Notfred's SMP under VM with GPU

RAH

This is taken from one of several sites that have it posted. Works great for me and others. Just post if you have

questions or troubles.

Part 1 of 2

Guide: Running notfred's in VMWare Player, with a USB flash drive, that saves and restores.

This setup uses Windows XP. A dual core cpu. And VMWare Player. Vista users can use this for a general blueprint.

This is a general guide that works for me. I am by no means an expert. Feel free to modify as needed.

My goal was to make it easy enough to understand, that even my grandmother could set it up.

1. Get a USB flash drive. 512megs or more. Plug it in, and make sure Windows recognizes it.

We need to format it to FAT. Make sure all important info has been copied from the USB stick.

Go to Start -- My Computer -- and right click on the drive letter that has the USB stick.

Choose format -- change FAT32 to FAT -- then click start. Don't use quick format. We want a thorough FAT format.

Once finished formatting, close the window, and pull the stick out, and plug it back in.

Once again, make sure Windows recognizes it.

2. Make a folder on the hard drive and call it whatever you like. We'll call it -- notfreds

Go to notfred's CD generator http://reilly.homeip.net/folding/cd.html and generate an ISO and download it to that folder.

3. Download VMWare Player (currently 2.5.3) and install it. http://www.vmware.com/download/player/

4. In order for VMPlayer to recognize the USB stick. We need to get the VID (Vendor ID) and the PID (Product ID)

That's why I said to make sure Windows recognized the stick. That info is now in the registry. Let's grab it.

Go to Start -- run -- type in regedit and click ok. Now we are in the registry editor. Be careful not to change anything.

We are only looking for the VID and PID info. Navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Enum\USB\

In the USB directory search for something similar to "Vid_0c76&Pid_0005". You may have several of them.

Click the + sign to navigate 1 lower to "like" 2841074133B01BE5 and check the description. Look for the one that has your USB flash drive's name.

I found mine in the right pane under "LocationInformation". Above that it has the "HardwareID". Look for the VID and PID numbers.

Mine says USB\Vid_0c76&Pid_0005&Rev_0100 USB.etc,etc. So my VID is 0c76 and the PID is 0005.

This is product specific, so yours will be different. Drop the 0 from the VID. It's now c76 and the PID is still 0005

These will need to be in hex format. So we prefix the VID and PID with 0x. My VID and PID are now 0xc76:0x0005

This is what will help your VMPlayer to recognize your specific flash drive. Remember, use your VID and PID and not mine.

So now we have downloaded the fold.iso. Downloaded and installed VMWare Player. Have a fresh formatted USB stick. And know our VID and PID.

This concludes part 1 of 2.

Part 2 of 2

Guide: Running notfred's in VMWare Player, with a USB flash drive, that saves and restores.

Just copy and paste the following text and save it in wordpad as a text file and call it like fold64.vmx

Drop the fold64.vmx into the notfreds folder.

Part 2 will have the text for your fold64.vmx file to configure VmWare Player to run notfreds.

This will simply be a matter of copy and paste into wordpad, and replace my VID and PID with yours.

The line you will be looking for says -> usb.autoConnect.device0 = "0xc76:0x0005"

In the usb.autoConnect.device0 = "0xc76:0x0005"<-- you'll replace the c76 with your VID and the 0005 with your PID

OK, onto part 2 of 2. Let's get this virtual machine fired up and folding

Part 2 of 2

Just copy and paste the following text and save it in wordpad as a text file and call it like fold64.vmx

Drop the fold64.vmx into the notfreds folder.

******************BEGIN COPY AND PASTE for fold64.vmx *************************

#!/usr/bin/vmplayer

config.version = "8"

virtualHW.version = "4"

usb.present = "TRUE"

usb.autoConnect.device0 = "0xc76:0x0005"

numvcpus = "2"

# Memory

memsize = "512"

ide1:0.present = "TRUE"

ide1:0.deviceType = "cdrom-image"

ide1:0.startConnected = "TRUE"

ide1:0.fileName = "fold.iso"

# Selected operating system for your virtual machine

guestOS = "other26xlinux-64"

# displayName is your own name for the virtual machine

displayName = "Making USB Work"

# First serial port, physical COM1 is not available

serial0.present = "FALSE"

# Optional second serial port, physical COM2 is not available

serial1.present = "FALSE"

# First parallel port, physical LPT1 is not available

parallel0.present = "FALSE"

# Settings for physical floppy drive

floppy0.present = "FALSE"

# Logging

logging = "TRUE"

# These settings decides interaction between your

# computer and the virtual machine

isolation.tools.hgfs.disable = "FALSE"

isolation.tools.dnd.disable = "FALSE"

isolation.tools.copy.enable = "FALSE"

isolation.tools.paste.enabled = "FALSE"

# First network interface card

ethernet0.present = "TRUE"

ethernet0.virtualDev = "e1000"

ethernet0.connectionType = "nat"

ethernet0.addressType = "generated"

ethernet0.generatedAddressOffset = "0"

******************END COPY AND PASTE for fold64.vmx *************************

Just double click on the fold64.vmx file. VM should start, load the linux client and off you go.

You should be able to see it on your network. If you don't have a network, open browser, and type

in the IP address listed for the machine.

Some times it seems like it doesn't work. The VM nec needs to be bridged. The little Icon (computers) on

the bottom of the VMplayer. Set to bridged.

To install/run GPU2 client just DL correct client from here:

http://folding.stanford.edu/English/DownloadWinOther

I would advise using the console client for your OS.

Setting up the CD iso.

Username: RAH - "[You can use your own name I guess"

Team: 32035 - "Our team #"

Passkey: - "Needed for bonuses coming soon"

Backup interval (in minutes, 0 to disable) - "Set to zero"

Big Work Units:

Big (>10MB) - "Here for SMP"

Normal (5-10MB)

Small (<5MB)

Advmethods requesting new advanced cores and/or work units if available:

Enabled

Disabled - "Not needed anymore"

Memory, in MB, to indicate (leave blank for auto-detect): - "I use 1024"

SMP instance per:

8 CPUs

4 CPUs

2 CPUs - " Here, VM only sees two anyway "

Remote Reboot:

Enabled - "Here, for networking"

Disabled

Install to USB drives on boot:

Enabled - "Here"

Disabled

Console blank time (1-60 minutes, 0=disabled):

Windows Networking:

Enabled - "Here"

Browsing disabled

Disabled

Windows Networking Workgroup: "Diskless is fine, uses samba"

Proxy Hostname (blank if no proxy):

Proxy Port (blank if no proxy):

Proxy Username (blank if no proxy or proxy doesn't require username and password):

Proxy Password (blank if no proxy or proxy doesn't require username and password):

Interface(blank for DHCP round-robin):

Static IP (blank for DHCP):

Subnet Mask (blank for DHCP):

Default Gateway (blank for DHCP):

DNS Server IP (blank for DHCP):

TFTP Server IP (blank for DHCP):

Login shell:

Enabled

Disabled - "Here, unless you know linux"

Remember, VM only sees two cores, so you can run two of them (works fine). The linux client is 64bit, so to

do SMP through VM, your machine needs VT (Intel or AMD) my Q8200 won't work.

The time in VM is funky, when you stop and start, it will be at the old time. Set the machine to close, and

this will go away. If monitoring with FahMon, need latest one, edit client and check the VM box.

I will edit/add here some extra info.

Notes:

If you own a copy of VM desktop or pro, you can edit it to see and use 4 cores. VM player works with this to, but

doesn't hold the edit when restarted sometimes. Working on it.

Edited by RAH