Change Mode

overclocking the amd phenom 940 little help to get to 3.8

my goal right now is to get this chip prime95 stable @3.8ghzs under a hour it fails either restarts or blue screens or sometimes the first core just fails and the other cores still going... while gaming it doeisnt have no problems i guess gaming -gtaiv- just doesint stess the cores as much as prime.

right now im priming @3.78ghzs so not far from 3.8 and ya i know 20mhzs wont make a diffrence lol but you know i like a even number hehe and maybe this chip could be a 3.9er lol

my settings is 18.0 multplier bus speed is 210mhzs ht link 1890 vcore is 1.520v

and my memory mushkin 1066 is at 1120mhzs with the timings untouched. but they show 5.0 7 7 24 31 2t

my motherboard is gigabyte ma790x-ud4p.

and all the other voltages like chipset northbrige is at stock

Edited by gordesky1

Try upping the northbridge voltages. 1.520v seems way too high just to reach 3Ghz. I've seen well past 4Ghz using that much voltage. So, either your chip won't go much further, the NB needs more volts, or your motherboard sucks.

why not try loosening the memory timings and run it at/below stock speed just to cancel out the chance it's the memory thats causing the blue screens while overclocking the cpu.. :shrug:

just a thought. :lol:

:b33r:

the voltages look ok, it could be the memory being that high. i know you should be able to oc the ram more. but 1066 ram is just ram that passed the test to make the oc to 1066 stable. i know the ocz 1066 i have runs at 800 unless i overclock it. but i also have to change the voltage to it for it to be stable. try not going over the 1066 range and see how stable it becomes. Also go into the BIOS and set memory from Auto or 1:2 to 1:2.66. have faith in ye ol phenom, she may act little funny sometimes, but once you have her set.. she is a beast.

ok i tried my memory at 800mhzs and tried 3.8again and upped the northbridge volts and ran prime again and it still wont pass it just restarts or blue screens i also tried more volts 1.55 and it lasted little longer but failed.... so it does seem like it is the cpu hiting the wall...

and to brandon 1.520v seems way too high just to reach 3Ghz is that a typo? because its at 3.8ghzs not 3ghzs.

i also look up others and mosty everyone that runs this chip @ 3.8 and over runs at least 1.52vcore. but i do see some that run under 1.5 but seems like a few.

right now im runing it at 3.7 with 1.47vcore and my memory overclock to

1104 and prime is still runing which been over 2hours so far so it seems like th ram aint the problem at all.

is there any other tricks or did this cpu hit the wall?

i know my old oppy 165 took long time tweaking to get it stable at 3ghzs so maybe it takes little more tweaking?

Edited by gordesky1

just curious are you looking for the max oc you can or to make that overclock stable enough for running 24/7?? personally i'd drop it to at least 3.6 for 24/7 running. :lol:

and yes you will need to increase the cpu-nb v.

that was a good guide i linked to earlier by the way. ;)

this cpu is not hitting the wall. when i overclock to 4.2 i set the timings to leave the ram at 800 maybe 820.... its stable, nothing i am leaving it at till i go water though. but its enough for me to run my benches. i also know that some ram requires you to be around 2volts (2.1 if im not mistaken thats exactly what ocz,corsair, and afew others recommend)for that 1066 speed. auto would work for some cases but not for the CPU or the RAM. my ram was the wall i was hitting with the overclocking.not the cpu.

hmm little update i upped the CPU NB VID Control by 1 and so far its primeing alot longer and still going this is at 3.8ghzs @ lower vcore 1.5.

even have the memory overclock still to 1126mhzs

so seems like the CPU NB VID Control was the trick lol its a new setting for me sense my socket 939 didint have it or did it... lol

but ya i was mainly looking for the max clock and run it like that all the time like i did with my 939 [email protected] lol

if the 3.8ghzs is stable i atleast give it atleast 4to 6hours usely

than i problee gona keep it at that for 24/7 sense i dont want my temps to be sky high right now its a nice 52 53c i might try lower vcore if this passes.

than maybe over the weekend i see how much more it will go lol but im pretty happy with how it is now:)

ya terry that is a good guide you linked im reading it right now :) thanks

well its still not stable... i left it run for about 6hours well i think nots ure because i left it runing awhile i was at work and prime95 crashed but computer was still runing.

so i tested it awhile i was home and it failed around 2hours and 30min the first core was geting warnings.

so i even tried more volts and for the cp nb even tried highering all the volts for the motherboard and it still wont pass right....

but i could pretty much game at 3.85 with no problem but when i stress the cpu at 100% with prime95 it fails

so it seems like my cpu hit the wall.

maybe the temps is causeing it not to be stable? the temps was around 55 to 58 allmost 60c? if thats teh case looks like i will be needed water if i want to over clock this cpu at 3.8 or higher. because this air cooler is pretty much up with the best.

i just cant figure what else is doing it. how far should i be highering the CPU NB VID Control ? max i went was 0.150 to 0.250 because 0.400 is highlighted in red and max is 0.600 is in the red maybe im just not highering it enough>?

i know the ram is not the problem because i put that down to 800mhz with loose timings.

right now i got it at [email protected] with my memory @1129 and its good and stable. even at 3.7ghzs and was stable at 3.78 like i said in my other post but really didint test it long enough max i did it was around 2 to 3hours.

