Change Mode

How much more should I up the v-core?

Well I got this cpu stable @ 3.78 after 3 hours of running Prime 95 it is still staying cool? See pic below..

How much more should I raise the v-core to get it stable @ 4.0? I can get it there just after 30 seconds into windows it Reboots.. So I know it can get there just wondering how much more I can push up the v-core?

Test

Posted Image

Edit: Do you think speedfan is wrong? As it did go to 51c when Prime was running but as soon as I quit it the temp went back down..

Edited by lugnut

Edit: Do you think speedfan is wrong? As it did go to 51c when Prime was running but as soon as I quit it the temp went back down..

Use CPUID Hardware Monitor, it's much more thorough.

I hope not lol.. It is showing one temp is 79c?? No were in my BIOS is a temp that is that high. I opened the case up and nothing is hot? Could it be a glitch?

Posted Image

Here's what mine looks like as to have a means of comparison:

Posted Image

Adam im running my Q6600 same voltage as you 1.264 for 3.0GHz, and was curious what is the difference in your B3 and my G0

then i noticed your temps. im getting right now 10c lower in temps right now and this house is not insulated and the temp outside right now is 104F

what heatsink are your using Adam?

Adam im running my Q6600 same voltage as you 1.264 for 3.0GHz, and was curious what is the difference in your B3 and my G0

then i noticed your temps. im getting right now 10c lower in temps right now and this house is not insulated and the temp outside right now is 104F

I'm using this one: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16835103057

This CPU really hates voltage as it jumped up a good 5 C idle and 10-15 C at full load once I increased the voltage by 50 mV.

ok good.. Temps are steady at 35 to 37 @ 3.78 from 3.0

Speedfan says the same thing..

I am using the Zerotherm Platinum but I modded it and put that big @@@ Ultra Kaze on it and it is flying at 2998 rpms (louder than heck though)

How much further can I push my v-core then? A couple more points.. As I am trying to get at least 3.9 stable hopefully 4

I'm using this one: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16835103057

This CPU really hates voltage as it jumped up a good 5 C idle and 10-15 C at full load once I increased the voltage by 50 mV.

not a bad cooler at all, my idle temps stay roughly the same when its cooler.

when i overclocked my Q6600 to over 3.8GHz on air, the full load temps would more then likely kill the CPU

http://www.pcpitstop.com/betapit/sec.asp?conid=22224638

when i tested then my temps were idle around 45c

At full load (all four cores) yes it never went above 51c. Had prime on for 3 hours..

lugnut, what do your reapers look like? are they the older ones or the newer ones?

mine are the older ones with the Copper

http://www.cluboc.net/reviews/memory/ocz/r...es/DSCF1256.jpg

mine wont touch 1200MHz, best i ever got was like 1130MHz

Edited by BigJoe5434

yea you got the newer ones im sure there better as they are a newer version, highest i got my Q6600 was 3.9GHz on air, so im sure you can get your Phenom to 4.0GHz.

haha i tried 500x8 to see if i could post at 4.0GHZ with my Q6600, haha nope no matter the tweak, so i ended my "see how far i can push it " test

let us know it you get 4.0 :tup:

Ya I got to tinker around a little more as I can get it to windows on 4ghz just as soon as I hit Mozilla or IE it freezes.. Think I am going to take 2 of my ram sticks out as I have all 4 slots filled.. Might help a little..

Good thing about this board is that I have not had to up the vcore untill 3.7ghz (which is weird) but I will take it.

Edited by lugnut

G0 stepping Q6600 uses less power and runs cooler than the B3 matey so Adam will be getting lower temperature with his.

Edit: Correction based on clarification on who's running what stepping.

Edited by Intratech

G0 stepping Q6600 uses less power and runs cooler than the B3 matey so Adam should not be getting higher temperature than yours unless you have a better HSF and ventilation/airflow.

You said it!... well, vice-versa anyway.

Oh, sorry. Adam has the B3 and Liljoe has the G0 so yeah, temperatures are correct. Nothing to see here, move along.

little joe huh? hahaha thats a first :laughing:

Yeah, I got this Q6600 when they first came out. The processors were around $600 at the time :blink:

$600, ouch

Dude! Wait.... what? :blink::blink:

Yes, back in the day, these were the number one processor available.. They were also in short supply. I believe I got it back in July of 07. Not completely positive on that though.

Core 2 Quad Q6600 SL9UM (B3) 2400 MHz 2 × 4 MB 1066 MT/s 9x 1.1 - 1.372 V 105 W LGA775 January 7, 2007 HH80562PH0568M $851

Edited by AdamMAXIS