here's the deal...i want a new video card and i think that i may have found a good opportunity.

i currently have THIS CARD, and it's about time for me to upgrade. nothing spectacular, i'm thinking 4870-ish card. anyway, here's my dillemma and my opportunity...

things have been tight lately so our disposable budget has been very limited (read: non-existent), however, news has recently come to light that may put some more elasticity into that budget. the trouble is convincing my non-gamer wife (she basically plays spore and sims) that i need to upgrade my video card. the opportunity is that her video card's fan just died (geforce 7600 gt) and she's stuck using her onboard video (geforce 6100), which even the sims sucks on (it stutters at even the lowest settings :lol:).

what i was going to do, is buy a new video card and give her mine. i do this all the time when i upgrade cpu, motherboard, memory, etc., but her retort was "i'm sick of getting hand-me-downs" to which i really don't have a response.

now, i can:

A. try to talk her into that again

B. simply get an after market fan for the 7600 and say "here, fine"

C. buy her the newer video card this time and use it against her next time.

the first option is, obviously, the best and it's what i want to do.

now, this is what i charge you fine people with: help me convice her that choice A is the right thing to do.

:h3lp:

Tell her to call the "geek squad" to fix her rig if she don't want your hand me downs. ;)

Thats not cruel.

It is economics 101.

Here ya go honey, the number to the geek squad and their rates, give em a call they would be thrilled to death to come out and fix your computer.

Orrrrrrrrrrrr, here is a free upgrade, I will give it to you free of charge, and I will install it and any needed drivers free of charge.

My wife always gets upgrades and she loves getting them, because my hand me downs are always an "upgrade" for her, and she gets them for "free"

She has been to the computer shows with me, she has been to Microcenter with me and she knows the cost of hardware, and I have shown her the "geek squad" price lists before.

Needless to say she is very happy when I "upgrade" her hardware components for free.

You see you are taking the wrong approach to things. You are letting her label upgrades as hand me downs. WRONG! WRONG! WRONG!

They are not hand me downs, they are upgrades, upgrades, upgrades.

You made the mistake of letting her do this.

You do not ask if she wants your "old stuff". You tell her that you will be upgrading her video card for her.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Bnr_5DuFpU

Edited by Bruce

Tell her the Radeon 3850 has 320 stream processing units, and each one will improve every aspect of her life.

She will no longer think she looks fat in the dress, nor will you be afraid to say anything when she asks, her butt will be just right, and any other problem women have with themselves will be non-existent.

Not to mention, it will turn you from ordinary badbinary, into super badbinary, with far superior abilities to argue about politics than the mere peons that are called the "Human race".

Tell her the Radeon 3850 has 320 stream processing units, and each one will improve every aspect of her life.

She will no longer think she looks fat in the dress, nor will you be afraid to say anything when she asks, her butt will be just right, and any other problem women have with themselves will be non-existent.

Not to mention, it will turn you from ordinary badbinary, into super badbinary, with far superior abilities to argue about politics than the mere peons that are called the "Human race".

LMAO!

:laughing::laughing:

:rofl2:

nice card there BB, i noticed its just like my card it only uses 1x 6pin PCIe connector. is that card a 55nm or is it lower? even if its 55nm thats gonna be a nice cool card, they really dont run very hot. if smaller then 55nm it will run even cooler and thats great :tup:

i put off on ordering until i can be sure it's in our budget. :(

In other words....................he's whipped. She said with a resounding she wears the pants authority NO! :mrgreen:

Badbinary..

Well.. after reading this thread, I must say.. I can't stop laughing :rofl2: ..

Like Bruce was saying.. call "geek squad" lol :lol: ..

Oh well, that's a good card for to buy.. You know anytime you convince your wife, say the truth, don't make things up, lie, try to fool her, imagine for once when she finds out that you didn't say the truth, she would be hurt, and so would you feel guilty..

One thing I do agree is Bruce's comment, UPGRADES!! :mrgreen: ..

Just tell her, you play your kind of games, I like my kind of games, tell her if she used the geforce 6100 onboard card, would she be able to play games properly, same with yours, a 7600gt is an old card and can't play new games properly..

Take her a night out dinner one extra night :P