Change Mode

Need help with ongoing XP WinSock issue...

Windows XP Home SP3

Dell DIM4400

Firefox 3.5.2 / IE6

NVIDIA GeForce2 MX400

ISP: Comcast Cable (Modem)

Hi,

Here's a real challenge for anyone who wants to take it on and has the patience to read through my summary of the problem and what I've done on my own to try and fix it.

I'm having this problem almost on a daily basis. I'll be connected to the internet just fine and then I'll start getting errors that tell me I've lost my Internet Connection or I simply get a page error where I'm not able to connect to any sites resulting from loss of connectivity.

I've been using the Internet Explorer (IE6) feature to repair the connection and for a while it was working to fix whatever was wrong but lately it's been telling me to seek support.

Here are screenshots of what the IE6 Repair Report Log tells me:

Posted Image

Posted Image

I have researched on my own enough to find out I could Reset WINSOCK entries to installation defaults, which I have completed:

Start, Run, CMD to open a command prompt:

1-In the command prompt window that opens, type type the following commands:

2-Reset TCP/IP stack to installation defaults, type: netsh int ip reset reset.log

3-Reset WINSOCK entries to installation defaults, type: netsh winsock reset catalog

4-Reboot the machine.]Reset WinSock Defaults

**Upon completing the above and running a Pitstop Test I found out the WINSOCK reset brings all the buffer sizes back to installation defaults (Receive Window size) and I had to do the following to reset it to 64240 according to Pitstop advice in the test results:

To change your TCP Receive Window size:

1-Launch window registry editor by clicking on Start | Run .

2-Click in the Open dropdown box and type in regedit.exe then click OK .

3-Back up your registry by selecting File | Export type in a meaningful file name, in the export range section select All and save to your hard drive. To restore your old registry you simply import this file.

4-Next you need to create a new registry key. On the left side you need to go to the directory HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Tcpip\Parameters

5-Select Edit | New | DWORD Value.

6-Rename the new registry key to TcpWindowSize.

7-Modify the registry setting for TcpWindowSize by double clicking on the key.

8-Change the Base Setting to Decimal.

9-Enter the value 64240 and click OK, then exit RegEdit.

10-For these settings to take effect you need to close all your open applications and reboot (done) your system.

A Pitstop Test after completing the above change to the TCP Receive Window gives me EXCELLENT results and my Broadband speed is at optimum.

PROBLEM: even after doing all the above, my system "occasionally" still WILL NOT connect upon a reboot...sometimes it does, sometimes it doesn't. I've found I can occasionally connect however on a SECOND REBOOT.

So, something in my settings is unreliable and causing an occasional loss of connectivity.

Most recent Pitstop TechExpress:

http://www.pcpitstop.com/techexpress.asp?id=4HY68W9QF4GSNPQK

Any help or advice much appreciated! :tup:

:)

Have you tried a new network card? The card could be going bad loosing the connection intermittently.

Thanks for your reply, I'd pretty much forgotten I even posted this thread.

Trying a new NIC would have to be a last resort until I've tried all other avenues of fixing this problem and so far I seem to have minimized the issue to where it's not occurring quite as often, by resetting the WINSOCK entries to installation defaults as I mentioned previously. I'm closely monitoring my system to make sure I don't have further problems.

Thanks again for your advice,

You may also try installing updated drivers for your network card, and maybe a good malware scan just in case.

Shouldn't be malware connected since I do frequent scans with Spybot, Malwarebytes and SuperAntispyware as well as Avast av scans and as far as I know, all my drivers are updated, but I'll look into any for my network card.

Thanks!