Change Mode

i contacted new egg and they said send it back for a refund and they wont take a restocking fee sense the card is bad because overheatinking and they say order the his 4890 and when they get the card they refund my 140$

think that be the best thing to do?

i contacted new egg and they said send it back for a refund and they wont take a restocking fee sense the card is bad because overheatinking and they say order the his 4890 and when they get the card they refund my 140$

think that be the best thing to do?

Would newegg void the transaction if they discover that you tampered with the warranty?

hmm not sure...

tho i did the same thing with my old ati 9800se and i unlocked the extra 8 pipelines and also did the thermal paste and they took it back no problem.

i even told them about unlocking the extra pipelines and they did int have no problem with that lol

i dont think they would tell because there was no stickers no were to be broken.

do you think i should put some new white thermal paste on it to be safe?

because thats what was the color of there thermal paste.

the stuff i put on was artic silver 5 and not sure if they would think twice when they see the silver thermal paste.

Are you dense or something? :blink:

Let me make sure you understand it this time.

THE FAN ONLY HAS 2 SETTINGS: OFF OR ON. THERE IS NO WAY TO MAKE IT GO ANY FASTER AS IT IS ALREADY RUNNING AT 100% AT ALL TIMES. I SUGGESTED THAT THE ONLY POSSIBLE WAY TO MAKE IT GO FASTER WOULD BE TO PHYSICALLY VOLT MOD IT AND GIVE IT MORE JUICE; HOWEVER, THIS CAN BE DANGEROUS AS IT MAY BURN OUT THE MOTOR ON THE FAN.

Perhaps you won't just skim my posts now that I've put the important part in all bolded caps.

Alright Adam, I never was skimming your post. I thoroughly read it, not once did I ever imply he should attempt to try and make the fan go faster than 100% by a volt mod. Given I might not have fully explained myself please let me elaborate. I was recommending Rivatuner to set up fan profiles and have the fan speed ramp up and accelerate when the card reached a certain threshold on the temp. My GTS 512 is set up this way. I assumed the principle could be applied to the 4870. Granted my card is from Nvidia and is a G92 based card. Even though the fan speed has two speed there should be a way to manipulate the controller and set up several profiles to adjust the fan speed from say 50% in idle all the way to 100% on full load. I could possibly be wrong. If someone who owns a 4870 tell me if this technique is possible please enlighten me and tell em if it works.

Reiterating I have ready your posts thoroughly and possibly may have missed something important on what you were saying. But I never implied once he should attempt to volt mod the card.

Moving on though, I hope the 4890 works for you. Good luck and hope the card comes to you very soon.

Alright Adam, I never was skimming your post. I thoroughly read it, not once did I ever imply he should attempt to try and make the fan go faster than 100% by a volt mod. Given I might not have fully explained myself please let me elaborate. I was recommending Rivatuner to set up fan profiles and have the fan speed ramp up and accelerate when the card reached a certain threshold on the temp. My GTS 512 is set up this way. I assumed the principle could be applied to the 4870. Granted my card is from Nvidia and is a G92 based card. Even though the fan speed has two speed there should be a way to manipulate the controller and set up several profiles to adjust the fan speed from say 50% in idle all the way to 100% on full load. I could possibly be wrong. If someone who owns a 4870 tell me if this technique is possible please enlighten me and tell em if it works.

Reiterating I have ready your posts thoroughly and possibly may have missed something important on what you were saying. But I never implied once he should attempt to volt mod the card.

Moving on though, I hope the 4890 works for you. Good luck and hope the card comes to you very soon.

Are you being sarcastic now? :pullhair:

Or do you just really not understand how the fan on that particular card works?

Are you being sarcastic now? :pullhair:

Or do you just really not understand how the fan on that particular card works?

Why do you presume I am being sarcastic? I clearly asked if someone on the 4870 could elaborate if the technique that I suggested work. Yes there is on and off but I assumed there was a possibility to set temperature thresholds and assigning a percentage of the fan speed rotation when the card hit a specific temperature.

Why do you presume I am being sarcastic? I clearly asked if someone on the 4870 could elaborate if the technique that I suggested work. Yes there is on and off but I assumed there was a possibility to set temperature thresholds and assigning a percentage of the fan speed rotation when the card hit a specific temperature.

On this particular revision of this particular card, no, it is not possible. If you had read any of my posts about it and understood them, you would know this.

