Sign in to follow this  
babywontsleep

Infected By Gator

Please help me.

I cannot seem to get rid of gator. every time i run spybot, it seems to find gator entries in the registry. I am very careful about what gets put on the 'puter. Why does it keep comming back is there a hidden place where it lurks ready to bite my 'puter in the :filtered:? i run spybot and adaware daily(thanks for the info about the update). why does this keep happening? any ideas would be greatly appreciated

this is what it finds:

Gator:dll use (1 apps)

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\software\microsoft\windows\currentversion\Shareddlls\c:\windows\downloaded pro

Gator: Global settings

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\software\Gator.com

Gator: hidden identity

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT_CLSID\{21ffb6co-oda1-11da1-a9d5-00500413153c}

Gator: module usage setting

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\software\microsoft\currentversion\moduleusage\c:/wwindows/downloaded

Gaotr: plug in log

c:\windows\Gatorplugin.log

thanks...

Guest kodiak_lmtd

I am a brand new member here & was just reading forum.......I was having the same problem with Gator......I had found many icons from Gator & have tried to delete them.....failed lol. Today i was serfing the net & found this site....and did the pc test & it found Gator of course, it told me to get rid of it & it took me to a site to download Win Patrol. Then I went back & deleted Gator & for some reason I was able to delete it this time. I don't know if this will help but its worth a try for you...it worked for me. :cheers: good luck & be safe

I looked in the add remove and there is no gator or anything conected to gator. but everytime i run spy bot it finds those entries? I can't stand having that on my 'puter and not knowing where it came from. thanks for the help

did you install the Spybuddy? if not, it shouldn't be there :nospys:

do you have system restore turned on?

yes i hate to say it i did but i thought that it was a way to monitor how the kids used the internet. each one of them sayss that they are not the ones going t all the innappropriate sites and i need t ofind out which one is doing it. (i have 5 kids)

as for system restore it doesn't work anymore i cannot get it turned on . i have tried most of the fixes and it does not seem to work.

nothing connected to gator ever shows up in the add remove

Edited by babywontsleep

All those enties are showing up prechecked and in red?? and you are telling spybot to "fix selected problems"??

And then scan again and they still show up??

Yes they are showing up in red, prechecked. If i then rerun spybot they do not show up until i either reboot the machine or play some more on the net. thanks for replying so fast.

Well it sure sounds like its missing something,,I don't reckon you have the old version of ad-aware installed on that machine??

Guest wbs

I have managed to do it!

I needed to run msconfig (from Start>Run...) and deselect "Precision Time" from the list of automatic execution programs, or delete the "Precision Time" folder.

Gator.com is not there anymore!

Hope it helps.

W.B.S.

I recently had a similar problem with IGetNet. I would run Ad-Aware and remove it, and the next time I rebooted it would be back. Ad-Aware 5.83 was not removing some components because they were newer that the last reference file for it.

There was a file in my Windows\System folder that was running on each reboot. I killed that, and thought it was fine afterwards. But when I ran the Ad-Aware 6 the first time, sure enough it found more entries. I think it's finally gone now...

If you don't have the Plus version, and get an update, Ad-Aware's free version will be available this weekend I think.

Guest Donna

Wouldn't using reg clean or easy cleaner get rid of the entries?

Thats what spybot and adaware are supposed to do,,but with some of the spyware if something is being used you must stop the thing from running first.