I'd go for a 4870, or a 4890 over a GTX260. The 4870 is equivalent to the GTX260, but can be had for quite a bit cheaper.

The 4890 is quite a bit more powerful than the GTX260, but also slightly more expensive.

So I got the card in yesterday. First things first I went into device manager and uninstalled video card drivers for my old card. Then I turned of the comp and replaced the old card with the new one.

Everything seemed to be going fine untill I try to install drivers for the new one. Trying to install straight through the ati drivers downloaded or off the disc I get an error message "CATALYST Install Manager has stopped working".

Also on Win7 64bit(ati site says the drivers are completely compatable) but win7 will install some drivers manually. With these drivers though I am getting worse performance in games than I did with the 2900.

Any tips?

I get a score of about 9000 on the 3d test for my 4870. Also, give this: http://downloads.guru3d.com/Driver-Sweeper...nload-2186.html a shot.

You most likely did not completely uninstall the drivers, which can lead to poor performance of a new card.

Tried that program but I did have everything removed but I went ahead and tried it all again. Same results though I think I got the driver installed just by going into the device manager and manually selecting the file to install after unzipping the ati files. Though I have no Catalyst or anything to change any settings :mrsgreen:

CCC won't install thats the problem. Installing freezes and Catalyst Install Manager crashes right when I hit Install. Research says its a problem with 64bit vista/win7 and having visual studio installed on that system. messes up something with the .net install or something. "shrug" i'll try ATITrayTools

Well wasn't able to get ATT to work either lol. It installs just fine bit another problem with x64...

I did go ahead and install RivaTuner though and oc'd the card to 820MHz Core Clock and 1100MHz Memory clock and got my 3D score up to 9763 so I was happy with that :)

Well wasn't able to get ATT to work either lol. It installs just fine bit another problem with x64...

I did go ahead and install RivaTuner though and oc'd the card to 820MHz Core Clock and 1100MHz Memory clock and got my 3D score up to 9763 so I was happy with that :)

You have all you .net framework updated? I upgraded last year from a 2900xt to a 4870 and just went into add/remove programs and uninstalled ati catalyst install manager, asked to reboot and installed new ati drivers. Same drivers I had for the 2900xt.

Fantastic! after tons of searching I finally found a solution!

I tried updating .net framework like you suggested but I had everything up to date.

So finally after tons of searching over the past couple days I found this page

http://insomniacgeek.com/blog/catalyst-ins...topped-working/

which solved my problem of getting catalyst to install. The workaround still failed on installing the actual driver, but I was able to install that through the device manager anyway.

Thanks for all the help!