On this particular revision of this particular card, no, it is not possible. If you had read any of my posts about it and understood them, you would know this.

I have read your posts but disregarded it because I was curious to know if the same technique that applied to the G92 could be applied to the 4870. Alright then. Variable speed, I have read it but was combing through different forums and seems through Rivatuner it is possible to manually adjust the fan speed. Various methods can be applied but apparently setting up the low level driver setting and manually assigning a specific speed is not possible. I would have to try and get a hold of a 4870 myself and try to see how it works. Never mind, too much trouble to try and go through. Edited by ShadowPredator

I would have to try and get a hold of a 4870 myself and try to see how it works. Never mind, too much trouble to try and go through.

You're still not understanding; not even in the slightest.

Just stop posting and start reading.

the card i had is this one http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16814161269 which th fan cant be change it runs at 100% and even going in the bios of the card and seting the fans to 100% still doesint make it go up. i also tried rivaturner still doesint change the fan.

there is also another card like it http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16814161265

which the fan can be change as you look at the pic it shows it has like 4 wires the ones that controlls the fan is the yellow and blue wire which the top one ony has red and black so it runs at full speed allways.

which is fine but the problem with the card is its missing the mem heatsinks which causeing the memory to get up 90c+ and causeing everything else to get hot.

like on my visontek 4850 it has 4 wires red black and yellow and blue and i can control the fan in riverturner and also with the ati control panel because they added that in there which when the 4800s first came out you couldint change the fan ony doing the the tweak youself but now they added right into the drivers:)

which on the his 4870 the top one the fan or the rpms doesint even show up.

same as if you hook up a fan with 2 prongs to the motherboad with out the 3rd prong its just going to run at full speed because the yellow is the monitoring and fan control wire.

just trying to clear things up what me and Adam is saying:)

i orderd the his 4890 and hopefully get it in couple of days i let you guys know hows everything going with it:)

than going to send out the 4870 and hopefully things go right from there:)

Are you dense or something? :blink:

Let me make sure you understand it this time.

THE FAN ONLY HAS 2 SETTINGS: OFF OR ON. THERE IS NO WAY TO MAKE IT GO ANY FASTER AS IT IS ALREADY RUNNING AT 100% AT ALL TIMES. I SUGGESTED THAT THE ONLY POSSIBLE WAY TO MAKE IT GO FASTER WOULD BE TO PHYSICALLY VOLT MOD IT AND GIVE IT MORE JUICE; HOWEVER, THIS CAN BE DANGEROUS AS IT MAY BURN OUT THE MOTOR ON THE FAN.

Perhaps you won't just skim my posts now that I've put the important part in all bolded caps.

Umm... first of all, take it easy Adam.. secondly, I have one of those first Sapphire 4870 cards that came out, and by god I can use either use rivatuner or even ATI Catalyst, there is a place in ATI Overdrive to adjust fan speeds and stuff, I cam bump a fan speed upto 100% and keep it that way for as long as I want..

Oh by the way, by default the fan speed only runs at 50%..

Umm... first of all, take it easy Adam.. secondly, I have one of those first Sapphire 4870 cards that came out, and by god I can use either use rivatuner or even ATI Catalyst, there is a place in ATI Overdrive to adjust fan speeds and stuff, I cam bump a fan speed upto 100% and keep it that way for as long as I want..

Oh by the way, by default the fan speed only runs at 50%..

Read the thread. Really. :)

Edit: For clarity, I've bolded the discrepancies in your statements.

Thread title: ati his 4870 overheating...

Now, let me explain to you... You have a Sapphire card. The man who posted this thread has a HIS card. Do you understand now, or does it need further elaboration?

Like honestly, I do believe that now people are just purposefully saying the wrong things to get me agitated.

Edited by AdamMAXIS

Read the thread. Really. :)

First of all, let me apologize.. *down on my knees, kneeling* Adam I'm very sorry, I didn't mean to test your patience, and really didn't do it on purpose :P

All right back to topic, I did some google researching, came across this thread : http://forums.pcper.com/showthread.php?p=4272339#post4272339

Gordesky I suggest you try it out. Unless you really want to take your chance to RMA, I don't mean to discourage.. but if the vendor finds out that you opened the card, bad luck..

Out of curiosity what driver version of ATI Catalyst do you have..

