It's done I ordered one...EVGA E760 CLASSIFIED

Maybe the board is having issues with the Y adapters I am using. Looking in the bios the fans speed sensor is very erratic, going from 0 to 2000 rpm.

Rev said use a fan controller, didn't you get it.. *spank*.. now go get one :P

But really KRAM, for more than 5 fans, a controller is recommended, or run some off a molex, anyhow 7 fan pins on the mobo.. oh boy.. that's nice, my biostar i45 hardly even has 3..

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Will be this weekend before I get to play more with it. I just wanted to make sure the motherboard worked before I put the chipset block on it. Put the block on the motherboard and vid card tomorrow and do some rad and fan work Wednesday evening and Thursday the rest of my water cooling goodies come in.

Will be picking some i7 clocker brains come Saturday I hope.

Swiftech goodies have arrived. :tup:

Hope to have it all together and leak testing for Saturday. :)

IG and CB get ready for a Q&A on how to oc an i7 cpu. :mrgreen:

cant wait to see what kinda voltages you get with it...and how much heat you generate :P Edited by ctran503

Swiftech goodies have arrived. :tup:

Hope to have it all together and leak testing for Saturday. :)

IG and CB get ready for a Q&A on how to oc an i7 cpu. :mrgreen:

If/when you get to the 222 bclk remember this:

This is what happens with my I7 920 Do stepping when you approach and run the 222 Bclk without setting the "CPU Impedance" and the "QPI Signal Compensation" to "less" ... if you can get it to run an entire superpi and print screen it without a crash ... very unstable.

7.438s ... Posted Image ... http://www.hwbot.org/result.do?resultId=893218

I've run it several times with the same quick results, I also ran a geekbench at that speed and scored an 18000+, but I could not get it to submit before it crashed.

http://www.theraptorpit.com/forum/index.ph...ost&p=78408

I don't know if your chip will act the same way or not, but I hit a wall at 222 bclk and solved it that way.

Some food for thought on bios settings for a 4386 Mhz o/c:

Posted Image ... Posted Image ... Posted Image ... Posted Image ... Posted Image ... Posted Image

Up to almost 4.0 Ghz, everything on "AUTO", maybe slight bump in cpu voltage for stability. Keep in mind not all cpu's, systems, act the same. Just giving you a reference, same board and chip.

Good luck, nice system ... :tup:

One more thing ... CPU VTT Voltage vs DIMM Voltage.

Intel warns not to raise DIMM voltage beyond 1.65v.

I have had DIMM voltage as high as 1.87v.

Read this:

http://i4memory.com/f55/evga-x58-classifie...g-thread-17928/

CPU VTT Voltage (default: 1.1V (+0mV in BIOS) Intel's max 1.35 (+250mV)

What it does:

VTT connects the cores with the memory. Raising VTT helps keep a system stable at higher QPI rate. Since QPI is calculated from bclk: the higher the bclk the more VTT voltage you will need. VTT is also called "QPI/DRAM Core" on other motherboards,

Prevent CPU damage: VTT voltage must be within 0.5V of VDimm. Vdimm can fluctuate by as much as 0.05V from settings so you may want VTT within 0.45V of VDimm for that extra margin of safety. Example: if Vdimm is 1.65V, then VTT must be at least 1.20V.

DIMM Voltage (default: 1.5V, Intel's max 1.65)

What it does:

Voltage to the RAM. Despite Intel's warnings, you can raise voltage beyond 1.65 as long as it is always within 0.5V of VTT (as described above).

When to raise DIMM Voltage :

High performance/gaming RAM usually requires at least 1.65v to run at spec. Some manage to get it slightly lower.

Stable bclks over 180 often require VDIMM beyond 1.65V. Remember to keep VTT voltage within 0.5V of VDIMM.

Now, I'm not saying to raise the VDIMM above 1.65v, I'm just saying I used this philosophy with no apparent damage. Certainly gave me the ability to overclock higher. Anything above 1.87v seemed detrimental so I backed it off quickly. Also depends on type of memory your using I'm sure.

This is where I should have some kind of disclaimer ... :lol:

Good stuff Paul,

Having a little issue getting my ram at spec speed (G.Skill Perfect Storm DDR3 2000). Should be easy with a 200fsb, but it's not booting. Will give this another try.

Enjoy permanently damaging the IMC, which will render the CPU unusable, Paul. ;)

Raising it above 1.65v may not seem to cause damage for you, but it might end up permanently damaging the IMC, which runs on a seperate power plane as compared to the cores themselves.

Edited by brandon

I have not raised my ram voltage past 1.65v, was hoping IG would step in with some guiding light as he is running the same ram.

EDIT: :worship::mrgreen:

Edited by KRAM

I can get the system to boot with memory @ 2006Mhz and fsb @ 143, but when I set fsb @ 200 and the memory comes out to 2003Mhz it's a no go. I can get the system to boot @ 200 fsb and memory set to auto which is 16??Mhz.

what speed can you run it at kram??

uncore needs to be 2x ram speed.

Yeah terry!!! That did it. Set the uncore to 4006Mhz and she booted right up.

Thanks! :worship: