Change Mode

Guess they should just shut down this forum and redirect it to Google. :rolleyes:

Core clock will be the gpu speed of the card.

Memory clock is of course is the memory speed.

Higher is better on both.

Some questions that require no expertise are more adequately answered with a simple google search. Especially when the questions asked are already phrased so well for a google search.

Ya, so pretty much you can have a video card with 2GB of GDDR3 and a low memory clock and it wont make a difference between a card with 1GB of GDDR5 and a slightly higher memory clock.

think of it this way, a video card is kinda like a PC. It has RAM and it has a CPU and they run at their own speeds.. (memory clock and core clock)

Some questions that require no expertise are more adequately answered with a simple google search. Especially when the questions asked are already phrased so well for a google search.

Did you know that Google can point to this forum when a search is done by someone? We answer computer questions here, not farm them out to Google searches to have them sent back here.

Thank you KRAM for what you have said. I did google for a review for my video card but its so old that there isnt any. If I wanted to google it and get some random answer from people that might not have a clue what theyre talking about I would. Id rather ask you guys since I kinda know you and I know that you all know what your talking about. Google can be unreliable. I looked at the links he gave and it was a bit confusing what they wrote. I like the way el kido explained it.

In addition to what has been said above, don't get too hung up on the "faster is better" mentaliy. here is an example of it backfiring,

http://www.gpureview.com/show_cards.php?ca...9&card2=606

the card on the right has a higher core clock and a slightly lower memory clock than the one on the left, yet the card on the left is almost twice as fast. The core architecture, memory bus width and others also play a part in which is faster.

Oh and for all the Google posters, this thread isn't there yet, but by this time tomorrow you'll likely find it using the thread title for the search terms in the first few results.

I personally dont care if the same question is asked a million times. We rarely harass people regarding their question and I barely have ever seen a user here say "why dont you try the search engine first". That just annoys me.

In addition to what has been said above, don't get too hung up on the "faster is better" mentaliy. here is an example of it backfiring,

http://www.gpureview.com/show_cards.php?ca...9&card2=606

the card on the right has a higher core clock and a slightly lower memory clock than the one on the left, yet the card on the left is almost twice as fast. The core architecture, memory bus width and others also play a part in which is faster.

Oh and for all the Google posters, this thread isn't there yet, but by this time tomorrow you'll likely find it using the thread title for the search terms in the first few results.

Right stormy, I was generally speaking if you are looking at the same series (models) of cards. The representation you gave is of two different series (models). Good point. Also some cards are clocked too high from the factory and have issues.
Core: This is the graphics processor (GPU). Think of it as a CPU that processes what you see on your screen. The core speed (measured in megahertz) is the clock speed that the GPU runs at.

There's much more to GPU performance than just its clock speed, but if I tried to explain this, I'd just confuse the hell out of you. Read the guide that Cleeve linked to; if you have any more questions, ask him (he's the expert).

Memory: The graphics memory (also called VRAM) holds textures. VRAM clock speed can be measured in megahertz or gigahertz. Once again, there's more to memory performance than just clock speed, but I'm not going to try and explain it.

Core clock is the clock used by the GPU, i.e. the graphics chip.

Memory clock is the clock used on the communication between the GPU and the memory chips.

Performance is reflected by both clocks.

Think of your graphics card as a small computer. The core clock is what that computer bases all it's decisions on. The memory clock tells how fast this info gets distributed to the GPU (Graphical Processing Unit). All of this is in simple terms.

Cache memory is stuff stored that is usually called for regularly, by having it at the ready, The GPU operates more efficiently if it has this info at the ready.

Radeon's site has oodles of really technical details about all this stuff as does NVidia. Basically All GPUs function in a similar fashion, as small computers. The technologies may differ but still...

...thanks Google!

like KRAM said, then lets close the pit and have a bunch of google search engines lol

Don't worry, buddy. The pit will always be here for the people who lack the search skills to find their own answers to certain problems.

That's kind of hypocritical of ya Adam...

http://forums.pcpitstop.com/index.php?show...=168469&hl=

A simple google search could have answered your question in that thread, yet, for some reason, people who knew the answer to your question assisted you.

Not everyone is well-versed in Google-Fu, so searching might not bring them the results they desire.

Maybe you dont get it maxis. The reason the pit is here is for people to come to it looking for information. Google has obviously led you to other places. The owners of PC-Pitstop want people looking in THEIR forums. Thats why theyre here. So you can take google and shove it because I dont have alot of trust for google and i'd much rather talk to people that know my skills with computers and that make things more understandable for me and talk to me like a person. If everybody googled everything, people would use PC-Pitstop alot less and PC-Pitstop would make less money. But you didnt think of that because your too busy complaining because I wrote a thread asking a simple question and your too lazy to just answer it so we all have to get into a huge debate on wether to use Google or The Pit. Try searching :filtered: in Google Images and see if your picture comes up.

Core clocks: The core clock is the speed that the center of the Earth runs at. It runs at approximately 65,000Mph, or 65,000 Megahertz per hour. As such, it runs very hot, and requires significant cooling (the oceans/seas) in order to keep it from completely melting, and destroying the Earth. Occasionally, when the core tries to clock itself down in order to prevent a thermal shutdown, we experience what we know as natural disasters. Luckily though, the core is sufficiently cooled, so thermal shutdown is a remote possibility.