Edited by miggs78

hmm i aready tried that link before thats what i mean about the tweaked lol

im runing 9.6 i even tried older drivers. i even went as far and puting my 4850 back in and there it was fan control.

i really dont think they would know because they dont realy check that stuff.

they never check with my other cards i send back.

but ya i tried everything to get this fan to be controlled which isint possible

because this fan on it is ment to be @ 100%

Edited by gordesky1

Guys, obviously this is going to turn into a flame war. Adam I am asking you to relax. I have read the thread time and again. I didn't agree with you because I had a possible idea that might work. Getting on with the discussion.

Rather than try to mess with the 4870 again and take a gamble I would recommend trying to get the 4890. It's basically a 4870 on speed and steroids. Faster clocks and whatnot. HIS ICE Q series of fans are supposed to be superior to the reference ATI cooler. They were actually one of the first ATI based cards I looked at way back in the day. My recommendation would be one of the two cards if you wanted.

XFX Radeon 4890

XFX used to just be an Nvidia board partner but ever since they also partnered up with ATI, their excellent customer service and double lifetime warranty has transferred over to their brand of ATI cards. If I am recall correctly you can overclock this card and possibly even change out the fan later on and still have a warranty. As long as there is no apparent physical damage. (XFX's Double Lifetime Warranty.)

If really want to go with another 4870 I would reccomend one of the following. Sapphire, Asus, and HIS produce very high quality coolers that are much better over the reference cooler. Albeit, I would probably pick a different company over the HIS brand again. Looking over, each one of these has a four pin connector.

First Reccomendation: Sapphire's 4870

MSI's 4870

They use a similar cooler that I was going to but for an 8800GT back in the day.

Apparently most of the card's I viewed only have seen have the four pin connector versus the 3 pin connector. Sorry about the small selection but good luck.

Edited by ShadowPredator

http://forums.pcper.com/showthread.php?p=4272339#post4272339

Gordesky I suggest you try it out. Unless you really want to take your chance to RMA, I don't mean to discourage.. but if the vendor finds out that you opened the card, bad luck..

No. That wouldn't work.

Read the thread.

In case you don't want to read all those other posts, I'll condense them for you.

According to the reviews on newegg, the fan on that model isn't variable speed. It appears that it is either at 100% or off.

The fan that is on that card is not variable speed. The only way to control the speed of that fan would be to actually control the voltage going through it manually and that could be dangerous if it is overvolted.

"We apologize for the problems you have with HIS 4870 fan version, which unfortunately slipped by our rigid inspection. A new 4870 Fan model with updated BIOS and variable fan speed deployed is released, tackling the potential overheat problem.

Please kindly contact HIS Technical support or fill out our online form at http://www.lexycomp.com/forms/rma.pdf and return to our local distributor for following up.

Do feel free to contact

HIS US Technical Support

Hotline: (408) 331-8847

Email: [email protected]

Log #: R-090624-50

if you need any further information.

Your satisfaction is very important to us, and once again we apologize for the inconvenience you have been caused.

Warm Regards,

HIS Customer Support"

Adam I am asking you to relax. I have read the thread time and again. I didn't agree with you because I had a possible idea that might work. Getting on with the discussion.

Obviously you didn't read the thread because you'd see that the fan is stuck at 100% of its available speed at all times. Thus, your suggestions of using programs to increase the speed wouldn't work because the fan is ALWAYS at 100%.

Do you understand now?

No. That wouldn't work.

Read the thread.

In case you don't want to read all those other posts, I'll condense them for you.

Well geez.. I should read.. apologies once again.. Gordesky and ADAM.. sorry maan..

Well obviously you have no choice but to RMA.. since nothing seems to work for you..

Well geez.. I should read.. apologies once again.. Gordesky and ADAM.. sorry maan..

Well obviously you have no choice but to RMA.. since nothing seems to work for you..

If you had read previous posts, you would see that this was already the outcome.

He has seen what is wrong with his card and he chose to send it back.

just got the his 4890 and its a much better card:)

alot cooler even cooler than my 4850 which had a max load at 68c

this one doesint even get that hot think the max i saw it was 58 or 60 with ony a 50% fan.

and this one has a fan control lol just like my 4850 does.

but ya it even faster than the 4870 seems to load everything in crysis than the 4870 did and smoother fps.

which i thought i wouldint see much a improvement with this card from the 4870 because of my old socket 939 but i guess the old opteron 165 still has some punch in it:)

cant wait to unleash the full power of this card when i build a new pc in couple months:)