Sign in to follow this  
JaxMacFL

15,444 Top 4%

Very nice. :clap:

You still using the CNPS9900LED in your signature for the cpu? Wondering how your temps are full load @ 4.2Ghz?

Running vantage temps top out in the high 70s to low 80s at 4.2GHz. Running my normal 3.8GHz they run my games in the mid 60s. Weird part is that it will run at 3.8GHz with vcore @ 1.29 but to get to 4.2GHz I have to jump to 1.44v.

Edited by JaxMacFL

1.44v does seem to be on the high side @ 4.2Ghz. What settings (fsb, multi, ram) are you using to get there?

Wish I knew the ASUS bios. Some around here are running ASUS, maybe they will stick their head in here and give some tips.

For benching:

Ai OC Tuner: X.M.P.

CPU Ratio: 21

Intel SpeedStep: Disabled

BCLK Freq 200

QPI/DRAM : DDR3-1603

DRAM Timing: 8-8-8-21-1N

CPU Voltage: 1.44

CPU PLL Voltage: 1.96

QPI/DRAM Core Voltage: 1.40

DRAM Bus Voltage: 1.64

Load-Line Cal: Enabled

CPU Diff Amp: 800mV

CPU Spread Spec: Disabled

PCIE Spread Spec: Disabled

The rest are set to AUTO

Graphics cards are 800/965

I can boot and game with CPU voltage at 1.38v, CPU PLL at 1.90 and QPI/DRAM Core at 1.38 with the above settings, but running benchmarks stress it a little to much.

Oh, my i7-940 is a 'C0' revision, not a 'D0'.

Edited by JaxMacFL

Ram is too tight, set it to 8-8-8-24 <--- running under 25 is considered very tight. Also bring the ram voltage up to at least 1.65v

Set the IOH voltage to equal the QPI voltage (1.40v)

Set the CPU PLL Voltage to auto.

Give the cpu voltage a shot at 1.40v

See how this goes.

Ram is too tight, set it to 8-8-8-24 <--- running under 25 is considered very tight. Also bring the ram voltage up to at least 1.65v

Set the IOH voltage to equal the QPI voltage (1.40v)

Set the CPU PLL Voltage to auto.

Give the cpu voltage a shot at 1.40v

See how this goes.

Tried those settings and it was a no-go. Froze up during the cpu 1 test in vantage. Pretty much needs 1.44v to complete.

I found my 24-7 sweet spot at 3.8GHz (23 x 166), CPU PLL at 1.90v, QPI/DRAM Core Voltage at 1.29v and CPU voltage at 1.29v with ram timings at 8-8-8-21-1N. When I type in 1.65 for ram voltage it sets at 1.66, so I just keep it at 1.64 and err on the side of safety. Runs cool and stable with no problems running any games I play......fo3, gta4, tdu, gta:sa, tw2008, fuel, fc2...

Edited by JaxMacFL

Have you tried 200 x 20 for 4Ghz? I have been running 24/7 with that setting while running two folding smp clients. To get this stable for running two smp clients (that's 100% load 24/7) I have to use 1.30v to the cpu. Pretty much all other settings are the same as yours except what I mentioned. I can run at 1.26v with no problems and pass all stress test I throw at it except the 24/7 folding.

One thing I just remembered as I got to the end of this is I have HT turned off. Only time I ever turn it on is for Pit testing. Other then that it really seems to be a heat producing useless setting for everyday use IMO.

I've read and also found true that the i7-940 doesn't like even multipliers. It prefers the odd ones, e.g. 19, 21, 23.

I have HT enabled when benching. It gives me a higher CPU and total score in Vantage but with a slightly less oc. With it turned off I can get an extra 200MHz and higher GPU score in Vantage but not a total score.

Agree, it's not worth the extra heat when surfing and gaming. I keep it off then.

I did not know that multi preference in the i7 940. One would think if you have an even multi matched with an even fsb it would not matter?

Interesting. Will have to do some testing with the 21 x multi. Odd though I run a setup that dejanh @ xtreme system says should not be stable. 201 x 20 with the ram at 2003Mhz. :shrug:

My box is down right now so I don't have any screen shots, but to get my RAM up to 2000+ MHz I need to drop the RAM multi and raise the BCLK in order to have an option to keep QPI around 4 GHz. Although the P6T bios offers much higher choices, I have not been able to boot any of them.

Each motherboard seems to have a few different options. I can't get the BCLK over 200 unless I drop the RAM speed, and by extension the QPI, down quite a bit. Even then, the highest BCLK I've gotten is 209.

There is also some good stuff here:

http://www.anandtech.com/cpuchipsets/intel...doc.aspx?i=3453

My box is down right now so I don't have any screen shots, but to get my RAM up to 2000+ MHz I need to drop the RAM multi and raise the BCLK in order to have an option to keep QPI around 4 GHz. Although the P6T bios offers much higher choices, I have not been able to boot any of them.

Each motherboard seems to have a few different options. I can't get the BCLK over 200 unless I drop the RAM speed, and by extension the QPI, down quite a bit. Even then, the highest BCLK I've gotten is 209.

There is also some good stuff here:

http://www.anandtech.com/cpuchipsets/intel...doc.aspx?i=3453

Yea...it seems like going over 200bclk is the only problem i have yet to figure out with these boards.

I hit 200x21 and 200x20 and everything goes well....anything over i really have to play around with settings just to get it booted up but nothing is stable yet....