Sign in to follow this  
LuisP24

Phone over internet?

I keep seeing the stupid commercials on TV for that MagicJack thing and it got me to thinking...

I have plenty of USB2.0 ports available, and if it's a legitimate deal, I have no problem at all with paying $20/yr for membership to have a separate line with the thing. Only problem I've run into with it so far is that on their website (www.magicjack.com), they claim it WON'T work under any Linux or Mac system.. ONLY with Windows XP and Vista. No big deal really, I do have a WinXP setup I could use it through.

But now I'm really thinking... I have a perfectly good dial up modem in my Linux box, so I should be able to get a setup that way, no?

Doing a search resulted in a wiki page that refers to this as VoIP. Seems like a good solution to me, and I'm willing to pay for the service if it comes out cheaper than local phone company here. To the best of my research, the only phone company in my area is AT&T and I've had all I can deal with of them. Theie service rates are ridiculous, and to top it off they want to charge me like $300 for a service drop (which I could very well install myself for free if I had to).

How do I go about this? I've found something for Linux that maybe is what I'm looking for called Asterisk, but I don't really have a clue if that's what I'd need or not.

You're running a broadband connection on your computer? If yes, then magicJack will work with XP, Vista and/or Windows 7: http://forums.pcpitstop.com/index.php?showtopic=159281

Another alternative recently discussed on the boards here is: Ooma http://www.ooma.com/

Of course, Vonage or Skype Out are alternative solutions as well.

http://www.vonage.com/call_plans.php

http://voip.about.com/od/voipsoftware/a/skypeout.htm

My preference is with magicJack.

There are other alternatives, available with various Linux distros, but I don't have any experience with them personnally.

In addition to Asterisk that you mentioned earlier, Linphone is another such application.

:)Y

Yeah, I have a cable connection.. well sort of. My ISP shows as Comcast but I connect wireless with a Belkin F5D7050 USB adapter. Shouldn't be any problem though as I'm able to attain stable connection up to ~20Mbps.

Linphone seems like a good one, but I don't get how that works. It makes it sound like making a call is done by typing in an address. So how do you dial someone up from the actual phone? I have a vtech 5.8GHz cordless. Just need some sort of service to use it on and I'm not about to pay $300 for a drop line to be installed.

There are plenty of options besides Vonnage. Packet8, VOIP your life comes to mind.

Also, it will work great, just a little more the 20 a year (like 25 a month...but still cheap)

Just plug in the VOIP adapter to your router/switch, and off you go with good to great phone service.

Just plug in the VOIP adapter to your router/switch, and off you go with good to great phone service.

See thats where I get confused.. I've been reading a lot lately that many people have been able to get it to work with wireless connection. But how? I would assume it works like you just said to connect the VOIP adapter to router/switch. But I'm doing like everyone else in the neighborhood is currently doing.. connecting to wi-fi hotspot witha USB wireless adapter. Thats my only connection to the internet.. system has 2 ethernet ports, 1 onboard and 1 PCI card add on. I have both disabled since they're not being used.

I keep seeing the stupid commercials on TV for that MagicJack thing and it got me to thinking...

I have plenty of USB2.0 ports available, and if it's a legitimate deal, I have no problem at all with paying $20/yr for membership to have a separate line with the thing. Only problem I've run into with it so far is that on their website (www.magicjack.com), they claim it WON'T work under any Linux or Mac system.. ONLY with Windows XP and Vista. No big deal really, I do have a WinXP setup I could use it through.

But now I'm really thinking... I have a perfectly good dial up modem in my Linux box, so I should be able to get a setup that way, no?

Doing a search resulted in a wiki page that refers to this as VoIP. Seems like a good solution to me, and I'm willing to pay for the service if it comes out cheaper than local phone company here. To the best of my research, the only phone company in my area is AT&T and I've had all I can deal with of them. Theie service rates are ridiculous, and to top it off they want to charge me like $300 for a service drop (which I could very well install myself for free if I had to).

How do I go about this? I've found something for Linux that maybe is what I'm looking for called Asterisk, but I don't really have a clue if that's what I'd need or not.

the only thing I dislike is the connector is usb only and not available as ethernet, wich means you have to have your computer on 24/7 with vonage you get a branded linksys adapter, and can plug in into a router and be done with it, if you turn off your computer (save $$ on electricity) you still get and make calls. Magic jack is a great Idea for laptops who need to make calls, or scheduled in recieving calls. I had vonage, for a few years, was ok. I needed more potability, so we went with alltel prepaid, now being bought out by verison. with prepaid, now its $0.75 a day, unlimited texts, unlimited nights and weekends starting at 9pm. for me and my wife, we needed unlimited texts, and low monthly bill. calls are at $0.10/min untill 9pm but thats not a problem, we tell people to text when possable. works for us