Change Mode

Demolish Group Policies

bacterozoid

You can remove group policy restrictions on any computer (Windows XP, anyways) by deleting a bunch of registry keys, then restarting explorer.

Option 1:

Save the following text as a .bat file, then run it:

REG DELETE HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer\ /f /va
REG DELETE HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\NonEnum\ /f /va
REG DELETE HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System\ /f /va
REG DELETE HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Uninstall\ /f /va

TASKKILL /F /IM explorer.exe
explorer.exe

It will delete a bunch of registry keys, then restart Explorer. Group Policy restrictions will be gone.

Option 2:

Manually delete those registry entries, then restart Explorer yourself. HKCU = HKEY_CURRENT_USER.

*Note: You will have to do this every time you restart your computer. I simply placed the .bat file in my startup folder. Also, when you kill Explorer, you may lose some system tray icons, though the programs will still be running. The only way to avoid this is to go to Start > Shutdown, then hold CTRL + ALT + SHIFT when you click Shutdown. It will kill Explorer without losing any system tray icons. You will then have to manually restart it. (Link)

Always use caution when modifying the registry!

• 2 years later...

If you are not the administrator, I suggest you speak to the person who is and get them to do it. This is a 3 year old thread for XP so if you're running vista or w7 it may not be relevant any way.