Change Mode

Create a text document of all your mp3 files

Bear

If you have a large music library like I do this may interest you.

Open your command prompt (In Vista open as administrator)

cd to your music directory in my case it is on my E:\ drive and in a folder called MMDR

Once in the correct directory type this (I am using mine as an example)

E:\dir MMDR /s > SongList.txt this will save a text file to the current directory

You can save in any format you wish by simply changing the extension, if you want to save to a different location simply change the location in the path

Bear

Sounds like a great tip, but something is stopping me, can't figure it out, it wont go to my D drive, therefore I can't try the command, every time I try the cd D:\ command it just returns to the same C prompt, will have to try and figure it out when time allows, but I've been wanting to catalogue my music for years, and create a database, but the sheer volume involved makes it an impossible task lol, maybe (I hope) this trick will make it a bit easier, Thanks. :clap:

every time I try the cd D:\ command it just returns to the same C prompt

Type D: and press Enter, then type CD [directory name or path] and press Enter.  Or use the shortcut form, CD /D D:\[directory name or  path]. Edited by TomGL2

• 2 weeks later...

Not sure why but never got a notification of a reply to this, but with your added input I have now achieved partial success, but as I don't know what to expect when doing this I can't be sure if it's just what it does, in my instance it produced an artist list, and further down it went into folders etc listing deeper names, I'm guessing I need to look closer at the results, but it's such a massive list I only had time to glimpse at it, but will definitely check it in depth when time allows, but is it normal to get an artist list (no songs by the entry's) as well as further info lower down the list ?

Thanks for the help, brain needed a kick start to remember basic dos commands lol.

8210GUY, the directory command as given produces a listing that is quite a bit larger than necessary.  Try the following method, and enter the modified command.

Open the folder whose directories you want to list.

Click Start, Run, type Cmd and click OK to open a command prompt.  Type Dir /D followed by a space, but do not press Enter.

Drag the small icon at the upper-left of the folder into the command prompt window.  Click in the command prompt window, then press Enter.

Type Dir /W/S/A-D > DirList.txt and press Enter.  The DirList.txt file, containing a more compact listing, should be created in the same folder.