Please link me to description of what benchmarks mean

I did actually buy the optimise product but that's another story.

I don't understand how an entire article can not describe in high level terms what the number means

I don't really care if one number is bigger than another unless there is a quick link to what it means.

For example, a value of

http://techtalk.pcpitstop.com/2008/04/03/w...0-in-dog-years/

Why is there no link in the article explain the numbers?

What would anybody publish number without UNITS.

I am actually a computer scientist. Not an expert in performance or anything but it takes 5 minutes to provide a unit for a measurement.

Why is this not easily visible.

Why am a going to buy a tool that does not tell me what it is measuring? Easily.

This should be the FIRST thing I'm told.

:wp:

The numbers don't 'mean' anything other than "higher is better". They are a way of quantifying the performance of specific computer hardware and software confiigurations.

The 'scores' are an arbitrary number arrived at by running some specific tests on a computer and then arbitrarily assigning a numeric value to those results. The tests will typically measure how many frames per second can be displayed using a controlled animation sequence. The FPS is then used to calculate a score.

The formula for each of the Futuremark 3D product scores is as follows, where GT1 = Game Test 1, FPS = frames per second, etc:

3DMark2001 Calculation Formula

(Game Tests Low x 10) + [(Game Tests High + Nature) x 20]

3DMark2003 Calculation Formula

(GT1 FPS x 7.3) + (GT2 FPS x 37) + (GT3 FPS x 47.1) + (GT4 FPS x 38.7)

3DMark2005 Calculation Formula

[(GT1 FPS + GT2 FPS + GT3 FPS) / 3] x 250

3DMark2006 Calculation Formula

2.5 x (1 / [(1.7 / [( SM2.0 Score + HDR/SM3.0 Score ) x 0.5]) + 0.3 / CPU Score) / 2])

The numbers don't 'mean' anything other than "higher is better". They are a way of quantifying the performance of specific computer hardware and software confiigurations.

I was a bit confused because I didn't even notice "frames per second" on the reading. An alternative approach could have been the amount of time required to perform a test, rather than the number of successful iterations done. (Time can be measured in all kinds of units ...)

The 'scores' are an arbitrary number arrived at by running some specific tests on a computer and then arbitrarily assigning a numeric value to those results. The tests will typically measure how many frames per second can be displayed using a controlled animation sequence. The FPS is then used to calculate a score.

The formula for each of the Futuremark 3D product scores is as follows, where GT1 = Game Test 1, FPS = frames per second, etc:

3DMark2001 Calculation Formula

(Game Tests Low x 10) + [(Game Tests High + Nature) x 20]

3DMark2003 Calculation Formula

(GT1 FPS x 7.3) + (GT2 FPS x 37) + (GT3 FPS x 47.1) + (GT4 FPS x 38.7)

3DMark2005 Calculation Formula

[(GT1 FPS + GT2 FPS + GT3 FPS) / 3] x 250

3DMark2006 Calculation Formula

2.5 x (1 / [(1.7 / [( SM2.0 Score + HDR/SM3.0 Score ) x 0.5]) + 0.3 / CPU Score) / 2])

This answer was very informative, thanks for the clarification ...