Change Mode

can i install my 2x160raids with my non raid setup?

i was wondering can i pop in my old 2x160s in raid 0 with my non raid 2x1tbs hard drives?

one of the 1tbs is were my windows is installed on and the other is storage and i like to keep theses non raid till i build another pc.

but i wanted to know does the 160s in raid have to be the windows drives?

or can i pop in the 160s as storage drives and have them running raid some how?

right now they been siting on my desk collecting dust... and i would like to put them to good use

so i could pop in my already raid drives with data on them in with my non raid main drives that i have in my system?

with out reinstalling windows?

cause right now the 2x1tbs with windows vista is installed and i want to pop in the 2x160s for more storage.

i dont want to raid the tbs drives yet because i have alot of data on them now and have no backup options yet till i build another pc than i would buy 2 more 1tbs drives.

and use them for back up drives ony.

Yep.

Should work no problem.

Just make sure you enable raid on the right sata channels, and you will probably have to enter the raid utility during start-up to create the array. (Pick the hard drives, stripe size, type of array, ect, ect..)

You might have to install a driver once you are within windows, but thats a piece of cake.

Then I might suggest you install your games and apps that benefit from the I/O gain you get on the array.

ok i tried to install the raid which i just pop in the drives and when it went to windows it ask do i want to install teh raid controller and i said ya and than it brings up and said i have to format drive f.

but i dont want to do that because the raid drives has data on it and i like to keep the data intact.

or is that the ony way to use theses raid drives with my normal non raid drives?

i think the first thing i'd do is remove the tb drives, install the raid drive's, reboot and see if it rebuilds your raid you might need to swap the drives around so they are in the same order as before, i wouldn't think you'd need to re-install the raid drivers because they should already be installed with the windows os that is already installed on the raid.

once/if you can get the raid up and running then add the tb drives. then you might need to use the vista disc to repair the mbr so you can boot from both os's.

:tup:

and like you said don't format or add anything to the raid until it's up and running.

:b33r:

ya the drives boot right into vista when i remove the tbs drives and shows its in raid.

but when i have the 1tbs booted in windows with the raid drives plug in to it doesint show the raid drives nowhere.

or does the raid drives have to be the ones that runs windows to work?

cause what i want to do is run my 1tbs non raid with windows on those.

and i like to use the raid drives for storage for programs and games like ones that takes long to load like mmos and stuff.

cause every time i try all drives running and when my tbs drives goes in windows i dont see the raid drives listed and when it loads the drivers it says drive f needs formated.

right so the raid works, now add the tb drives, go into bios and make sure the raid is the first boot drive.

now it should still boot into the raid os with the tb drives attached.

now you can either keep it as is and keep changing the boot drive priority in bios to change which os you want to boot.(safest, :lol: )

or you will need to use the vista disc to repair the mbr (to add the vista os to the mbr of the raid drive) this way you should get a choice of which operating system to boot on start up.

now i'm not 100% certain if the vista disc can do this or if you'd have to reinstall vista os or even if you would be better off manually adding the vista os to the mbr of the raid drive.

i don't have any raid running at moment or any windows os to check my memory, :lol:

but i hope this will help you finally get it sorted. :tup:

ya everything works when i use the raid for the boot drives in windows it shows both tbs to.

but what i wanted is to have the tbs as the boot drives and have the raid drives as just storages and for some games.

cause when i boot up the tbs in windows the raid drives doesint show at all.

but now if i boot the raid drives in windows instead i see all drives.

but the problem is the windows on the raid drives isint my main windows not even 64bit.

so pretty much the raid drives have to be the main boot drives if i want to see all drives?

just read this topic again and for some reason i had it in my head you had xp on the raided drives and vista on the 1tb drives.. and wanted to dual boot them.. :blushing:

so if you want the raid drives for data what i would do is boot into the raid os with just the 1 data tb drive installed see if you can add that drive so it's seen in the os then transfer all data you want to keep from the raid onto the tb drive.

now you can put the other tb drive in with the os set is has the boot drive in bios and safely recreate the raid and format it so you can use it for data.

this way your booting into the 1tb vista with 1tb data and the raid as data too.

ya everything works when i use the raid for the boot drives in windows it shows both tbs to.

but what i wanted is to have the tbs as the boot drives and have the raid drives as just storages and for some games.

cause when i boot up the tbs in windows the raid drives doesint show at all.

but now if i boot the raid drives in windows instead i see all drives.

but the problem is the windows on the raid drives isint my main windows not even 64bit.

so pretty much the raid drives have to be the main boot drives if i want to see all drives?

you posted this while i was typing.

no the raid drive doesn't have to be the os but not sure how you'd get it seen by vista(never used it) you might have to recreate and format it so it's wiped clean before it's seen. :shrug:

edit:- also if you wanted to keep the os on the raid drive, now it's up and working, i'd make a disc image of it so if needed you can put it back on at a later date. ;)

Edited by terry1966

gonna copy over the data that i need on the raid drives to one of the 1tbs and gona see what it does when vista asks to format the drive when the tbs is running windows.

might do the disc image like you said to:)

thanks for the help:)

when i was about to format the drive and than thought little and figure i try the raid drives on the other raid channel instead of the one that the 1tbs is.

and when i booted. the drive was there in windows with the 1tbs and detected in raid:)

but one problem i see when i tested with hdtach the max speed it got was 70mbs they use to be 90s and 120 peak.

i tested one of my 1tbs and that got 105mbs so for some reason the 1tbs is faster??

but the raid drives does have 13gb out of 320gb of free space left would low space cause the slow performance on raids?

it seems to be working in raid because its listed as sil raid 0 set 0 320gbs i just don't get the slow performance.

hmm space wasint the problem... free up about over 100gbs and i have 230gbs on it free now but it ony reads 71mbs...

Edited by gordesky1