what video card should i get

hey guys i want to build a pc to work as a gaming pa and a THPC .I bought an Asus Rampage II Extreme and

a I7 920 cpu.Tomorrow will order the memory whic is corsair dominator TR3X6G1600C8D,but i'm not sure what video card i should get.A friend told me to stick with sli because is better than crossfife.Dont have a clue of the difference. i want something i can connect to my lcd tv via hdmi.I found some video cards that have the hdmi through an adaptor but dont if it will be the same as having a video card with the hdmi already built in..

any help is appreciated..

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

hey guys i want to build a pc to work as a gaming pa and a THPC .I bought an Asus Rampage II Extreme and

a I7 920 cpu.Tomorrow will order the memory whic is corsair dominator TR3X6G1600C8D,but i'm not sure what video card i should get.A friend told me to stick with sli because is better than crossfife.Dont have a clue of the difference. i want something i can connect to my lcd tv via hdmi.I found some video cards that have the hdmi through an adaptor but dont if it will be the same as having a video card with the hdmi already built in..

any help is appreciated..

Do you have a price line? just wondering...alot of cards will work because we barely use the full potential on these massive graphics cards...

if you dont have any priceline go for a gtx295...lol...

what kind of power supply do you have?

Edited by ctran503

don't think you'll need sli or xfire.

so i'd go with the best single card you can afford,

i'm very happy with my gtx275.

:b33r:

edit :-

I found some video cards that have the hdmi through an adaptor but dont if it will be the same as having a video card with the hdmi already built in..

never seen an hdmi built in but it makes no difference, with an adapter it works great. :tup:

Edited by terry1966

Do you have a price line? just wondering...alot of cards will work because we barely use the full potential on these massive graphics cards...

if you dont have any priceline go for a gtx295...lol...

what kind of power supply do you have?

my price line is $350 tops and my psu is a hx850

A 5870 is roughly about $370 and those cards are amazing. If not I believe they have a 4870X2 for about $340 now and those speeds are identical to a 5870. Dont waaste money on dual cards. So xfire or SLI, it doesnt matter

A 5870 is roughly about $370 and those cards are amazing. If not I believe they have a 4870X2 for about $340 now and those speeds are identical to a 5870. Dont waaste money on dual cards. So xfire or SLI, it doesnt matter

good luck finding one...lol...everywhere that got it in stock is out of stock almost instantly.

The only place to have some in stock is Zipzoomfly...but i would stay away from Diamond brand cards...lol....there a reason why they are still in stock. :rofl2:

They do have built in HDMI in the 5870's which is a nice option. :-)

Edited by ctran503

i saw on ebay Sapphire ATI Radeon HD4870 HD 4870 VAPOR-X 2GB 100268L

for $205.00 plus shipping. is this a good price or a good card?

Not at all. You can get a 4890 for that price. And if you intend on buying an expensive video card, I would go with an established retailer.

Also, +1 for the 5870. Performance will improve as the drivers get more mature.

Your gonna get jipped lol

This is $145

This is $200

this is $329

This is $390

I say the 4870 is a great price. It will handle all today's games at 1080P resolutions easy and will last you another year before you decide upgrading.

The 4870X2 is great but a power hog. It will last you atleast 2 years like the 5870. But remember, new cards come out every year and tend to be double the performance.

Either you get a disposable easy on the pocket 4870 or go bold

was looking and found this for 290.00 BFGEGTX2851024OCBE GeForce GTX 285 1GB 512

what you guys think?

Well you did buy a Asus RIIe....thats a $400 mobo...you should treat it like a $400 mobo... :P

Good price if it's new. I still think you out to go with the GTX 295 though. I bet if you ask the seller nicely he would ship it to you for $400.

:rofl2::rolleyes: Edited by ctran503