Change Mode

can your isp block certain kinds of traffic

Hi i am finnaly online this week (dsl) and somthing seems rather fishy, My ds trained rate is 16mbps but the pit says its only 6 also any thing i download of any server comes down @300kbps? they where faster on my old 4meg connection and one last thing is that any torrents i download come down no faster than 3kbps :pullhair: but if i plug in my nokia and use the 3g connecton its more like 25kbps!

is it possible for an isp to put restrictions on certain traffic? beacuse it seems like thats happening.

cheers

Another thing is i called my isp today to find out why y=the slow speeds and they said depending how many people are using the network affects bandwith but its 02.44am so i doubt theres much people online but stillo the slow dl?

Edited by got the flavor

Check your actual speed here:

Speed Test

Yes your ISP can "Throttle" your speed and many do not just at peek times but also if they think you are abusing their contract with you. remember "Unlimited" broadband usually comes with a "sensible usage policy".

Also torrent downloads are only as fast as the upload speed of your peers.

torrents are becoming popular to "secretly" throttle. if you keep up on the net news you'll see that more and more isp are being blamed of this, but it's hard to prove since it's not illegal and isp aren't mandated to disclose all practices.

your bandwidth/speed though may be low because of the high sync rate. you'd have to be VERY close to a c/o or fiber enabled r/t to get that kind of speed. heck, 10megs doesn't even work past 10k line feet. but anyways, if you are out of range of your sync rate, the modem will try to connect at that speed anyway cuasing an unstable and slower connection.

do you have your modem stats?

Driver Version: 1.75

API Version: GS_API_626

Firmware Version: E.25.41.18 A

Dsp Version: 0x000000e1

US Trained Rate: 1016 kbps

DS Trained Rate: 8127 kbps

Current US data rate during last 30 sec: 0 kbps

Current DS data rate during last 30 sec: 0 kbps

Local Line Attenuation: 17.0 dB

Remote Line Attenuation: 6.5 dB

Local SNR Margin: 24.15 dB

Remote SNR Margin: 14.5 dB

Operation Progress: 0x00000000

State: Showtime

Rx ATTNDR: 16308000

Tx Cell Rate: 2398

Rx Cell Rate: 19169

Overall Failure: 0

PMmode: L2L3Allowed

Local ITUCountry Code: 0x0000b5ff

Auto Start: true

Whip Active: Inactive

Profile: BT

Standard: BisPlusAuto

Utopia Interface: Level1

Rx Auto Bin Adjust: Disable

Tx Attenuation: Bis_0DB

Detect Noise: Disable

Capability: A2/A2+

Coding Gain: auto

Framer Type: Type3ET

Since i posted this my isp has settled my connection @8mbps but im still getting no faster that 0.75kbps torrent downloads and my average ds speed off a fast server is 300kbps, The local exchange is no more than 25 yards away from my house and a friend in the same street using the same cables same exchange but diff isp is having no probs and downloads of 1.5mb/s and above, Seems a little strange to me? Ive got just over 15 days of the cooling of period left and im thinking i might call them up and tell em where to stick it

thanks for the reply

your stats look very good. have you tried running directly off the NID box and getting the stats and speed test? it honestly looks like you have a slight issue in the house as the lines have more noise inside than in the long run on the poles, lol.

torrents are a VERY bad way to judge speed as it can easily be throttled. if they are being throttled, it'll usually be throttled only across the common bt ports

an average of 300kbps is about half your bandwidth which isn't too bad. really need to run several QoS and line quality tests. find out what the jitter is and if your local dslam is having bandwidth issues.

but being next door to the phone c/o might not be as it seems. you might be in the front of a run that goes around the block, down the street, and then back to the c/o.

i can't really comment on your buddies connection, if you meant to say 1.5Mbps, then that's a REALLY fast dsl connection and i haven't seen one yet that's not some sort of bonded setup.

suggestions, test at your NID, and then raise holy hell to get service techs out to your house if you're paying for a 15 meg service

your stats look very good. have you tried running directly off the NID box and getting the stats and speed test? it honestly looks like you have a slight issue in the house as the lines have more noise inside than in the long run on the poles, lol.

torrents are a VERY bad way to judge speed as it can easily be throttled. if they are being throttled, it'll usually be throttled only across the common bt ports

an average of 300kbps is about half your bandwidth which isn't too bad. really need to run several QoS and line quality tests. find out what the jitter is and if your local dslam is having bandwidth issues.

