Reduce System Restore Capacity

I ran Overdrive Test and under summary it says my System Overdrive Capacity should be reduced. But when I go into the system performance section of my PC it is already set at about 3% as recommended. Why didn't Pcpitstop test catch this?

Attached is my recent Overdrive Test:

http://www.pcpitstop.com/techexpress.asp?id=VHP48WYJ9KJSNUHK

My pc is really running slow. I did update the video drivers. BIOS driver was updated. Is it just because my pc is old?

Sorry, here is my Overdrive Test Result:

http://www.pcpitstop.com/betapit/sec.asp?c...;report=Summary

Edited by tekouba

The link you posted is for the old Tech Express, not OverDrive, and is not showing that tip:

Customized Tune-up Tips

• Check IE Restricted Sites zone

• Defragment files (Drive C)

• Update outdated device drivers

• Adjust IE browser cache size

• Auto-filling Forms with IE May Present a Security Risk

• Saving Web Page Passwords with Firefox May Present a Security Risk

If you post an OverDrive link we may be able to see what's going on.

The computer is probably running slowly because it has over 70 programs running in the background, one of which is a backup program, all competing for CPU cycles on a single core processor.

• 3 weeks later...

I've had this same issue for quite awhile now, but not posted about it until I read this thread.

Running Windows XP Pro SP3, and I am unable to set system restore to 3%, the marks go from: 0%-1%-2%-4%-5%-6%......and so on up to 12%. The 3% mark is not there to choose :mrsgreen:

My HDD capacity is 698GB, So I have set System Restore to 2% (17329mb) When I do a full OVERDRIVE Test, it will detect that I STILL need to reduce System Restore (Recommended 3% and, actually set at 2%) Although this is the only problem the OverDrive tests have shown, I find it rather strange, and a little annoying, that this has not been picked up on, and fixed by now :angry:

Link to Overdrive performance Results: http://www.pcpitstop.com/betapit/sec.asp?conid=22424999

Swifty

Edited by swiftyone

:wp:

The only place the 3% number shows up is in the illustration. 3% is not a recommended amount, it just happens to be in the picture.

What the tune-up tip states for a recommendation is:

"In the Drive Settings dialog, move the slider until the amount of disk space less than 2 gigabytes; we recommend a value of about 1 gigabyte and System Restore requires at least 200 megabytes to operate. Since the size is expressed as a percent of the total size of the partition, you may not be able to fine-tune the value; the exact amount is not critical.

:wp:

The only place the 3% number shows up is in the illustration. 3% is not a recommended amount, it just happens to be in the picture.

What the tune-up tip states for a recommendation is:

"In the Drive Settings dialog, move the slider until the amount of disk space less than 2 gigabytes; we recommend a value of about 1 gigabyte and System Restore requires at least 200 megabytes to operate. Since the size is expressed as a percent of the total size of the partition, you may not be able to fine-tune the value; the exact amount is not critical.

Thank you for your quick reply, I guess I misunderstood/misread about the Restore issues, thank you for putting me right on these points :) Have now reduced System Restore further down to 1% (8764mb) big jump from 200mb at 0% to 8764mb at 1% :cr@sh: but that's life :P

Cheers :b33r: my friend

Swifty