Sign in to follow this  
Gamekid

Computer sounds like a whirlpool

Today my desktop computer sounds like a whirlpool. There is no dust on the outside and I just checked for dust on the inside. I'm running windows xp. Other then cleaning out dust, what else can I check?

the fans

The fans were not covered in dust. They spin at full speed and there is air coming out of the back. The fans were not cracked at all. I took a can of air and squirted the power supply vents.

Forget and leave a CD or DVD in your Optical Drive?

That can be pretty noisy as it spins up, particularly if it is failing.

The fans may be fine but it sounds like something is being put under load and this in turn is increasing the fan speed to supply additional cooling.

Happens to me when I run a 3D pit test.

joe ment(i think) the bearings in the fans, they might look nice and clean but after a while the bearings inside start to wear out and then the fans get noisier and make a whining kind of noise and need to be re-placed. ;)

my cpu fan on this pc has the same problem but i just haven't got around to getting and fitting a new fan for it yet. :tup:

:b33r:

Edited by terry1966

joe ment(i think) the bearings in the fans, they might look nice and clean but after a while the bearings inside start to wear out and then the fans get noisier and make a whining kind of noise and need to be re-placed. ;)

my cpu fan on this pc has the same problem but i just haven't got around to getting and fitting a new fan for it yet. :tup:

My fans are made out of plastic. I never forget to remove any cds from the drive.

yes the blades of the fan is plastic but the blade is connected to a motor that makes them spin, this is where the bearings are. and are what wear out over time. ;)

Try a paper towel tube held to the ear and moved around inside the case till you find where the noise is coming from.

Try a paper towel tube held to the ear and moved around inside the case till you find where the noise is coming from.

Does the temperature of the room have to do with the issue?

at least 2 usually are, 1 on the cpu and 1 on the video card. ;)

My desktop is from 2003. The only thing that I have on the cpu is a heatsink. No fan on top. There is a green cover that goes directly to a fan on the back of the case. I have an integrated video card. No fan on that.

well cuts your choices down to 2.. ;)

the power supply or the back extractor fan. :lol:

Are there other issues that might cause a whirling sound on a pc?

yes hard drive about to fail.

Are there any devices that should not be real close to a pc. I have a widescreen monitor that is only a few inches from the tower and a land phone that is only an inch from the tower. I don't think that my hard drive is about to fail because I haven't noticed anything odd that would indicate a hard drive failure.

Edited by Gamekid

here's links to some hard drive failure sounds :-

http://datacent.com/datarecovery/hdd/western_digital

http://www.cybertechhelp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=120507

can't say it matters what is close to the pc tower really.

if you had a wireless connection then yes sometimes wireless landline phones can interfere with the connection, and old speakers(magnets) used to be bad for the monitor if placed to close but in general i don't think it matters anymore.

just because your hard drive still works fine, if it's making noises it will fail sooner rather than later. so make sure you have all important data backed up. :tup:

here's links to some hard drive failure sounds :-

http://datacent.com/datarecovery/hdd/western_digital

http://www.cybertechhelp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=120507

can't say it matters what is close to the pc tower really.

if you had a wireless connection then yes sometimes wireless landline phones can interfere with the connection, and old speakers(magnets) used to be bad for the monitor if placed to close but in general i don't think it matters anymore.

just because your hard drive still works fine, if it's making noises it will fail sooner rather than later. so make sure you have all important data backed up. :tup:

My hard drive is not making any kind of clicking noises right now. My guess would be either the fan in the back or the power supply.

I haven't looked at the inside in detail to see if there is any dust or something lose or something else.

I live in a two story house. My pc is upstairs and the upstairs is warmer then the downstairs because it's closer to the sun. Would a temperature in the environment cause the issue?

Edited by Gamekid