Edited by gordesky1

if it was mine i'd stick to 0.275.

3.78 stable sounds very good to me for 24/7... :shrug:

like i said my pc runs 3.6ghz 24/7 just because i'm happier with the lower v needed and cooler temps.

for just running a bench or something then yes push the v if you want but wouldn't for 24/7 running.

Edited by terry1966

ok i tried my memory at 800mhzs and tried 3.8again and upped the northbridge volts and ran prime again and it still wont pass it just restarts or blue screens i also tried more volts 1.55 and it lasted little longer but failed.... so it does seem like it is the cpu hiting the wall...

and to brandon 1.520v seems way too high just to reach 3Ghz is that a typo? because its at 3.8ghzs not 3ghzs.

i also look up others and mosty everyone that runs this chip @ 3.8 and over runs at least 1.52vcore. but i do see some that run under 1.5 but seems like a few.

right now im runing it at 3.7 with 1.47vcore and my memory overclock to

1104 and prime is still runing which been over 2hours so far so it seems like th ram aint the problem at all.

is there any other tricks or did this cpu hit the wall?

i know my old oppy 165 took long time tweaking to get it stable at 3ghzs so maybe it takes little more tweaking?

Gordesky.. (I did not read through all the post so excuse me if this is has already been suggested.)

I have the 940 and I run mine at 3.8 and have gotten it to 4.1 (not stable though)

As of now it is at 3.8 with the v-core at 1.49 multi is 15

I had to slow my ram down a bit to get it that high...Did you loosen the timings and bring the ram down to 800mgz?

yep i had the ram down to 800mhzs and looseing the timing as far as they will go and it still wouldint go higher.

but today i tried just overclocking in windows with easytune6 and put it at muti at x18.5 and higher the fsb to 206 so its at 3.809ghz and well it passed a 4hour test when i was sleeping with occt and before with occt it wouldint go threw a 15min test when i overclocked in bios but in easytune it went right threw.

so now im confused lol i ony got the volts at 1.49v to. im gona try it again in bios and and see if it passes maybe it will now but if it doesint think im useing easy tune lol

i find this just weird... i tried the bios again at the same settings i used with easytune and it resatrted right into occt test in about under a min. which the easytune seems really stable when i overclock with that...

me i like overclocking with bios better because it seems like allways the best way to overclock but it seems when i overclock at 3.8ghzs or over with bios it reatarts or fails but easytune it just keeps going.

ok tried to clock it 3.8ghzs in bios and tried every setting in there and it still wont stay stable...

than when i was runing occt again when i did it with easytune it failed at 32min it said core 1 failed which before it made it 4hours i stop it at that but it problee wouldve kept on going.

than i tested it again at around 45min it died than said core 2 failed... just seem like something is messing something up...

than when i was in bios i figure i try something higher like 3.9ghzs and put vcore to 1.55 just to see if it boots and put my ram at 800 and put the other voltages up and before it went to the windows vista loading bar it blue screen really fast couldint see anything and restarted and no matter what i do i cant get pass that blue screen @3.9.

the temps at load is around 52 to 55c so dont think its that doing it.

so seems to be just the cpu just cant hold up when it hits 3.8 and up.

was hopeing to get it 100% stable at 3.8ghzs and use 3.9 for benching heck 3.8 is even good for benching but just cant get it prime or occt stable it boots around 3.85 and 3.87 in windows but as soon as i pop occt on it restarts and shows lines on the screen.

do you think temps could be making it fail?

my temps is usely around 54 to 58c load when im at 1.52vcore and 3.8ghzs it does seem more stable when i have my air on in the house than when i turn it off at night it seems to fail. but really cant be sure.

also lugnut what load temps do you get at 3.8ghz and 1.49vcore?

just tested with stock voltage and so far 3.4ghzs seems to be the max stable for stock volts i tried 3.5 sure it boots in windows but when i loaded occt and as soon as it put load on it restarted...

because its not stable at all at even 3.7 with ony 1.45v.

to be stable at even 3.7 i need to bump it up to 1.49 to 1.5 to be stable any lower it either restarts or bluescreens:(

i try it once more at 1.45 and see what it does.