Change Mode

I had a little egg placed on my doorstep today. :mrgreen: . . . I cracked it open to find this!

Posted Image

Link to high res pic

Piecing it together. . . .

Posted Image

Link to high res pic

I really like how the G.Skill sticks look with the Classified mobo. . . . For now I'm gonna run everything on air to see what this CPU can do. I actually have one other CPU on the way that I'll be testing also. The one that proves worthy will make a permanent TEC-cooled home in my Classified. The other will be banished to ebay or forums. :lol: . . . .

Edited by Revivalist

man i cant sleep..

WHat chip batch did you get? im just trying to keep track of batches and see if they really make a difference :)

Batch # is 3850A849 . . . I'll post up the batch # the second one as well when it comes.

Gone with the stock fan.

Interested to see how good that is with temps. I have read some good reviews.

For now, yes. . . . Later when I settle on a CPU I'll throw it under the TEC and see how much further it'll go. . . . The TEC does a pretty good job getting frosty. . . .

Posted Image

Link to high res pic

DangerDen just cut a new top for me for the Maze4 on a i7. . . . Here's how it looks.

Posted Image

Link to high res pic

Stock heatsink should get you atleast 4ghz maybe more :mrgreen:

I hope so. I would be very content with that.

Rev you know you want a couple of 5870's in there :drool:

I don't think so. I'm an nvidia fanboy. :P . . .

Actually, I don't do much gaming anymore so I think I'm pretty much set with 2 x 8800GTS in SLI. . . . Plus, I already cringe when I think about how much I had to spend to set up this rig. . . . It's crazy to think that when I hold the motherboard in my hands, I'm basically holding $1,000! :thud:

Mobo: $370

CPU: $250

Memory: $160

CPU block and TEC: $75 (to be mounted soon)

Mobo block: $145 (coming soon)

Well, I have a little bit of bad news. . . . I found that my board doesn't want to boot in tri-channel mode. I can only boot if I have 1 or 2 sticks in, not three. :cr@sh:

To make sure it wasn't the RAM, I tried switching around sticks to no avail. I also confirmed each works by running each one alone.

Upon further inspection, I found that some of the pins in the socket seemed to be bent. :blink: I did some further research online and it seems that many people have complained that it is very easy to accidentally bend pins on the 1366 socket. I also read that someone else couldn't boot in tri-channel and that it was because of bent pins. . . .

I suspect that this occurred on my board when I was installing the CPU. I tried to bend the pins back so they all look uniform but I found it to be extremely difficult. I even used a magnifying glass and one of those tiny micro-screwdrivers that are used for glasses. . . I did the best I could but it didn't solve the problem. . . .

I wonder if I could possibly get an RMA from Newegg for this board. Perhaps they will be willing to exchange. Either that or perhaps EVGA would be willing to repair it or exchange it. I have heard about the socket being replaced on a mobo. If that's possible, that may also be an alternative I could request from them. . . .

Whatever the route, I guess it's back to the waiting game for me again. :hammer: . . . Oh well.

Edited by Revivalist

Oh man sorry to hear it. Yeah send it back to newegg, it's simple and probably faster.

Ok, I'll probably call them tomorrow and see if I can get an RMA. . . . Although I heard that its easier and faster to do it online. Anyone have experience with that?

Schweeet :tup:

You're prolly about to bust waiting on the mobo to return. :cr@sh:

I'm definitely excited but I actually have so many things going on right now that I expected this to be a slow build anyways. . . . I'm probably going to end up testing on air for a few weeks and maybe get everything underwater within a month or so. . . .

The more I read this the more I want to get an i7. No money though to build one. Keep up the good work though and let us know how well this puppy overclocks. :overclocking:

Well my 2 cents worth. I really like the power of an i7 setup, even at stock speeds they are great. Never thought my C2Q @ 4.5Ghz could seem slow.

There are quirks to my setup though. I have a wireless keyboard and my board has issues detecting it on cold boots and if I press the delete key too early in the boot process it tells me no keyboard found, very annoying. The motherboard fan controller sucks.

Overclocking is way more complicated. Nothing like my P45 board. i7's run hot, even on my water setup core 1 hits 69ºC running at 4Ghz and if I have HT on it will hit 75ºC. I would get all bent out of shape if my C2Q got close to 52ºC running at 4.5Ghz.

Edited by KRAM