PC Pitstop makes my computer performance worse

acpdltd

I have an old computer and I put PC Pitstop onto it in the hope that it would quicken it up a little. The effect it's had on my computer has been disastrous with my programs now taking up to 2 minutes to load and everything now runs so slowly. I can't believe this program has made my computer almost unusable!!!

My system is:

AMD Athlon XP 1.1GHz 256Mb RAM

Hard drive 111Gb with 64Gb free space

Windows XP Professional 2002 with Service Pack3

Kaspersky Internet Security 2010

Firefox used

MS Office 2007 used

Can anyone out there help please as the computer nearly went through the bedroom window last night !!!!

Edited by acpdltd

:wp:

It looks like you first installed Optimize 3.0 on July 15. There is nothing in the program that is going to make the computer start running slowly four months later.

With only 256MB of memory, the computer is really not adequate for running XP service pack 3. Our recommendation is at least 512MB of memory, and 1 GB would be even better.

A 1.1 GHz single core processaor is also going to be brought to its knees trying to run today's huge software products.

If there were pending Windows updates or other file modifications at the time Optimize 2.0 was run, that could cause the issue you are seeing. Rebooting a few times will clear out the pending updates.

To verify if the issue is related to running Optimize, you can undo the changes Optimize 2.0 made to your system, if there were any after using the program for four months. Open the program and put a dot by 'Review previous runs, or restore settings' and then select each entry in the restore list starting at the top, and click Restore. Then reboot. If that fails to correct the problem, go to Start>Programs>Accessories>System Tools>System Restore and restore your computer to the first restore point before the issue began.

If you post an OverDrive link we can see what is taking place on your computer and may be able to offer suggeastions to help. You will need to register an account, login, and run the full tests from the link below, then copy and paste the URL from the results page into your reply:

http://www.pcpitstop.com/betapit/

If you need help, there is a tutorial here:

http://forums.pcpitstop.com/html/helpfiles/techexphelp.htm

:wp:

It looks like you first installed Optimize 3.0 on July 15. There is nothing in the program that is going to make the computer start running slowly four months later.

With only 256MB of memory, the computer is really not adequate for running XP service pack 3. Our recommendation is at least 512MB of memory, and 1 GB would be even better.

A 1.1 GHz single core processor is also going to be brought to its knees trying to run today's huge software products.

If there were pending Windows updates or other file modifications at the time Optimize 2.0 was run, that could cause the issue you are seeing. Rebooting a few times will clear out the pending updates.

To verify if the issue is related to running Optimize, you can undo the changes Optimize 2.0 made to your system, if there were any after using the program for four months. Open the program and put a dot by 'Review previous runs, or restore settings' and then select each entry in the restore list starting at the top, and click Restore. Then reboot. If that fails to correct the problem, go to Start>Programs>Accessories>System Tools>System Restore and restore your computer to the first restore point before the issue began.

If you post an OverDrive link we can see what is taking place on your computer and may be able to offer suggeastions to help. You will need to register an account, login, and run the full tests from the link below, then copy and paste the URL from the results page into your reply:

http://www.pcpitstop.com/betapit/

If you need help, there is a tutorial here:

http://forums.pcpitstop.com/html/helpfiles/techexphelp.htm

I got the Optimize 2 software as a freebie in a magazine. I think I only used it once and then decided to purchase it. during the process of purchasing it the system told me that there was a version 3 so I purchased that instead. I think I had to uninstall version 2 before version 3 was installed but I can't remember. I've only run the version 3 program a couple of times since I purchased it as each time it seemed to make my PC go even slower. I'm disappointed with the results so far.

Do you think your above comments stand or is there anything else to add given this extra information?

Edited by acpdltd

The only thing I would change in my above comments is how to verify if the issue is related to Optimize 3.0:

To undo the changes Optimize 3.0 made to the computer, open the program again then click the 'Options' button, and the 'restore settings' tab. Select a date, the click on the 'Restore' button to run the program again to undo the changes. Once the restore completes, reboot the computer. If that fails to correct the issue, go to Start>Programs>Accessories>System Tools>System Restore and select a restore date from before Optimize was installed.

My mistake on putting up the instructions for 2.0.