CPU fan is working overtime

I have noticed that on graphic hungry websites my CPU fan appears to be working overtime. On some site the fan is running all the time (news clips, etc).

Is my graphics card no longer pulling its weight? Do I need to replace it?

I enclose some Everest sensor data:

Temperatures:

Motherboard 40 °C (104 °F)

CPU 61 °C (142 °F)

GPU 79 °C (174 °F)

HDD 29 °C (84 °F)

Cooling Fans:

CPU 3125 RPM

Chassis 2377 RPM

Any help / suggestion would be most welcome.

uh, no.

open up your computer and clean it all out.

the cpu fan SHOULD be running all the time. if it isn't, then there is a big problem. my guess is that there is a lot of dust in the heatsink.

Yea i def agree clean it out also if you cant hear the fan all the time you have prob got cool&quiet enabled, There should be a target cpu temp setting make sure its not really high prob a good idea to set it as low as poss this time of year or disable cool&quiet

Yea i def agree clean it out also if you cant hear the fan all the time you have prob got cool&quiet enabled, There should be a target cpu temp setting make sure its not really high prob a good idea to set it as low as poss this time of year or disable cool&quiet

There should be a target cpu temp setting make sure its not really high prob a good idea to set it as low as poss this time of year or disable cool&quiet

Where could I find this info?

in the bios settings but to be honest i wouldn't change it.

cool&quiet lowers your cpu speed when not need so lowering temps and saving electric.

lowering the target cpu temp setting just makes the fan run at full speed sooner.

:b33r:

99% of the time if your temps are hot it's because either a fan is dead or there's too much dirt inside.

What BB said.

Dont forget there is a bunch of other issues to. Such as changing thermal paste, bad connection from CPU to heatsink, and so on.

first, clean out that little guy and make sure the fan is properly rotating

Edited by el kido
  • 3 weeks later...

Thank you for all the replies.

I have checked the CPU heatsink and there is a lot of compacted dust. Should I use an air cleaner to remove this dust? How do I remove the CPU fan to get to the heatsink?

Edited by thegooner317