Change Mode

DLP or plasma for gaming

hey guys this is the Tv i have right now philips 50pf9431D its a plasma and latly i been playing alot of halo and left 4 dead and i been noticeing ghosting from the radars and icons and stuff so every night i play a DVD to get rid of them but anyways i got a offer to trade my tv for a nice little RCA HD50LPW175 but this Tv is a DLP and both tv's are 720P so i played with it a little and the sound coming from it sounds sooooooooo good i never heard great sound come from a tv before.. so i hooked up my xbox 360 (HDMI) to it and tested all my games out on it every looks better besides one thing... the tv is not rly bright at all well not near as bright as my plasma but other then that every looks alot better on the DLP the guy told me he replaced the lamp in it 2 months ago (he showed me a recipt for it) i looked up the part number and its a newer type that last alot longer then the standerd ones that came with the Tv so.... which set would you guys go with DLP or Plasma?

probably a cable card. not many devices have them, and not many cable companies talk about them, but it enables everything your cable box could do except video on demand, which is supposed to be coming in the next release/revision, if the technology survives.

but i would also say DLP. the newer generation dlp screens aren't that deep like old school, and the picture is down right amazing. on the other side, some people do suffer from the rainbow crap, but i've yet to actually meet someone that does.

edit>> but pretty much, it should be your pick being that you have played your games on both units. you know exactly what it'll look like. and the unit not bing that bright, he may have the bulb turned down some to lentghen life on it. either way, you can always darken your room to adjust

Edited by wdeydwondrer

well is a DLP that was made in 2007 consider a newer model like in that year did they fix all the bugs out of DLP screens by then? becuase i never get the rainbow effect or the Lagging in video games on mine

i have a Toshiba 57in dlp that i bought around 2007 and i don't have the rainbow effect and don't lag in video games at all.

so far the bulb still kicking lol sense i bought it new in 2007 that's the ony thing i worry about going on it..

but other than that i love it:)

when i go look in big stores i look at lcds and plasmas and to me they don't look as good as my dlp at all.

oh and for not being bright its problee to save on the bulb life like wdeyd said:)

i keep mine down to sense its not needed in my living room and seems like it saves on the bulb alot hopefully i could get at least another year before replacing the bulb.

oh and for sound ya the sound is really nice on them problee sense they bigger than lcds and plasmas they have that big booming and clear sound i use it sometimes when i don't feel like turning on my coby home theater which is a pain to turn on...

Edited by gordesky1

I cant stand DLP.

My Insignia and Pioneer 42" plasmas have been doing fine. Been gaming on that Pioneer since 2004 and been gaming on this insignia since 07. The Insignia gets daily use since its my monitor and even after hours of gameplay im still fine.

I say go buy one of these cheep insignias and enjoy lol

why cant you stand a dlp if i may ask?

Its hideous, hurts my eyes is a big thing. I think the DLP TV was a good concept, but even if they claim better picture, I cant tell. But ghosting shouldnt happen on a healthy TV.

kido must be one of the unlucky ones that can actually sense the color wheel turning... rainbowing. most people can't see this and it doesn't effect them, but the few unlucky souls that are affected by this, well, they simply can't watch the tv.

the newer models also have faster wheels/more color panels/multiple bulbs, all sorts of different options to try and make this effect as minimal as possible. some models will spin the wheel upwards of 15k rpm which, depending on the video, yields about 3-4 (or more) wheel rotations per frame. more rotations, less rainbowing chance.

the biggest advancements in DLP was going to a 3 chip projector (which is stupid expensive being it's mainly for theaters) and the use of 3x color lasers instead of a bulb or led light. these eliminate rainbowing. LCoS is another related technology that i like also

edit>> also just an fyi if your interested, DLP is used in realD theaters for the new 3d movies. only machine that is able to produce high enough contrast in a projection setup, and with enough color (about 35 trillion on the 3 chip laser). another addition, reading over the thread again, DLP does not suffer from burn in, so you can game on for days! there is also no lag when using the 360 or ps3 as they are able to use the hd natively. lag comes from the upscaling chips on dlp for some "unkown" reason.

Edited by wdeydwondrer

how many chips does my dlp have? i dont know if mine is consider a "newer" model http://reviews.cnet.com/projection-tvs/rca...?tag=mncol;rnav here are the specs. also i noticed there is a built in DVR type thing and its own tv guide

http://www.hdtvsolutions.com/Philips-50PF9431D-37.htm here are the specs of the plasma which one do you think is better i saw both tvs were about 2grand when they came out

also looked at parts for both tvs for the dlp set the bulbs color wheel was only like 80$ on ebay and for the plasma for like new parts for that they were in the 200$ range and look way hard to work on

Edited by IceBear