but being next door to the phone c/o might not be as it seems. you might be in the front of a run that goes around the block, down the street, and then back to the c/o.

i can't really comment on your buddies connection, if you meant to say 1.5Mbps, then that's a REALLY fast dsl connection and i haven't seen one yet that's not some sort of bonded setup.

suggestions, test at your NID, and then raise holy hell to get service techs out to your house if you're paying for a 15 meg service

Ive checked the wiring and your right, there are two sockets in the house a main socket then another main socket thats been wired strait into the back of the other one, Im gonna correct this later and try again

530376761.png

Still not what i expected but its better, Talk talk say my line can only support 8mbps! when i signed up i was told 16mbps and another thing too is the bill, It states you only pay for line rental and calls the dsl comes for free with a 40gb limit, just got my first bill (early) and there are seperate charges for line rental and broadband. Talk talk say this should have been explained wen i signed up and sorry.

If any one has a choice either to go with talk talk or another isp i would strongly recomend choosing an alternative, I have also found out that any one that switches there whole service to talk talk will be stuck with it, Unless they wanted to pay £120 for bt to come and fit a new line!

on my 100mi server test, i get 21.88 mps /3.05 up and paying for 6meg connection. so definitly looks like something is slowing you down.

torrents definitly get throttled, i tested by downloading my own file from my pc directly and again using a torrent, torrent was way slower. as it should be cause otherwise anyone connected to your node would drag you and all others speed way down. torrents are powerful bandwidth hogs

also with torrents, you do of course have to allow full upload speeds or you will get only a few kbs no matter what. the point is sharing and its created like that on purpose.

If you're not getting what you are paying for you should have them come out and check the lines. bad lines can slow the service along with wet lines.

While the speed may vary during peak traffic, you should still be paying for a set amount of speed.

maxing out at 8 megs sounds more likely. that's also the older adsl standard, so if you are unlucky enough to be on a dslam w/ an old card, that's tops you get.

if you can get the billing resolved, you have a good connection for an 8 meg dsl. i honestly don't know how or why they tried selling you 16meg dsl. this is rare and hard to get as it's VERY location dependant, line dependant, and c/o / r/t bandwidth dependant. where i'm at though, you have to pay for the dsl/broadband, and the voice calls if you get it, no matter what the package. advertising is meant to draw confused people in as easy prey.

i wouldn't pay much attention to firefly there seeing as how he got banned, but if he's getting 20 megs on a 6 meg connection.... he has cable or fios, is is just lying, lol. billing will also catch on to screw ups like that

maxing out at 8 megs sounds more likely. that's also the older adsl standard, so if you are unlucky enough to be on a dslam w/ an old card, that's tops you get.

if you can get the billing resolved, you have a good connection for an 8 meg dsl. i honestly don't know how or why they tried selling you 16meg dsl. this is rare and hard to get as it's VERY location dependant, line dependant, and c/o / r/t bandwidth dependant. where i'm at though, you have to pay for the dsl/broadband, and the voice calls if you get it, no matter what the package. advertising is meant to draw confused people in as easy prey.

i wouldn't pay much attention to firefly there seeing as how he got banned, but if he's getting 20 megs on a 6 meg connection.... he has cable or fios, is is just lying, lol. billing will also catch on to screw ups like that

Yea i guessed that lol, 20 meg on a 6 meg service is a bit far fetched, Ive got a new dsl router now and in the information it says im on adsl2+ and ive also found a site http://www.dslzoneuk.net/maxspeed2.php if i put my downstream attenuation in the calculator it says its possible to have 16-20mbps but im unsure if that is a true figure or not, site looks good anyway.

cheers

I wouldn't worry about any sites like that that claim to tell you what your connection is capable of, you can't get any faster than whatever speed you are getting from your ISP. And even then with DSL it also depends on distance to the CO, line condition, etc.

As to your origianl question about them blocking or limiting certain applications, Google throttling and "traffic shaping" to get an idea of what they are capable of doing, look up Sandvine and Ellacoya while you're at it.

I wouldn't worry about any sites like that that claim to tell you what your connection is capable of, you can't get any faster than whatever speed you are getting from your ISP. And even then with DSL it also depends on distance to the CO, line condition, etc.

As to your origianl question about them blocking or limiting certain applications, Google throttling and "traffic shaping" to get an idea of what they are capable of doing, look up Sandvine and Ellacoya while you're at it.

That really takes the biscuit i dont think they should be allowed to get away with that.