Change Mode

I just want to ask if anyone is having heat issues with their 4890?

Mine is running at 52c idle and I got the fan at 75%.. In games it goes up to 83c.. On the package it says it can go to 110c??? Could this be right? Just wanna try and solve this before I get my intel rig together and have 2 of them in crossfire.

Does anyone recommend an aftermarket gpu cooler?

Posted Image

I would say yes way to hot, not even my 4870x2 got that bad. What you need to do is make sure the stock HSF is seated properly and maybe even apply new thermal paste.

Maybe even on the back side of the fan put an 80mm or 120mm shooting at it

Ya thats what I did.. I put some arctic solver on it and I have an 80mm fan sucking the air off of it..

I was expecting some higher scores though with it! Around 13k Here it i stock still cannot get that 2d score lol..

TEST

Edit: The temps are now good.. around 35c idle and got up to 57c after benching it for a half hour

Edited by lugnut

Dang temps are back up? I mean ot as bad! As at idle it is around 44c and under super load it gets up to 75c.. Maybe it is to big for my case lol.. As it looks to be 11 (maybe 10) inches long?

I have an AMD cpu heatsink fan pulling air off the back of the card.. Hould I put on of my Scythe fans on it? it pushes or pulls 134 cfm.. Just afraid at that fast it if it bumps a part of the board it will chip?

Posted Image

Edit: It says on the box...

20 years at 85 degrees C for the capacitors!

Edited by lugnut

ok cool..Thanks!

No room for overclocking though.. But dont think I will need to with this card!

How long will this card stay on top?? I dont want to have to buy another one for at least a year! I got 2 of em for the intel rig just waiting for m replacement mobo!

2 of these

Will thy do fine in crossfire?

Edited by lugnut

at idle it was hovering around 52, 53c and under heavy load it got up to 81c..

Just worried tat with 2 of these things in my case how hot they are going to get.,.

Also I had the fa on 20% :pullhair: So I put i up on 50% put the arctic silver on it, and about 5 minutes ago I put a 120mm fan runing134cfm blowing onto the back (trying both ways blowing and sucking) and right now it is idle at 41c and dropping slowly.. Will try the fan sucking the air off the back and into the back end fan

Thanks Terry!! At least my problems are not as bad as theirs!! 100c?? Dang..

Will just be happy that it has come down since putting the AS on and the 120mm fan!

Again thanks! :b33r:

No water for me lol.. I got flooded last month and got 3 of my computers!! So no more water near my pc's lol.

Temps are fine now.. 43c (not going any lower) and 50c after running 3dmark. Which is a little bit suprising maybe cpuid HM is buggy?

\At least it is not affecting my cpu temps!!

Posted Image

Edited by lugnut

ya some software could be buggy.

i use everest to monitor my temps and right now as it sits its at 40c for gpu dispi0

47 for the memi0

41 for vrm

this is at 40 to 50% fan speed [email protected] 920mhzs core and 1015 memory max temps i get in most stuff in in the 50s but playing crysis and games that loads the gpu pretty good max i saw was around 65 to 67c with max fan speed it doeisnt even hit 60c mosty around 50 to 55c but wow the fan is really loud at 100%... lol

ever sense i got this coolmaster case my temps really drop down on gpu temps:)

in my old case xclio 380 when i had this card in my socket 939 i had about 48 to 50s idle and around 70s max and that was with 65% fan speed.

but ya load temps around 70s and even low 80s i herd is good for this card so i wouldint even worry if it does get up to there.

but if its ony geting to 50c after runing 3dmark thatas really good:)

lugnut get a program to adjust the fan settings on it, and also i was gonna say that card looks like it would displace heat in your case. but your cpu temps are fine. use as gordesky1 said get everest to monitor your gpu temps :tup:

I have a couple temp monitors and they all say the same thing.. Speed-fan Everest on full report and I have Catalyst Control Panel to adjust the speeds on the fan..

Maybe it took a while for the Arctic silver to bond good and is doing its job now.. As I took the fan off the gpu and i had some white stuff on it.. Not good! I like my cpu and gpu covered in silver lol

alright in that case, i believe arctic silver has a 200 hour cure time.

its hard to say what your temsp should be on hot days my card will average 35-39c idle and on those real nice cold days it idles around 30c. when gaming it gets around 65c max on hot days. yours and mine are both 55nm cards but yours has more power so that would inturn mean more heat i would think.

the highest i seen my card get was something a little over 100c using Furmark GPU stressing. to test my cards overclock.

also lugnut, try a pit test with your color settings to 16bit lets check out that 2d score then :clap: