Sign in to follow this  
gordesky1

ati his 4870 overheating...

not sure if i shouldve put this info in my old threw about geting a 4870 or what but figure i make a new one sense this is a problem..

ok i just bought a his 4870 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814161269

and i was happy with teh performence over the 4850 that gave for my ageing opteron [email protected] socket 939.

so couple times while playing crysis it would just freeze and i had to end task to get back to windows.

so i check the temp and it was 100c to 110c....

so i figured i check the thermal paste and see if they put it on right.

and it was pretty much none on it so i put new on and put it back in my pc and fire her up and tried crysis again and the temps was a bit better but went up to 98c.... but didint get no freezing.

but why does this card run so hot? right now its siting at 67 just on the desktop.

i have good case cooling to big 250mm fan facing right at it and another one in the front of the case and a 120mm in the back.

my visontek 4850 never got this hot max load it did was 60 to 65max and that was with ony a 60% fan speed.

and it seems like i cant change the fan speed for this card because theres no settings to change it anywhere i even tried that fan fix for the 4800s in profile which didint change the speed.

than i looked at the fan plug and it has ony red and black wires which problee the problem why i cant change the speed.

i also looked at the reviews and saw some that said theres didint come with the memory headsinks around the fan which mine didint either would that cause the problem?

also running crysis at 1920x1200 res with everything on very high and dx10 wouldint cause this high temps? or shouldint it get hot like this for any game?

Edited by gordesky1

If your interested in editing the bios your gonna need gpu-z here ~~ http://www.techpowerup.com/downloads/1379/mirrors.php . just make a new folder on desktop and name it ati bios, open gpu-z and where it says bios version over to the right of it there is going to be a dropdown to save original bios. Save the original to that folder. Make another folder named edited bios on desktop. Your going to need rbe editor now here ~~ http://www.techpowerup.com/downloads/1379/mirrors.php . Open rbe editor and select load bios, browse to your folder original bios and click it, load it with rbe then click on the fan settings adjust like you want them then save that bios to the modified bios file you made. Download Ati flash here ~~ http://www.techpowerup.com/downloads/1123/ATIFlash_3.60.html . and flash your video card to the modified bios file you just made.

before i do bios stuff if the fan plug ony has red and black doesn't that mean its not controlled?

like its just to power the fan but not monitor it?

because on my visontek 4850 the fan wires has red black and yellow and i think blue.

and when i open the ati control panel it shows the fan speed slider right there.

but the his 4870 doesint show anything not even how fast the fan is spining.

i even looked at everest and it doesint even show the fan there.

According to the reviews on newegg, the fan on that model isn't variable speed. It appears that it is either at 100% or off. Have you ensured that the fan is actually spinning by inspecting it visually?

yep its spinning and seems like its running at full speed.

i just don't know why this card is running this hot...

i even put my hand on the heat sink and on the card and it was very hot.. so the censer seems to be working.

hmm i was thinking of buying a new cooler for it what will be a good one for the 4870?

i need one that will go over the memory chips by the core.

see this pic were theres strips of heatsinks over the memory chips under the main heatsink?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ShowImage.as...rd%20-%20Retail

thats what i am missing and i need something that will cool thoes memory chips off because they get really hot like 100c....

i would just do a rma but whats the odds that i get one with out the chips again...

and waiting like 2 weeks to get the card back...

Rather than going out spending money on a new cooler. Try doing this. It's really not that hard. I have fan settings set up for my good ol GTS 512. Relax. Don't go for an RMA just yet. This pattern temperature reminds me back when the X850XT came out. Take it easy and work through Rivatuner. Learn the software which is stupid easy, set up your profiles and then test it out.

This should work for you also.

Fan Control 4870

Edited by ShadowPredator

i aready tried that when i got the card because when i first got the 4850 i had to do that which worked on that card.

but with this card the fan just doesn't change and doesn't even show the fan rpms

i even tried to edit the bios and put all the fan % on 100% and than flash it and that didint work either..

it just seems like this card doesint have any fan control and its running at 100% all the time which looks like it is because its spinning fast.

and what makes the temps bad is because theres no memory heat sinks on the memory chips which when i feel them they very hot and cant even hold my figure on them for even a sec.

Hmm, That doesnt make sense. First, try putting an 80mm or 120mm fan next to it to shoot toward the car. If that doesnt cool it off maybe an aftermarket cooler wont help at all.

Try Taking off the HSF and applying some thermal paste. Then this is part Im about to recomend is alll up to you lol. Can you try connecting the 3 pin to your motherboard and see if you can adjust the fan speed? If it wont reach you can try extending that wire by using a 3 pin fan wire that you dont use, cut it off, splice, twist and add that to the video card one.

It looks like none of you actually read the thread and are just making things worse with your ignorance. The fan that is on that card is not variable speed. The only way to control the speed of that fan would be to actually control the voltage going through it manually and that could be dangerous if it is overvolted.

So unless you have a suggestion that mentions something other than the speed of the fan, don't bother saying it because we have clearly established that the fan on that card is not variable speed.

I did notice he said there was no heatsinks on the memory, but the newegg pics do show heatsinks on them.

Send it back to newegg.

I have read of 4870's VRM's getting ridiculously hot over time, and causing issues.

Your best bet is either to RMA it, or install an after-market cooler.

It looks like none of you actually read the thread and are just making things worse with your ignorance. The fan that is on that card is not variable speed. The only way to control the speed of that fan would be to actually control the voltage going through it manually and that could be dangerous if it is overvolted.

So unless you have a suggestion that mentions something other than the speed of the fan, don't bother saying it because we have clearly established that the fan on that card is not variable speed.

waiiiiit, I thought that you can control the fan speed by the motherboard?? Thats Y I told him to try that.

But ya, best bet is RMA it, get a new one that isnt HIS. If your gonna spend like $30 on a fan it isnt worth it. You can get a 4890 for the extra price

Read the thread thoroughly. I am not sure how the fan speed works upon the 4870. I was suggesting the link in the context of trying to set temperature and and fan speed profiles. Manual setting versus trying to get a variable fan speed. As far as I know, I didn't know the fan speed was controlled through the voltage.

Alright, moving on though. Suggestion like everyone else is saying try to go for an RMA. If you have a defective card you might as well as give it a shot. I'm sorry Rivatuner isn't working for you though.

ya i was thinking of just sending it back and getting a 4890 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16814161276

i know i be even more bottleneck because of my cpu but when i build a new pc in couple months i have a really nice card to use:)

i love the 4870 performance but its just gets to hot and causes problems sometimes.

and i was looking into spending 40$ for a heat sink/fan which im sure would've work but i be like spending 180$ which the card was 140 and 40... for 10$ more i could have that 4890 i listed up top and looks like it has a alot better fan and stuff. which i would've did at first but wasint thinking...

i also tried all the stuff everyone told me even hooking up the fan to the power plug dongle which was the same as it was hook up to the card.

i could tell its the memory making everything hot because the memory temp censer always showing like 20c higher than the core like the mem is at 100c and the gpu is at 80s.

but ya gona see if i could send this card back and order the 4890.

i would have thought that the fan speed mod was actually adjusting the voltage to the fan, but if the reference design is for a 4 wire fan then i guess there's no voltage mod possible, lol

wish i had a 4870 to mess with!

i would have thought that the fan speed mod was actually adjusting the voltage to the fan, but if the reference design is for a 4 wire fan then i guess there's no voltage mod possible, lol

wish i had a 4870 to mess with!

Buy mine my wonder boy.. :geezer::P

Quick question for you guys.. gordesky says he opened the card up and cleaned, doesn't most ATI partners void warranty upon opening the card.. at least that's what I thought.. :unsure:

Edited by miggs78

that does void warranty, though there's not often a way to tell if it's been tampered, unless you have like tape that you've replaced with different thermal tape.

how much y ou want for yours miggs, 50? i got that much

ya i was thinking of just sending it back and getting a 4890 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16814161276

i know i be even more bottleneck because of my cpu but when i build a new pc in couple months i have a really nice card to use:)

i love the 4870 performance but its just gets to hot and causes problems sometimes.

and i was looking into spending 40$ for a heat sink/fan which im sure would've work but i be like spending 180$ which the card was 140 and 40... for 10$ more i could have that 4890 i listed up top and looks like it has a alot better fan and stuff. which i would've did at first but wasint thinking...

i also tried all the stuff everyone told me even hooking up the fan to the power plug dongle which was the same as it was hook up to the card.

i could tell its the memory making everything hot because the memory temp censer always showing like 20c higher than the core like the mem is at 100c and the gpu is at 80s.

but ya gona see if i could send this card back and order the 4890.

Unfortunately most ATI board partners will not let you return it if the find out that you opened the card. XFX might be one of the only board members that lets you allow to return the card even if it was opened. As long as there is no apparent physical damage.

Read the thread thoroughly. I am not sure how the fan speed works upon the 4870. I was suggesting the link in the context of trying to set temperature and and fan speed profiles. Manual setting versus trying to get a variable fan speed. As far as I know, I didn't know the fan speed was controlled through the voltage.

Alright, moving on though. Suggestion like everyone else is saying try to go for an RMA. If you have a defective card you might as well as give it a shot. I'm sorry Rivatuner isn't working for you though.

Are you dense or something? :blink:

Let me make sure you understand it this time.

THE FAN ONLY HAS 2 SETTINGS: OFF OR ON. THERE IS NO WAY TO MAKE IT GO ANY FASTER AS IT IS ALREADY RUNNING AT 100% AT ALL TIMES. I SUGGESTED THAT THE ONLY POSSIBLE WAY TO MAKE IT GO FASTER WOULD BE TO PHYSICALLY VOLT MOD IT AND GIVE IT MORE JUICE; HOWEVER, THIS CAN BE DANGEROUS AS IT MAY BURN OUT THE MOTOR ON THE FAN.

Perhaps you won't just skim my posts now that I've put the important part in all bolded caps.

waiiiiit, I thought that you can control the fan speed by the motherboard?? Thats Y I told him to try that.

Let me ask you a question.

If you put a single luminosity light bulb in a multi-luminosity lamp, will you be able to have the multiple settings with that single luminosity bulb?

If you understand that, then you will understand that hooking up the fan which is only capable of one speed will yield only 2 options while hooked up to the motherboard (on or off).

Looks like you're okay now, thanks to me. It seems that the manufacturer fixed the problem:

We apologize for the problems you have with HIS 4870 fan version, which unfortunately slipped by our rigid inspection. A new 4870 Fan model with updated BIOS and variable fan speed deployed is released, tackling the potential overheat problem.

Please kindly contact HIS Technical support or fill out our online form at http://www.lexycomp.com/forms/rma.pdf and return to our local distributor for following up.

Do feel free to contact

HIS US Technical Support

Hotline: (408) 331-8847

Email: [email protected]

Log #: R-090624-50

if you need any further information.

Your satisfaction is very important to us, and once again we apologize for the inconvenience you have been caused.

Warm Regards,

HIS Customer Support

Just RMA it to the manufacturer and they'll hook you up with a working replacement.

You're welcome :b33r:

adam, you would be able to if it was LOWERING the voltage, not bumping it up..... dimmer switch or a 60 watt changes the light output

but i guess that's not here nor there, LOL