duane. Their discs aren't HD DVD, they are just dual layed DVDs. They had an expensive external attachment for HD DVDs which made it cost more than a PS3 so it was pointless. Blu Ray is of much higher quality.

Also, the PSN is great. All the features of 360 and more, and it's free. I love it.

Seems to me the PS3 is a better all around choice. I wouldn't mind getting one, but I would probably buy a used one that also plays the PS2 games. I hear they are getting harder to find though.

Be better off just using a PS2 in my opinion. You will end up paying just as much for an older PS3 with a smaller HDD than the new slimline version...FYI 2 free games with ps3 on Black Friday @ Best Buy.

I already have a PS2, that's why I would want the older PS3 that plays the PS2 games so I wouldn't have 2 consoles. Does the older PS3 play the PS2 games just like the PS2 would? Can the hd be upgraded to a bigger one on the older PS3?

I dig Guitar Hero :ax: and Gran Turismo :drive: . GH 3 loads super slow on PS2 and the latest Gran Turismo is PS3 only.