Sign in to follow this  
KRAM

This stinks

I am working on a SLi setup for fun. CPU and motherboard got here today, both new. Open the motherboard box up and the SLi bridge is missing, not happy. I still want to fire this board and cpu up and I remove the plastic socket cover to find out there are bents pins in two different spots in the array.

Frustration! :hammer:

On a good note. The E8600 I got in works great. Running 4Ghz on air never gets over 55°C. Testing the ram and cpu on a P35 board. Runs like a champ, the memory is OCZ 1200Mhz and it hits it with no issue and 5-5-5-15 timings.

:clap:

I am working on a SLi setup for fun. CPU and motherboard got here today, both new. Open the motherboard box up and the SLi bridge is missing, not happy. I still want to fire this board and cpu up and I remove the plastic socket cover to find out there are bents pins in two different spots in the array.

Frustration! :hammer:

Ive never got a sli bridge with a motherboard. The video cards come with a sli/crossfire bridge though.

Ive never got a sli bridge with a motherboard. The video cards come with a sli/crossfire bridge though.

No sir.. every nvidia chipset board that supports SLI I got came with at least a dual SLI bridge. As for single nvidia graphics card, never come with SLI bridge.. but a single ati card does come with a crossfire bridge..

At least in Canada, that's my experience..

Oh and howdy Allen.. hope's all well..

KRAM, man I've had that happen to me.. Actually when I used to work with HP @ a Voodoo PC warehouse, before the merge happened, I used to do QA myself, test the boards.. now I know it sounds :filtered:, but once in a while it is hard not to bend a pin, I know I was as careful as I could be... but imagine testing hundreds of boards for 8 hours straight.. :thud:

Hope you get a new one soon.. E8600 chip stinks.. E8400 rocks (coz' I have it..).. just joking.. :P E8600 processors out there are good, but I wish Intel would just make one good batch.. err. I mean one good stepping, like the E8400, there was one stepping that could overclock real good, the other one can't overclock all that much... that is kinda silly, just make one good stepping, everybody is happy..

Good Luck with your build.. :)

Correct miggs, this board is supposed to have an SLi bridge.

Also I didn't bend the cpu socket pins. They are bent in 2 different spots. Was noticeable soon as I took the plastic cover off the socket.

Correct miggs, this board is supposed to have an SLi bridge.

Also I didn't bend the cpu socket pins. They are bent in 2 different spots. Was noticeable soon as I took the plastic cover off the socket.

Yes yes.. I got you, I Was just mentioning with QA in company/store in vision..

But you should always check for bent pins before sending out a mobo, or at least before packing it in the first place..

Is there an easy way to fix the bent pins? FFS they are tiny, even with 4x magnifying glass.

jewelers standard screwdriver and small amounts of pressure. Have bent a few cpue pins before... long as they dont break your fine.lol

Generally I take a very thin knife and put it on the bottom of the CPU, pushing all of the pins on a row up. I find it makes it much more stable when you push all of the pins rather than try to correct one of them.

Think I would have to find better magnification, 4x just isn't good enough.

Think I would have to find better magnification, 4x just isn't good enough.

Sounds like you need a microscope the way you're talkin. :laughing:

Dude have you seen the pins on the socket 775? They are freakin tiny.

It's on it's way back right now. Ordered another one in. Two 8800 GTS's, C2D E8600 and 2 gigs of PC9600 1200Mhz memory sitting here doing nothing. :hammer:

Never mind, Suse misread that my multiplier was still at 10.

Edited by KRAM

It's on it's way back right now. Ordered another one in. Two 8800 GTS's, C2D E8600 and 2 gigs of PC9600 1200Mhz memory sitting here doing nothing. :hammer:

Its worth the wait i think you will like the e8600 verry much.

I have it in my signature system right now. Just playing with it. I'm beginning not to like this Gigabyte board I have. I did check this chip in another board to make sure it worked when it came in and all was well, temps all read great even at 4Ghz on air.

Have the chip in my signature board right now and Core 2 is stuck at 37°C and never goes lower while the other core is at 32°C or lower and that's with the stock volts at stock speed on water? Plus all I can push the chip to is 4.8Ghz and had to drop the mulity to 9.5 from 10. My Q9650 will run 4.8Ghz, so you would think this lil E8600 could do more then my Q9650.

I have it in my signature system right now. Just playing with it. I'm beginning not to like this Gigabyte board I have. I did check this chip in another board to make sure it worked when it came in and all was well, temps all read great even at 4Ghz on air.

Have the chip in my signature board right now and Core 2 is stuck at 37°C and never goes lower while the other core is at 32°C or lower and that's with the stock volts at stock speed on water? Plus all I can push the chip to is 4.8Ghz and had to drop the mulity to 9.5 from 10. My Q9650 will run 4.8Ghz, so you would think this lil E8600 could do more then my Q9650.

Ive noticed alot of the newer boards ive used seem to give false temp readings, also the software may by incompatable with the temp sensing diode's, i noticed that a bios update and the lastest version of your monitoring tools usually fixes this problem.

Never any stuck temps on the Q9650 cores, but have always seemed higher then expected temps with this setup. Latest bios is in the board.

i think you'll find the temp sensor on the chip won't go lower(it's common i think) and it's nothing to worry about, they work fine and accurate over that temp. ;)

:b33r:

apparently Intels failsafe temp is 90c for that cpu, i wouldnt take one that far myself but it gives you some idea of what they can handle.

as for the oc the 8400 i had (practicly the same as yours) was well capable of 5ghz but that was cooled with water and airconditioned case i didnt need to change the multi or ratio.

Edit

And the temps never went above 40c.

Edited by got the flavor