Change Mode

Can someone please help me. From the desktop of my office, Outlook Express 6 just did some compacting of folders when I noticed that it hung. Restarted the computer and found my emails in Inbox and Sent folders have all disappear. Only managed to partially recover Inbox but still a big chunk of mails missing. But Sent folders can't seem to recover any mails. :pullhair:

Anyone out there knows anyway for me to recover the mails? Got some real important emails that I need to for reference. :h3lp:

I don't think there is much you can do if the file is corrupted. Found this at the Microsoft website.

Here is something Jojesa suggested in an earlier topic. You might give it a try.

1- Open Outlook Express. Click the Tools menu.

2- Select Options, then click the Maintenance tab.

3- Click the Store Folder button. Browse for the name of the folder where your files were stored. These files often include outgoing email messages or messages that you sent to someone. Write the name of the folder.

4- Close Outlook Express.

5- Double-click the Recycle Bin icon on your desktop.

6- Click "Restore all items" in the left pane (especially “.bak files”).

7- Close the Recycle Bin.

8- Right-click on the Start button and select “Explore”.

9- Find the folder you browsed and did write in step 3**

10- You will see the Sent Items.dbx file and the Sent Items.bak. file.

- Rename the Sent Items.DBX to Sentold.dbx. Rename the Sent Items.Bak to Sent Items.DBX.

- Open Outlook Express. Your messages should be restored.

**Note: You might need to enable hidden folders & Files.

Open any folder, click Tools then select Folder Options and click the View tab. Make sure to check “Show hidden files and folders”, uncheck "Hide protected operating system files", also uncheck “Hide extensions of known file types”.

On Vista enable “Display hidden and system files”.

Edited by Rmc