Change Mode

overclocking the amd phenom 940 little help to get to 3.8

i tried what you said terry and still no go:( 5min in occt lines goes threw the screen than restarts...

than after that i try prime95 and it did last little longer than occt like 15min but it did the same thing and restarted...

i also tried nb volts maxed and also went as far as pulling one stick of ram out and just run one stick in there and it does the same thing:(

it just wont get stable when its 3.8 or higher... even if i give it 1.57vcore.... i also tried lower vcore but it crashed sooner. i even tried the ht clock lower down as low as 1440 and even the northbriidge clock down to 1440 still does it...

the cpu goes in windows close to 3.9 np but as soon as i stress it at or above 3.8 it crashes with lines in the screen like a gpu would do when overclocked to much or a black screen than restart but i even lower my overclocked on my gpu just incase that has something to do with it but nope..

i tested my psu rails to just incase with my volt tester but they pretty soild no change in volts from idle or load on the 12v.

and i have my air on in the house and temps is pretty good when i had it at [email protected] temps never went over 51c and when i tried 1.57v temps ony hit 55c. so it seems not to be the cooling.. is it? unless this chip wants under 50c... but i doubt it

temps are fine.

what i think i'd do is just find the highest stable oc i could get at 1.45v cpu. with 18 multi.

with all other v set at auto, except ram set that to what it's rated for.

then in windows see if you can up it more with easytune.

:shrug:

edit:- is it the graphics card that's failing when oc so high?? you altering the pci-e bus speed or something??

Edited by terry1966

do you think temps could be making it fail?

my temps is usely around 54 to 58c load when im at 1.52vcore and 3.8ghzs it does seem more stable when i have my air on in the house than when i turn it off at night it seems to fail. but really cant be sure.

also lugnut what load temps do you get at 3.8ghz and 1.49vcore?

Sorry just seen this!

I get real cool temps on my chip!

Heavy load after 24 hours of Prime is about 49c..

But I got some major air flowing in my case! 4 120mm Scythe fans and they push 134cfm and they are all on 100%

Idle temps I get around 29c

When I jumped to 1.53 it does go up to about 34c idle and 56c heavy24 hour load.

I got lucky on my 600+ s well. The temps where great on that chip (but a lot of people got lucky with that chip)

The only cpu I had bad heat on was a 4800+.. Even stock was around 38c.. Could not get it lower.

tried what you said about finding the max oc stable in bios with 1.45 and its 3.7ghzs

than i tried to higher in easytune it some more up to 3.750 with the same voltage 1.45 and it was occting for maybe about a hour than when i came back to the computer it restarted it self...

so looks like 3.7 is the max it will go if its 1.45v

oh about the video card no the video card aint the problem i just thought it was sense it was overclocked on the core and mem so i lowerd it down to stock but the cpu still fails.

i also got the pcie locked on 100mhzs

so pretty much all i could think is the cpu hit its limit:( still 3.7 is still a nice oc but still wish it wouldve went to 3.8stable.

i still gona try a go starting with 3.780 1.52 in bios were it seems like it was pretty stable and try to atleast higher it with easytune to 3.8 and see if its stable.

what i dont get is it was stable one time with [email protected] @ 4hours and i stop it than after that it wouldint get over 1hour lol

tried what you said about finding the max oc stable in bios with 1.45 and its 3.7ghzs

than i tried to higher in easytune it some more up to 3.750 with the same voltage 1.45 and it was occting for maybe about a hour than when i came back to the computer it restarted it self...

so looks like 3.7 is the max it will go if its 1.45v

oh about the video card no the video card aint the problem i just thought it was sense it was overclocked on the core and mem so i lowerd it down to stock but the cpu still fails.

i also got the pcie locked on 100mhzs

so pretty much all i could think is the cpu hit its limit:( still 3.7 is still a nice oc but still wish it wouldve went to 3.8stable.

i still gona try a go starting with 3.780 1.52 in bios were it seems like it was pretty stable and try to atleast higher it with easytune to 3.8 and see if its stable.

what i dont get is it was stable one time with [email protected] @ 4hours and i stop it than after that it wouldint get over 1hour lol

Its gotta be your ram holding you back gordesky!

