Change Mode

Help with 1 wired, 1 wireless network

Hi all, I'm having a networking issues. I have a wired laptop and a wireless laptop. I was able to see each computer on my network but now all of a sudden I can't see them. I can get to the internet on both laptops but I can't see each other from the other computer. I disabled the firewalls on both laptops and still nothing. I can't figure out what the heck is going on. Hopefully you guys can get this working for me. Thanks.

First I would check my computer name and workgroup name on both computers. Have you installed any new service pack updates that may have changed file settings on your computers.

If you do not see anything, try setting up your network using a new workgroup name. Just be aware that you will have to re-map any previously mapped drives or printer.

Thanks for the ideas. I'll give both of them a whirl. Both of the workgroup names are the same. I don't know why they aren't seeing each other any more. I made sure of that and even retyped them for both computers. I lost my wireless connection and when the connection came back neither computer could see each other. Very frustrating!! :cr@sh:

Edited by cvanderhoef

Well, I change my workgroup to system on both laptops and nothing. Still the same thing. I connected my wireless laptop directly to the DSL modem and the same crap. I did notice something odd, though. When I was connected directly to the DSL modem with the wireless laptop I disabled the wireless but when I did that both laptops wouldn't connect to the internet even though they both showed being connected!!! Once I enabled the wireless again on the one laptop than I was able to access the internet again. Bizarre. Also, I believe I did see a checkbox to make the share private but this wasn't checked. Any network expert have any idea why this stuff is going on and why I can't see my shares on the other laptops? Thanks, I want to knock this out! :boxing:

There is a possibility of a faulty port on the Modem. If your ISP provided the modem they should be able to swap it out no charge.

I'm not sure sure that is the issue, seeing it showed I have connectivity. Even if the port is bad, though, I'd have to a new modem. I old modem totally crapped out on me and they wouldn't do anything for me. They said the warranty is only one year. I had to go to Best Buy and buy a new one for almost $100. :angry: