Is there a program will actually monitor your "connection" to the internet? Something that will create a log? Here is my issue. I'm on a network, every so often my inernet connection seems intermittent. I will still have access to the network, but I can't go anywhere on the net. I've learned that it's the actual connection to the internet that goes out thanks to my log me in program. It actually shows a little red x on the icon when it is unable to maintain it's connection to the net. This happens through out our entire network, I need a log to show my isp. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

Trafkjamm

what router do you have?

After looking into this a little further, I'm not really interested in messing with the network, there are about 21 computers on it. I just would like to know how many times my computer looses it's connection to the net.

Is there a program will actually monitor your "connection" to the internet? Something that will create a log? Here is my issue. I'm on a network, every so often my inernet connection seems intermittent. I will still have access to the network, but I can't go anywhere on the net. I've learned that it's the actual connection to the internet that goes out thanks to my log me in program. It actually shows a little red x on the icon when it is unable to maintain it's connection to the net. This happens through out our entire network, I need a log to show my isp. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

Trafkjamm

Hello, Trafkjamm,

Yes, these "monitors" are referred to as "packet sniffers", and there are many programs on the market both free and paid. Here are a few that I would recommend you use. I'm not sure of how extensive your knowledge is in this field: Also, I am unsure of what Operating System you are running, I'm going to assume Windows.

Ettercap: It can be found here: http://ettercap.sourceforge.net/

I don't recommend this one, but it's called Ethereal, it can be found here: http://www.ethereal.com/

For more advanced packet detection, you can run something called Back Trace, it's a heavily intensive compilation of multiple pieces of software, it can be found here: http://www.remote-exploit.org/backtrack.html

I must add that your problem could be as simple as a malfunctioning Nic, or even some sort of malware.

If you posted a HJT log, you can find HJT here: http://download.cnet.com/Trend-Micro-Hijac...4-10227353.html it would help more.

Please keep us posted :P And I hope your problems are resolved soon.

Good luck,

XPS

or he could simply look in the logs of his router, depending on what kind of router he has. but apparently that's confidential information.

or he could simply look in the logs of his router, depending on what kind of router he has. but apparently that's confidential information.

well with 24 computers, sounds like a business, he may not have access to the router, so your repeted the same question did not help.

it could be hardware, nic card going bad, ethernet cable that needs to be repaired. (check the back of the computer to see if the green yellow lights are on when the interuption occures. if lights go out, replace the computer ethernet cable, network card, possably the router cable. may need to contact the it department for this.

spyware infected. spybot search and destroy, malwarebytes