With gigabytes easy tune I can get to 4.2 (not at all stable) (thinks easy tune does not real ocverclock as cpu-z did not see cpu at 4.2

I see a lot of people get theirs to 4ghz... so there has to be a way! As it is not the temps keeping us back!

the thing is i have tried my ram down to 800mhzs even tried ddr 400 lol and with my timings as loose as they could go... and its still not stable.

i know the ram forsure aint holding it back anyways because the ram can do ddr 1200.

but so far its doing prime at 3.790 1.52 which any lower v than that it wont pass 15min it just restarts.

and got the ram @ 1180 something @2.4volts

i overclocked in bios to 3.6ghzs and overclocked it by 200mhzs on easy tune well 190mhzs.

i just think the cpu hit a brick wall because some cpus will do higher than others and i problee just got one of thoes that wont clock as high as others.

i pretty much tried everything.. lol

Edited by gordesky1

welp left prime runing while i was sleeping and it did go over like 4hours again or so but when i woke up prime said a error about the exe dieing so pretty much it didint restart but seems like it still not stable.......

think im just gona leave it at 3.6 or 3.7.

tried it at 3.750 even at 1.52 and went to work than i ask my cuz is my xfire profile logged in cause i leave that on allways and he said nope and he showed me the time it logged off and it ony lasted about 30min to 45min... so i dont know whats wrong it seems like something is making it not to stay stable.... cause it passed before 4 to 6hours and i exit prime at 3.780ghzs.

maybe its the heatsink not touching the cpu right because i had that problem with my socket 939 with the thermaltake xp90c it kept failing at high overclocks.

and when i got the coolmaster gremin 2 i never had a problem again it stayed stable at 3ghzs

and both also had the same temps.

or maybe its this new ocz paste causeing problems which would be weird. i allways put on artic silver 5 but i saw reviews and saw ocz paste is better.

i might try to remount the heatsink again and try artic silver 5.

its just weird this cpu wont stay stable at 3.750 and up now... which the cpu will go up to 3.940ghzs with easy tune but as soon as i load prime or occt it restarts but all i want is a stable 3.8ghzs.

hmm do you think either the motherboard or cpu got a defect? i also tried 3.6ghzs and it was priming pretty good than i quit it and went to play unreal tourament 3 and it did the same thing prime and occt does..... than it created a minidump...

seems like each day it gets a worser overclock and keep going down.

i even went as far takeing the motherboard out of the case just incase theres a short and it did the same thing... so thats not the problem. i also tested my psu again and its soild @ 12.12 and doesint even move when theres load on it.

is it possable that the heatsink could be causeing problems of some kind? or the thermal paste?

Edited by gordesky1

temps seem ok to me so wouldn't think its heatsink or thermal paste.

3.7ghz at 1.45v 100% stable... seems pretty good to me. :shrug:

don't forget a lot of the overclocks people post aren't 100% stable.

and not many will try prime for hrs on end to check.

:b33r:

i know i can't get my i7 100% stable at 3.8 with anything i'm happy to run long term.

:shrug:

You have a heck of an overclock. Your processor might have hit it's limit. You have to understand each cpu that is binned will vary. Some will overclock like a beast while others not so much. I would be killing to get an overclock at your speed. Great work though, you have me impressed. A lot of scores that people post their rigs going up to 3.8-3.9GHZ is well never 100% 24/7 stable. So be proud of the overclock you achieved. Congrats and great work. :clap:

If you really want to push it higher, you could possibly try water cooling or getting a bigger CPU heat sink. But there is no telling if you will get much more mileage. Good luck though.