Memory clocks: It's the speed your memory runs at. As you get older, your memory slows down, as to not overheat/overwork the circuits in your brain. People attribute old age/Alzheimer's/head trauma to lessening memory, but it's really the megahertz of your brain slowing down.

Greasyfork, don't worry about what Adam said. Go with my explanation, as it is clearly the most well though out and researched.

Or, you can go with what "normal" people say, and believe that core clocks are the speed of which the GPU runs, and memory speeds being the speed the memory that the GPU utilizes runs at. :rolleyes:

Edited by brandon

trouble with google is sometimes the info overwhelms you(like me now and ssd drive setup for best performance/life. dual boot win7/linux. :rofl2: ) when all you want/need is for someone to tell you in easy terms how to do something.

with clock speed tho i suppose the easiest way to say it is that the clock speed is just the timing that information is processed at, so assuming the same hardware(hd4890 say) then the higher the clock speed the faster it processes the info, which should equate to better performance. but some times if the info is processed to fast then mistakes happen (artifacts in picture,etc) caused because some of the hardware can't keep up or in sync.

might not be exactly accurate but think that explains things. :lol:

:b33r:

Guess they should just shut down this forum and redirect it to Google. :rolleyes:

Core clock will be the gpu speed of the card.

Memory clock is of course is the memory speed.

Higher is better on both.

Nope, I did the google search for him and show him how to do it in the future. I provided a service that could help him in the future along with many links to the answers to which he is looking for. It's something along the lines of give a man a fish and you feed him for a day, teach him to fish and he can feed himself for life.

You seriously need to chill batman.

Maybe you dont get it maxis. The reason the pit is here is for people to come to it looking for information. Google has obviously led you to other places. The owners of PC-Pitstop want people looking in THEIR forums. Thats why theyre here.

You asked a simple question that I typed into Google and found several responses all within the first 5 results. Me and several other members here taught you how to obtain information which is even better than simply regurgitating information at you. The ultimate goal here is to get you to become well versed in PC knowledge so that you could eventually help others with questions.

So you can take google and shove it because I dont have alot of trust for google and i'd much rather talk to people that know my skills with computers and that make things more understandable for me and talk to me like a person.

I don't appreciate your rudeness especially when I not only answered your question with several sources but I also showed you how to get such answers easily in the future. For teaching you a very helpful skill both in PC hardware/software and in life, you treat me with disrespect? Bah, you're very ungrateful.

...your too busy complaining because I wrote a thread asking a simple question and your too lazy to just answer it so we all have to get into a huge debate on wether to use Google or The Pit. Try searching :filtered: in Google Images and see if your picture comes up.

You need to relax. You asked a simple question that I typed into Google and found several responses all within the first 5 results. Not only have you done this in this particular thread, but you also asked for "reviews for your video card," which, trust me, you could have typed into Google EXACTLY like that and got all the results in the world. But instead, YOU were LAZY and just dumped it into here and expected someone to do all your work for you.

However, perhaps you won't be so lazy next time when it comes to such an easy question and you will use the skills that I and several other members taught you to find your result. It may take some practice, but you will eventually master it and be able to find whatever your heart desires through a simple Google search. Now I know that since you're new to your Google searching ability that you may not get the answer every time and that's when you can ask for help. However, simply not even trying to look for yourself is a slap to the face to every member here because you're demonstrating that you've learned nothing and you're simply exploiting the members for your own lazy shortcomings.

You asked a simple question that I typed into Google and found several responses all within the first 5 results. Me and several other members here taught you how to obtain information which is even better than simply regurgitating information at you. The ultimate goal here is to get you to become well versed in PC knowledge so that you could eventually help others with questions.

I don't appreciate your rudeness especially when I not only answered your question with several sources but I also showed you how to get such answers easily in the future. For teaching you a very helpful skill both in PC hardware/software and in life, you treat me with disrespect? Bah, you're very ungrateful.

You need to relax. You asked a simple question that I typed into Google and found several responses all within the first 5 results. Not only have you done this in this particular thread, but you also asked for "reviews for your video card," which, trust me, you could have typed into Google EXACTLY like that and got all the results in the world. But instead, YOU were LAZY and just dumped it into here and expected someone to do all your work for you.

However, perhaps you won't be so lazy next time when it comes to such an easy question and you will use the skills that I and several other members taught you to find your result. It may take some practice, but you will eventually master it and be able to find whatever your heart desires through a simple Google search. Now I know that since you're new to your Google searching ability that you may not get the answer every time and that's when you can ask for help. However, simply not even trying to look for yourself is a slap to the face to every member here because you're demonstrating that you've learned nothing and you're simply exploiting the members for your own lazy shortcomings.

again adam, we dont mind answering such a simple question. Its our hobby, it is what keeps us going through the day :mrgreen:

again adam, we dont mind answering such a simple question. Its our hobby, it is what keeps us going through the day :mrgreen:

As far as I've read, you didn't really answer the question at all. The one sentence you wrote about it does not cover it very well. Perhaps you should try harder to answer such a simple question as it is your hobby.