Change Mode

Slow PC - last stop before it goes out the window...

My pc is just so slow on the internet. It takes minutes to open up a page and transfer between tabs. And if I write its always trying to catch up with me. I have another pc on my network which is working fine. Can anyone help?

I logged this on another site (WhattheTech) and can confirm that I don't have any malware. I was going through with someone on there how to update drivers but they havent replied in ages - just after I said I couldnt find them so I could delete and update.

Don't get me wrong, I'm a girl and a little silly with computers but will get there in the end if your patient.

Have I put everyone off yet?

Hope someone can help, as if not, I do beleive that my PC is doomed to go to computer heaven!

Thanks in advance.

Jess

Hi Jess,

We need a little help here. What speed processor, how much RAM, what operating system are you running, and how do you hook up to the internet?

Try running a Pit test and post your results. It will help us help you.

RMC

My pc is just so slow on the internet. It takes minutes to open up a page and transfer between tabs. And if I write its always trying to catch up with me. I have another pc on my network which is working fine. Can anyone help?

I logged this on another site (WhattheTech) and can confirm that I don't have any malware. I was going through with someone on there how to update drivers but they havent replied in ages - just after I said I couldnt find them so I could delete and update.

Don't get me wrong, I'm a girl and a little silly with computers but will get there in the end if your patient.

Have I put everyone off yet?

Hope someone can help, as if not, I do beleive that my PC is doomed to go to computer heaven!

Thanks in advance.

Jess

Try downloading CCleaner and run it. It will remove junk from your system that is responsible for slowing down your system. It is a free software program. You can find it at www.ccleaner.com/download. It is a free download. Download it and run it. It will improve your system. whenever I experience any problems on my computer I run this first and usually my system runs better. It will not harm other programs on your system.

Ive already run many things to clean up my PC. I have reset Internet Explorer and also tried firefox. No errors in my device manager. ATF cleaner ran fine.

Ran a pcpitstop thing last time and someone was helping me change some drivers.

http://www.pcpitstop.com/betapit/sec.asp?conid=22443518

I have an Intel Celeron CPU 2.40GHz with 768MBytes DDR Memory. Am also using XP home version.

The PC that is slow is connected to the internet with ummm...a wire. (Can't think of the technical term for that)I have another pc and a lappy that work wirelessly and are fine. I also have gadgets that work off wireless(IPOD and Archos etc) but they shouldnt interfere.

The link to where I was before is

http://forums.whatthetech.com/Slow_Interne...lp_t105589.html

Sorry that I didnt give all this detail before. I dont really know what everyone needs!

Oh and lastly, my pc is virus/malware free.

the test shows that you need to update a few drivers also remove some tracking cookies and change your internet recieve buffer, if you click on each underlined problem pc pitstop will explain what it means and also how to fix.

It gives good clear instructions just follow them and you should be ok.

If you still have the following problem you are facing now after the fixes then come back here and we will be able to go thru some other options.

I may be wrong but it looks like you don't have much RAM unless you have GBs instead of MBs.

Have you tried a cleaner called CCleaner? It is free and will clean up your HD harmlessly. I think you need more memory.

CCleaner will delete all the stuff that slows down your system. You did not mention how large a hard drive you have. A small hard drive can slow down your system, especially if you have had it a long time. You experts correct me if I am wrong.

Hi Jess,

Looks like you have two anti-virus programs running at the same time. Try uninstalling one of the programs. I would keep the AVG program and get rid of the other, it's up to you.

Edited by Rmc

Hi Jess,

Looks like you have two anti-virus programs running at the same time. Try uninstalling one of the programs. I would keep the AVG program and get rid of the other, it's up to you.

I have turnt off spybot - dont usually use this but its good for some things.

Also changing the internet receive buffer made my pc even slower so did a system restore. Cant find the last two drivers. Although I dont think i need the sound one because I bypass sound stuff to my Presonus.

Still running ever so slow - any more ideas? Or is it going out the window?

The other anti-virus program is listed as Eset online scanner. Spybot is not an anti-virus program. Try finding Eset and turn it off or uninstall it.

My last thought would be Windows Service pack 3. I have had problems with service pack3 on older computers. It will cause them to creep along. You might try and uninstall the service pack in Control Panel.You will then need to install the updates for service pack2. Or you could do a complete clean install of Windows.

Edited by Rmc

Hey GM.

Run a new OverDrive scan. The old scan is showing too many programs and processes running in the background. Too many AVs and you even have 2 MSN messengers running.

Run a new scan and we can go through it one thing at a time. Don't worry about changing drivers.

Hey GM.

Run a new OverDrive scan. The old scan is showing too many programs and processes running in the background. Too many AVs and you even have 2 MSN messengers running.

Run a new scan and we can go through it one thing at a time. Don't worry about changing drivers.

Ok, so heres the new one.

http://pcpitstop.com/betapit/sec.asp?conid=22535571

Have ended the two craplets because I know how to do that one with ease now!

Also, with regards to SP3 - I have actually found that it has marginally improved the performance of my pc...although that may just be because I have been doing other stuff also? who knows - I sure don't!

I think that if you'd first run Disk Cleanup, then reduce the running processes, defrag w/ Iobit Smart Defrag and if you want run Advanced System Care by Iobit, it would help.

My 2 cents

I think that if you'd first run Disk Cleanup, then reduce the running processes, defrag w/ Iobit Smart Defrag and if you want run Advanced System Care by Iobit, it would help.

My 2 cents

Okay. So I should first do the disk cleanup and then once it has finished I'll do deframent, right? My old desktop crashed when I did these two procedures at once.

Yes, you want to rid the drive of ALL junk/temp files and any programs or data which you do use/need/want first; then defrag to get the data contiguous.

Edited by Tx Redneck

Yes, you want to rid the drive of ALL junk/temp files and any programs or data which you do use/need/want first; then defrag to get the data contiguous.

Ok so I have done that I have seen an improvement which is nice. But its till quite slow compared to .. well compared to anything else!

That advanced systemcare seemed to do the trick a bit. Will defo keep hold of that one!

Had the same trouble 6 months ago. Turned out I had both a Google toolbar and a Yahoo toolbar. They had some kind of conflict and took about a minute for a web page to download. I got rid of the yahoo toolbar and now takes about a second. I accidently downloaded it again along with a program and the same thing happened. Got rid of it and everything was fine. I have absolutely no idea why, I just followed my sons instructions and it worked. Turned out he had the same problem about a year ago. I don't know if this helps but it is about all I know.

Ok so I have done that I have seen an improvement which is nice. But its till quite slow compared to .. well compared to anything else!

That advanced systemcare seemed to do the trick a bit. Will defo keep hold of that one!

OK, now can you go to pcpitstop.com, refister an account then take the overdrive test. When it's finished, copy/paste the link to you test results in your reply. This will help us get an idea of what to do next.

:Texan: