Change Mode

ubuntu 9.04 driver problems with ati 4890

gordesky1

ok so i saw wubi which you could install that in windows and it wont mess up your windows install so i figured i give it a try again just to mess with sense i need windows sense im a gamer:)

so the install went fine but when i try to enable those cool desktop effects it says i needed a driver and it will install it for me.

so i let it install it and said i need to restart so i did and when it came back to the desktop theres a red amd box in the bottom corner and said not supported but the effects seems to work sense the windows wobble and stuff.

than i got freezing while opening firefox and other programs and stuff started to get really slow so had to restart and the problem is still there.

with out the effects and the driver everything is fine but i cant run 3d stuff sense the driver is not installed.

so is ati aint that great in linux? not supported?

because i also installed it on my laptop asus g50vt-x5 nvidia 9800gts with windows 7 just to mess with sense i use that for gaming to and everything is fine the driver installed fine and effects works and i even installed wine and tried few of my steam games left 4 dead and killing floor and they played just not that great.

when i try wine with my desktop it will freeze and have to quit back to the desktop and that's really slow and have to restart.

ok i know nothing about wubi but i'd start by removing all ati drivers then re-installing them again in the windows os.

i assume wubi is some sort of live cd that installs onto your windows drive so i'd also un-install everything to do with this, then re-install it, but this time don't let it install any drivers.

if it needs ati drivers, while using the wubi os go to the ati site and download the recommended linux drivers and manually install them from within wubi following ati's instructions.

:b33r:

Edited by terry1966

wubi is just a installer not a os it installs unbuntu 9.04 in windows than when you boot up the computer it lets you pick os you have. and doesn't mess with you windows installs.

i also tried to manually install them which i downloaded the drivers from ati but i cant find ati instructions..

ok thanks for explaining what wubi is. :tup:

here's a pdf link to ati's installation :- https://a248.e.akamai.net/f/674/9206/0/www2..._cat99-inst.pdf

but it's more or less just navigate to where you saved the driver and

sh ./ati-dr

hit tab key to fill in the rest of the line, then press enter to run the install and use automatic install and say yes to all questions then reboot.

:b33r:

I found EnvyNG is the easiest way to uninstall or install the ATI driver for my card. System Preferences>Administration>Hardware Drivers in Ubuntu worked just as well for me . I'm not using 9,04 but I think both of those options are there for you.

I'm using Wubi and ATI and Compiz works fine...I just clicked Administration>Hardware Drivers>Activated ATI Propriety driver. I have the ATI Catalyst CC as well...then activated maximum effects and downloaded Compiz control manager.

Thanks terry for that pdf:)

i did what that pdf said but had to run it with super user mode and it poped up the installer and restarted and it worked everything is nice and stable:)

i also tried envyng and it had the same driver i had before which didn't work right

so i just manually did it and it worked:)