Sign in to follow this  
KRAM

Daughter wants a laptop

I am thinking about getting my daughter a laptop. Her favorite installed game is Sims 3 and internet game is Runescape. She says the pc at her mom's will barely run Sims 3 and is so slooooooow it's no fun to be on.

So what laptop would you guys suggest? Yes price is a factor and so is looks.

Thanks!

Oh nice. Think she would be ok with 15" screen and is that a good price?

i would think thats a good price for the hardware you get, might wait on a few others to answer. Bruce has a pretty nice Laptop, he might also be able to help.

15 inch monitor and that GPU shouls run sims 3 no problem

I had no idea they where putting a GTX 260 gpu in laptops nowadays. I did some looking around and seems that anything with that gpu is 1G+. Like you said Joe, hardware is good, price looks to be good, just need some input on 15" screen?

well reading the reviews says runs crysis pretty well on high, and another says it runs call of duty waw really good.

15" 1366x768 resolution, thats really not that bad.

DON'T DO IT! WORST BUY'S cust service is a joke @ best. The mobo,in my desktop, ate itself w/in 11 months and I had to personally track down the N Texas regional Mgr to get the PSP honored. BTW, he WAS on vacation at the time.

Their puter folks, The Freak Squad, tried to tell me that the after market GPU, 8400GT, OC'ed the proc and that's why it died.

I still have a bad taste in my mouth over it and it's been nearly 3 yrs. I vowed never to spend another dime w/ them after that.

Oh, I forgot to mention the monitor died @ 13 months and it had to be sent to Freak Squad Central "to be tested" before they'd honor the PSP. Between both incidents, I was w/out a usable puter for 6wks.

Edited by Tx Redneck

Their puter folks, The Freak Squad, tried to tell me that the after market GPU, 8400GT, OC'ed the proc and that's why it died.

ohh if they would have told me that i would have said get the hell out of my house, before i shove the whole computer you know where. geeks squad is a joke, from what i heard is they started out very legit, but now they basicly emply anyone

There ya go Joe, hit up Best Buy for a Geek job. ;)

yea maybe i of all people can show them something haha. like what you say? ohh maybe i can show them how to pick there nose so at least they can show that there stupid before they can charge money from innocent people :laughing:

Buy ASUS if your getting from Bestbuy imo

I love mine :)

I concur, I bought an ASUS G50 laptop and have been thrilled to death with it. Once I removed windows with the OS of my choice it was the best damn laptop I have ever sat down in front of.

So good that I no longer even have a desktop machine. :tup:

Think I'm pretty much going for an ASUS lappy for her.

This one here is about $100 less (with tax) then the Best Buy lappy link Joe gave. Better cpu, but the vid card is a GT 240M, which I think will run her games without any issues.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16834220566

buuuuuut as I stated she wants a Zune HD also.... so I'm not sure if I want to spend that much :surrender: don't want to spend $800 on a lappy to save for getting the Zune HD and have her not like or use the lappy. :pullhair:

looks good, actually compare it to the computer she is playing the sims 3 on and see if this is better? if it is then looks like your all set :tup:

maybe get an extra usb mouse because gaming with the laptop touch pad would be a pain i bet

I have no idea as to what kind of pc her mom has. As for her system here at my house...well she gets my parts when I upgrade, so she is running a Q9650 with a 9800GTX+. :lol:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?sk...d=1218093004316

I just got this one and it's awesome. Similar specs to the ones posted here but so much cheaper. Has touch buttons at the top of keyboard for wifi, volume, touchpad, etc. Good volume, excellent display, and the keyboard has the number pad on the right. 4 USB slots and all the necessary connections included. I get anywhere from 2 to 3 hours of battery life while actually using the computer. Really no complaints. Put Ubuntu on it and get compiz going and it runs like a champ and looks good while it's doin' it.

My friend got a similar ASUS compared to my Gateway, and mine was a lot cheaper and looks nicer and has more features built in, for what that is worth. The only reason he got the ASUS was for the battery life, but it has a smaller screen and a centrino processor, so no wonder it has a longer charge..

Edited by adam22

I just bought this one.

224-6700 Studio 15 Notebook (Studio 1557) $999.00

1 317-2200 Intel Core i7-720QM Quad Core Mobile CPU $0.00

1 317-3080 4GB Shared Dual Channel DDR3 at 1066MHz $0.00

1 330-2937 Standard Keyboard $0.00

1 320-1178 15.6 inch High Definition (720p) LED Display with TrueLife and Camera $0.00

1 421-1777 Dell Webcam Software 1.4 Application Kit $0.00

1 330-5200 512MB ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4570 $0.00

1 341-9704 250G 7200RPM SATA Hard Drive $0.00

1 313-8416 Black Chainlink with Fireball Trim $0.00

1 330-5139 DELL RESOURCE DVD,BACK-UP, 1557 $0.00

1 421-0323 Windows Live Search,Multiple User Interface $0.00

1 420-6436 PC-Restore, Dim/Insp $0.00

1 420-9100 Dell Dock Consumer $0.00

1 463-2282 Dell Owners Manual installed on your system,click on icon after system set-up to access $0.00

1 310-8628 You have chosen a Windows Vista Premium System $0.00

1 420-9319 Microsoft Windows Vista with SP1 Home Premium Edition 64-bit Edition English $0.00

1 420-7938 Dell Connect 2.1 $0.00

1 421-1362 Dell Software,Roxio 1.0 $0.00

1 421-1582 Cyberlink Power DVD 8.3 Playback $0.00

1 421-1445 Cyberlink PowerDVD DX 8.3 Kit $0.00

1 313-8861 8X DVD+/-RW Dual Layer Drive $0.00

1 313-4783 Integrated High Definition Audio 2.2 $0.00

1 430-2929 Dell Wireless 1397 802.11g Half Mini Card $0.00

1 462-3905 I chose the promotional security package with service $0.00

1 312-0694 56 WHr 6-cell Lithium Ion Primary Battery $0.00

1 421-0304 Microsoft Works 9.0, English For Inspiron $0.00

1 950-3337 1 Year Limited Warranty $0.00

Its on back order so I havnt got it yet.

Im sure once I get it I will love it.With the i7 it should be a powerhouse :mrgreen:

Like Bruce I will have no need for a desktop PC anymore :tup:

I know of two people with the studio15 laptops and they both have had to take them in for repairs...just a heads up on what your getting. I do have an Asus 1000HE netbook and for my wife and myself, it fits our needs to a tee. Netbooks are not for gaming but are great for school stuff and the basics, you might get sims on it but would not even think to try crysis, but for $350. it's what you can expect

Edited by Joe C