Change Mode

Up for a challenge?

Specs:

MSI Wind U100

Atom n270 1.6ghz cpu

2 gigs ram

intel gma950

10" touchscreen with built in webcam.

After some thought, i'm a bit stale on XP anyway and i give up fixing my standbye issue on it. I know how to customize it well to my liking but would prefer something faster, so i'm considering Linux.

So anyway, I hope you guys are up for a challenge, that is ability to give a noob some step by steps to create my own personalized distro, rather than links to long boring reads, i know theres alot to it but i'd rather have it setup how i want it first before i learn deeper aspects of other things with it, i'm vaguely familiar with Linux with little experience with it so forgive me if what i'm asking is completely stupid.. I want to customize my own linux distro to precisely fit my needs and have it installable from flash drive for my Netbook.

I'll tell you my needs and you guys tell me the step by step process's on how to set each one up.i'll either figure out the rest or ask later. if i have questions. i know how to install it and get apps,drivers for it, but changing looks..etc i dont.

1. I want to start with a lightweight, very fast Linux distro as a starting point,....so which do you guys recommend? I hear Gentoo is really fast but Linux Mint may have better driver support? i want lightweight,speed and driver support lol.

2. I then want to put on a sleek looking taskbar/theme/skin..whatever you want to call it, compiz fusion, a glassy looking theme...something modern, minimal and rounded. I also really like how Looking Glass is, but can anyone recommend it,? i installed it once but i forget if i liked it or not.

3 I want to completely remove all applications and services that i dont need...completly remove assuming the distro has some installed that i dont want.

4. I'd like to rename the distro and change the loading screen if possible..i dont intend to share it, but would be fun to rename the distro to something that suits me as i'm just not fond of most Linux names.

5.I want all the popular codecs and ability to watch Mpeg2 ...no decrypting necessary.

6. I'll listen to music and burn it as well, so recommend me a good visually appealing media player

7 I may need to add drivers. that is i want to remove any extra's and just get my own so its installed by default every time i reformat.

8. I want to compile it all to be installable from a flash drive, so i need steps on how to take my customized distro and image it for installation.

I only use Netbook for FF for internet and play classic console games with emulators like "Gens,nestopia,mame"..etc. Watch some vids and listen to music,burn music. I also need to get my ps3 gamepad to work via bluetooth but i'll worry about that last.

once i have it setup, i hope to image it so i can install / reinstall, as desired without having to redo everything from scratch.

I plan to test everything out in virtualbox first of course, So to sum it up and clarify, i'm basically wanting the fastest distro i can use thats easy enough for me to navigate apps with an intuitive interface thats clean,modern looking without all the services,apps...etc that i dont use.

again i apologize if all this is utterly stupid, dont flame me, i was just hoping to have my own personal OS cause windows and current linux distros by default just arent something i'd really consider to be my dream OS for this netbook since i only use it for very specific things.

.....or, someone could just create one for me? it'll be fun? hehe

Edited by f1refly

:wp:

i'm not sure you'd be able to call it your own distro, :lol:

anyway i think one of our members, John, uses a very fast minimal distro with his atom so be patient and i'm sure he'll pop in sometime and be able to give you some pointers.

or you could just try something like this(which i would and then customize away) :- http://www.ubuntu.com/GetUbuntu/download-netbook

:b33r:

Edited by terry1966

Easiest and about one of the best for a netbook would be Easy Peasy http://www.geteasypeasy.com/

I have also had great success with openSUSE

http://www.opensuse.org/en/

Both do just about everything you want out of the box. Both have every driver working out of the box, and both will set your screen resolution correctly.

You will however find it rather difficult and time consuming to rename a distribution. There is much much more involved then just changing the name as you will find branding in so many different places that it takes a pretty experienced user to remove everything and replace with your own branding.

Also you may find many distributions have a difficult time with the Intel video drivers as some new distributions just make a mess of it.

I have tested several distributions on Intel Atom netbooks and have found the two I mentioned above to work the best out of the box.

As for changing themes well that is probably the easiest thing there is to do certainly far easier then renaming and changing the branding of a distribution.

Easiest and about one of the best for a netbook would be Easy Peasy http://www.geteasypeasy.com/

I have also had great success with openSUSE

http://www.opensuse.org/en/

Both do just about everything you want out of the box. Both have every driver working out of the box, and both will set your screen resolution correctly.

You will however find it rather difficult and time consuming to rename a distribution. There is much much more involved then just changing the name as you will find branding in so many different places that it takes a pretty experienced user to remove everything and replace with your own branding.

Also you may find many distributions have a difficult time with the Intel video drivers as some new distributions just make a mess of it.

I have tested several distributions on Intel Atom netbooks and have found the two I mentioned above to work the best out of the box.

As for changing themes well that is probably the easiest thing there is to do certainly far easier then renaming and changing the branding of a distribution.

but is it fast and lightweight? i read about debian minimal and i could then sudoapt whatever i want into it

i'd rather start a bit bare bones with something fast and add what i need from there.

but however i will try out easypeasy in virtualbox, though thats the silliest name i've heard yet :rolleyes: so far i'm not too enthused seeing how it has office and all that junk. So if i keep it i hope someone will tell me how to remove all that and make it into an installable iso so i can reinstall it easily if i need to.

with a name like this, i wouldnt care how many files i had to go through to rename it, i know its silly but i really dont want to see a name like easypeasy on bootup and everything else i do on it.

