Sign in to follow this  
AdamMAXIS

I'm Back!

With bounds of new confidence from my new heatsink, I've decided to get back into the ol' overclocking routine.

Posted Image

I'm pretty impressed with this CPU so far. :cheers:

It probably doesn't have much left to go though as it is the B3 revision. At most, I estimate that it has 400 more MHz headroom.

with a B3 Im, sure you can get atleast 3.6ghz.

400 x 9

Vcore no more then 1.47v

That should do it. Then if you can for bench purposes, 4.0 @ 1.6x ish volts can do to.

From the reviews I've been reading, it seems that the 4890 has difficulty in getting over 1 GHz core unless it has been modified. I'm surprised that this card I ordered has such a high overclock out of the box (950 MHz). Must be due in part to the beastly Zerotherm heatsink.

The 4890s have to be volt modded in order to get to 1Ghz. Also, from what I read, the Powercolor 4890 has skimped on the VRMs, which may hurt overclocking ability, but that is just what I read, and the whole YMMV thing applies.

It's 3DMark. In the reviews I've read, the 4870 is at least twice as fast as the 3870, whereas the 4890 is faster than the 4870.

Edited by brandon

Hey brandon, remember that time you told me that a single 4890 would beat two 3870s in crossfire?...

Single 4890

Two 3870s

What gives?

It did beat them. What gives? :huh:

Maybe the drivers you used with the 3870s where better?

It did beat them. What gives? :huh:

Maybe the drivers you used with the 3870s where better?

I think he is implying that is only won by 17 points.

But on top of that, how is the performance in games in real-life apps?

I think he is implying that is only won by 17 points.

But on top of that, how is the performance in games in real-life apps?

Well, in Call of Duty: World at War, the frames are much better and consistent. However, strangely enough, my frames have dropped quite considerably in Crysis to the point where it even looks choppy. Left 4 Dead appears to be about the same though. :shrug:

Well, in Call of Duty: World at War, the frames are much better and consistent. However, strangely enough, my frames have dropped quite considerably in Crysis to the point where it even looks choppy. Left 4 Dead appears to be about the same though. :shrug:

My 4870 plays crysis without a hiccup, drivers maybe?

From what I've been researching, my memory score on the pit test should be within the 12,500 to 16,000 range. This is very odd.

I wouldn't trust the pit's memory benchmark. There are better memory benchmarks out there.

SANDRA, and Everest come to mind.

Edit: You didn't just plop the card in there without uninstalling the drivers did you?

Edited by brandon

I would trust the pits memory score and yes that is waaaay low for your system.

Wow that card smokes the the pit test. :tup:

I wouldn't trust the pit's memory benchmark. There are better memory benchmarks out there.

SANDRA, and Everest come to mind.

Edit: You didn't just plop the card in there without uninstalling the drivers did you?

I don't know about the pit's memory test being unreliable, but I'll give sandra a try.

I uninstalled the drivers through the Programs and Features section in the control panel. Since I was replacing ATI with ATI, I figured I wouldn't have to do an extremely thorough driver purge.

IMO, with the pit score you got I would not touch the drivers.

Get the memory issue sorted first. Make sure dual channel is working, download cpu-z and take a quick look at this and the mem speed and settings. Bad performing system memory can devastate a 3DMark score.

That ram should run 1066Mhz easily. I would set the cpu back to normal 9X multi with 266Mhz fsb. Set the MCH Frequency Latch 266Mhz and set the System Memory Multiplier 4.00 with 2.1 volts to the ram and 5-5-5-18 timings.

I've tried those settings with 2.15 to the VDIMM with the 5-5-5-18 and it wouldn't boot.

I know that when I run my FSB at over 429Mhz, with the memory:FSB at 1:1, my bandwidth drops dramatically.

Also, even if moving to the same brand card, I would still do a thorough removal of the drivers.