Sign in to follow this  
rickster

Does He Get Charged Or Allowed To Walk

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/3073355.stm

should this man be charged with anything for this "incident" or allowed to walk free?

i think they should be given the bill for all the police used in this investigation and the man not to be charged with abduction. she lied to him by saying she was 19 now maybe he was neiave i dont think he should be charged. it show how dangerous the web can be for minors and the vunrable

It's only his word that she said she was 19. Even if he did think she was older surely he would have realised she was just a child when he met her but they disappeared off to France together for four days. And doesn't he have a bit of a murky past with regard to young girls?

I was reading abut that last night,,and would like the rest of the story.

But it would seem to me that a guy could tell the difference between 12 and 18.

I know kids mature alot faster physically these days but thats quite a big age gap.

So I'll keep my rope in the shed for awhile longer. ;) v

While I agree she is partly to blame for lying about her age, but so is he partly to blame. In this day and age, especially him being ex-military, he should have asked for some sort of identification to prove her age, if for nothing more than his own protection.

id like to know why "mum" didnt intervene on the 11hour internet sessions id never let my kids sit there for 11 hours in front of a pc.

was the charges against him not dropped in the past?

Guest Deuces Wild

What does the fact the he is a former marine have anything to do with the story? If he was a former banker should that have been noted?

It seems clear to me that it was an attempt by the BBC (can you say "liberal press"?) to discredit the US military, especially when they use a picture of him in uniform in front of the US flag. I can think of no other reason for it. :mrsgreen:

Over here the millitary and the like are seen as very responsible adults like they are i dont think the bbc did it to discredit the usa foorces more for the shock and selling potential. I used to be in the liquer trade and telling the differance between teenagers is not easy. I implemented a system where if you APPEAR under 21 you will be asked for ID even though the law here states you have to be 18 to be allowed to drink liquer here

He must have been well shocked to discover she was a bit of a dog.  

Moon put the claws away :mrgreen:

Edited by rickster

What does the fact the he is a former marine have anything to do with the story? If he was a former banker should that have been noted?

It seems clear to me that it was an attempt by the BBC (can you say "liberal press"?) to discredit the US military, especially when they use a picture of him in uniform in front of the US flag. I can think of no other reason for it. :mrsgreen:

If you were referring to my statement about him being ex-military, all I meant was that in the military one is usually trained to notice things the average person isn't. If you weren't referring to me, then just disregard this, as I tend to be a bit paranoid at times. :P

Hey let's not turn this into a political thing. It doesn't matter that he was a marine or that he's American. What matters is that he's a 31 year old man who should know better than to run off with a 12 year old girl.

Just had a discussion about this at work last night.

Sop there are a large number of highschool cheerleaders in town right now for some cheerleading camp going on. one of the guys at one of my jobs says, well hey some of them have to be 18 right? Even still the age of consent in WI is 17, so this brings some legal quyestions they are residents of anotehr state so 17 would be a no-go I would think. Regardless. Wouldn't this statemnt seem a bit odd, say mid coitus, sorry to breeak the mood I know you said you were 18 but I am going to need to see some Identification.

And people thought wait a sec I need a condom was a mood breaker years back :mrgreen:

A mood-breaker, perhaps, yes. But definitely not as big of a mood breaker as, say, criminal charges, huh? ;)

And yes Jazzy, one has to wonder what in the world a 31 yr old man (of any country) would want with a 12 yr old (or even 18 for that matter) girl. Get real! Can't these men find women their own age?

Guest Deuces Wild

Hey let's not turn this into a political thing.  It doesn't matter that he was a marine or that he's American.  What matters is that he's a 31 year old man who should know better than to run off with a 12 year old girl.

So why was it important for the BBC to mention several times he was an ex marine? :blink::blink::blink:

It had nothing to do with the story.

Edited by Deuces Wild

So why was it important for the BBC to mention several times he was an ex marine? :blink:  :blink:  :blink:

It had nothing to do with the story.

Probably just giving a bit of background to the man. Age, nationality, occupation are usually mentioned when someone is accused of something aren't they?

Guest Deuces Wild

If those things have nothing to do with the story they should not be mentioned.

But I guess if they mentioned it once in the story it would have been ok. But to mention it several times, put it in the story headline and include his military picture showed a blatant attempt to link the US military to his conduct. There is no other logical way to see it. :blink:

I don't know where they obtained that photo but I do know that his brother and sister-in-law have been interviewed several times for British TV. Maybe the photo came from them.

As for the marine thing, I wouldn't mind betting if he'd been a doctor or a cop that would have got a mention as well. There are some professions we all respect and look up to, the military is one of them so it's all the more shocking when one of them steps out of line.

I was reading abut that last night,,and would like the rest of the story.

But it would seem to me that a guy could tell the difference between 12 and 18.

I know kids mature alot faster physically these days but thats quite a big age gap.

So I'll keep my rope in the shed for awhile longer. ;) v

it you saw that girl in my program in pigtails........

and she's 22.....

Guest Deuces Wild

I don't know where they obtained that photo but I do know that his brother and sister-in-law have been interviewed several times for British TV. Maybe the photo came from them.

As for the marine thing, I wouldn't mind betting if he'd been a doctor or a cop that would have got a mention as well. There are some professions we all respect and look up to, the military is one of them so it's all the more shocking when one of them steps out of line.

And just maybe the photo did not come from them. ;)

I fail to understand your logic Jasmine. If he was an ex doctor, I doubt the headlines and story would have been splattered with that fact. If it were then I would question its relevance then too.

It's easy for a guy to get duped on the 'Net, same as the other way around. Personally, I think that being a marine is a good character reference and , if anything, the BBC has done the guy a favour. It would seem that, as soon as he saw the newspapers describing her age, he couldn't get rid of her fast enough. :lol:

Let him go he got duped by the girl, and when he discovered her ruse he sent her packing.

He made mistake that he rectified immediately, and if any crime was commited it was by her device of trickery.

Just out of curiosity DW but would you be questioning this if he was an ex British marine?

And I don't agree with you, I reckon "former doctor" would have made the headlines as well. And "ex cop".

Guest Deuces Wild

I cannot honestly say. I would hope so, but maybe, maybe not.

Ex-doctor, ex-cop, ex-marine, ex-garbage collector....mention it once in the story and the point is made. That did not happen here. ;)

Nice chatting with you.