Change Mode

windows 7

I could use some advice.

I need to buy a new computer, mine is 7 yrs old , and starting to go(XP). I have always heard 'never change to a new system when it first comes out because there will always be some bugs to work out'. How long should I wait till I go shopping for a new computer?I need 'workhouse computer'--I don't mind having to spend a few dollars but I don't want to waste the money. I was thinking around Feb. 2010 is when I should start shopping. I should add I am 62 yrs. old, with medium computer skills. Please give me your opinions. Thank you

Might as well get a computer ASAP because any bugs will be fixed hopefully by Microsoft through updates and most likely you will find the best deals during the holiday season.

It's Windows, no matter when you get it, it's always gonna have its problem.

Word of advice, get yourself a computer with at least 2 GB of RAM and a dual core processor (preferably Athlon or Core 2 Duo at least). Avoid Pentium and celeron if you can.

Like Adam says, buy it now, no need to hold back.

No OS is perfect and bug fixes are a fact of life.

Window 7 has been out in the wide world for some time now with a lot of people running the pre release and final release clients (me included), this OS has recieved the largest ammount of testing M$ could do, and more importantley by Joe Public the majority of whom only want to stretch it to it's limits and break it!!

Thanks Adam22 and Nigsy,

Do you have any other advice on specs for a new computer?--anything I can use for a guideline when I do go shopping? My old computer was custum made and it lasted a long time--should I go that route again or stick with a ready made one? Dianne

Depends...if a laptop, not at all. But if a desktop I probably would.

You want a multi core processor and an actual graphics card, no onboard crap. You also want to go 64 bit and 4GB RAM if you can afford it.

Depends...if a laptop, not at all. But if a desktop I probably would.

You want a multi core processor and an actual graphics card, no onboard crap. You also want to go 64 bit and 4GB RAM if you can afford it.

Couldn't agree more :tup:

Not sure what your budget is, have a look on the custom pc part of these forums, post your budget and ask for help :)

Couldn't agree more :tup:

Not sure what your budget is, have a look on the custom pc part of these forums, post your budget and ask for help :)

Again, thanks Adam22 and Nigsy, I appreciate your advice. I should have added that I'm looking at a desktop and hoping not to spend more than $1500 Can. total. I see that I have to do some more homework - Dianne

Well, with that budget I can assure you you're going to get a great machine that can be upgradeable and will last you quite some time. Best Buy had a Gateway Quad Core with 4 GB of RAM for 499, only problem is the graphics is garbage. With a custom PC you'll be able to get a machine with a nice card, a better cooling system, and any extras like bluetooth and bluray that you want. Nigsy was right in posting a topic in the custom forum, they'll get you the most bang for your buck.

Only one more word of advice from me. If you choose to buy Windows 7 for a custom machine, I would get the OEM version. You'll only be able to use it on one computer, but it costs about half (I believe) from the regular version which allows you to install it on multiple computers. So unless you plan to throw it on several computers, it really isn't worth it.

Have fun.