Edited by ShadowPredator

k a update:)

i went ahead and remounted the heatsink and put on artic silver instead of ocz paste and tried [email protected] and it was prime stable for 13hours so i say thats 100% stable:)

and than today i tried [email protected] it failed but than i upped it to 1.47v and so far its passing and its been like 6 or 7hours so far:)

so it seems like the heatsink or ocz paste wasint makeing a good bound togther...

cause everything started to get unstable it never passed 3.6ghzs or 3.7ghzs at thoes volts.

but one problem i have now is the temps they around 58 to 59c now... before even with 1.55v it never went to 60c so it does seem like the ocz paste cools better than artic silver by like 3 to 5c... this is also with room temp at around 65f 20 to 22c.

unless its because artic silver still needs to work threw for 200hours maybe than it will drop.

but with the ocz seems like the cpu just wasint keeping stable.. or maybe the heatsink wasint that tight on.

but it looks like i wont be buying another coolmaster heatsink in the future lol they just to hard to put on and get it line up right...

just like my coolmaster gemmin 2 i went to try it on this but when i took it off the 939 system the screws thats on the plate that goes on the cooler was stuck on like solder which wont work on the am2 because the screws is in diffrent places... so i couldint use that backplate to test the gemmin on this phenom....

but atleast its stable so far and also got the ram runing at a stable 1161mhzs.

Well glad to hear it. I find it a little odd that the OCZ paste cools better than the Arctic Silver 5 You might not have applied the paste correctly or something. There are so many ways to apply it. Some will say, "Oh, apply it on the heatsink." Others will say, "No, apply it on the CPU itself." Each technique varies, I know myself I wouldn't use anything else but Arctic Silver. I stand by that stuff ever since using the Ceramique.

Good luck on your overclocking and keep us posted.

Edited by ShadowPredator

little update with the temps i tried my old heatsink which is the coomaster geminin 2 but couldint find all the screws for socket am2 so i just used 2 of them and tried it when idleing it was fine but as soon as i loaded prime it jumped really high 60s and got to 70c...

so problee thoes 2 screws did that lol cause that heatsink kept my opteron [email protected] 1.54vcore under 60c all the time even when its hot like 85f in the house.

than i was thinking of puting ocz paste back on sense artic silver wasint doing its job was geting to 61 to 62c... and when i took the heatsink off it wasint spreaded at all it was still in the middle of the heatsink...

and when i took the geminin off when i tried it with the ocz paste it was all spreaded over the cpu nicely.

so got the coolmaster 212p on again with ocz and the temps are cooler like 3 to 4c 5c cooler mainly at load than the artic silver which was allways hiting 60c up to 62c. the ocz was around 56 to 57 and max out at 58 but went down to 57c.

maybe its because the artic sliver is couple years old???

but it seems like im gona be useing ocz freeze for now on lol

even on reviews it showed it beat artic silver by couple degrees

still no updates on more overclocking but 3.7ghzs @1.47v is 100% stable:)

i even upped the hyper transport clock at 2612mhzs and northbridge clock to 2612mhzs not sure if they make performence better tho?

and still have my ram @ 1161mhzs stable:)

oh and ya my os 64bit vista but if i use 32bit i wont beable to use up all my ram lol maybe thats why i see peaple on 3dmark useing 2gb of ram and 3gb? when there cpus is over 4ghzs and 5ghzs? lol

little update with cooling well seems like it does cool alot better than the artic silver did before when i tested with the house air on and down to 20c 65f room temp it still was geting to 59 to 60... so right now im runing the air again and so far temps isint going above 55c with the ocz paste pretty much its goes to 54 to 55c back and forth and this is with a room temp at about 25c to 27c 80 83f.

so about 5 to 6c better than artic silver did with the air on and the artic silver was runing in colder room temp to.

maybe my tube is to old or something not sure lol or maybe this coolmaster 212p likes softer paste?

Edited by gordesky1