I'm hoping to get some step by step instructions to do what i want, i really dont want an OS thats all premade cause i might as well use Windows XP. I'm trying to stay minimal to just what i need so i can have the fastest boots and app launches possible.

OK then, go to Linux from scratch and get two large bottles of excedrine and have at making your own distribution.

To be honest, you come here saying you know how to do everything you will need to know, but that you don't even know how to change a theme.

Then you say you want to do something as time exaustive and difficult as rename a complete distribution, yet you don't know how to "uninstall" an application you may not want.

I venture to say that you are setting yourself up for failure.

Use a pre-made distribution, get familiar with with changing settings, changing themes, adding and removing software, getting familiar with the tools and commands you will need. Building and compiling applications and drivers from source code, building and compiling custom kernels tailored to your specific needs. If you are a very, very competent computer user who learns quickly that should take a couple years.

Then consider making your own distribution.

Thats why i asked for instructions on doing each part i asked about.

you know like, install this, then sudo apt-get gnome whatever, then do this to change bootup screen, this to change wallpaper, etc.

I wouldnt mind easypeasy but you would have to explain how to remove all the apps and especially that horrid name at the top among other things. i'm looking into Debian etch or whatever its called, suppose to be barebones and i can then put XFCE desktop to get me started, i can get apps on it myself but few of the other things i'd need would require step by step instructions.

if you dont want to help thats fine, just say so. If i fail then i fail, its only a laptop but i'm doing virtual first.

also, keep in mind i'm not intersted in learning Linux, i only want to use apps on it. however i also want it to suit my laptop specifically which is what i thought Linux was about, suiting what i want. which is why i want one tailored for me, but no one will do that but me, so here i am. at least i'm trying, give me a break

Edited by f1refly

for now i settle on Debian minimal, should be faster than xp after everythings i need installed i hope. i installed xfce but may lxde later. but for now i'm having trouble with obtaining and configuring GMA 950 driver. once i get the drivers down i think i can handle the packages i need less theres some i dont know i need for what i'm using it for like i dont know yet if i'll need any power management stuff but i want to get the video driver out of the way first. then i'll put in opengl.

any recommends on the step to take after that?

Edited by f1refly

seriously any linux distro is going to be fast enough and i'd definitely start off with something like easy peasy and then use the software manager to remove anything you don't want, it'll be a lot easier.

here's 2 links i think you should read/watch.

http://www.linux-netbook.com/video/brief-i...x-distributions

this 2nd slax sounds a bit like what your looking for when you say you want to start with basics and add just what you want, i've no experience with it tho.

http://www.slax.org/

and lastly you could always start off with just the kernel then add what you like, very hard.. :lol:

http://www.kernel.org/

:tup:

seriously any linux distro is going to be fast enough and i'd definitely start off with something like easy peasy and then use the software manager to remove anything you don't want, it'll be a lot easier.

here's 2 links i think you should read/watch.

http://www.linux-netbook.com/video/brief-i...x-distributions

this 2nd slax sounds a bit like what your looking for when you say you want to start with basics and add just what you want, i've no experience with it tho.

http://www.slax.org/

and lastly you could always start off with just the kernel then add what you like, very hard.. :lol:

http://www.kernel.org/

:tup:

uhm, well i was aware of that info but thanks for the advice, but that didnt answer my last question, err, well i have yet to get one answered here but nevermind that one, i got most everything i want except latest video driver, however i have a new one i cant seem to get past.

debian minimal mind you. i run sudo nano /boot/grub/menu.lst so i can edit grub but it asks for my password, i type it in but nothing appears to be typed in the terminal. it then says f1refly is not in the sudoers file. this incident will be reported.

so i assume its saying my password is wrong? but its not. i typed it and retyped it correctly, am i missing something?

hopefully once i get this, all i have is a couple more things to do outside of renaming the distro, then perhaps maybe, someone here would be kind enough to explain what i need to do in order to make it all into a bootable .iso so i can install it from flash... please?

thanks marcynt, it turned out i repeadetly hitting the wrong key when typing, small kb.

Almost done, thankfully i found people who gave me alot of step instructions and apps,not sure why anyone here said it was so hard. however one issue i got is i cant get the intro loading screen working.

Does anyone here know how to add my image manually. like where do i put it, what needs changed? I already tried in both livehelper and reconstructor with the changed assumptions for debian, but for some reason when i compile it, it wont show it correctly, so i want try to add it manually and then i can touch it all up and see how well the distro turned out on my laptop.

i have the image ready, knockoff of an old atari game since i play console emulators alot, i named the distro f1refly os naturally and created a intro loading screen ( i guess its correct)? to reflect the style of the distro i went for.

heres the image i made, what do you guys think? color format wrong perhaps? it is the correct resolution that i have on my netbook

30269281.th.png