Change Mode

Any of you seen or used this:

The Tornado

Makes some impressive claims over speed, but surely a cross over cable and network the two PC's would be easier and cheaper, or maybe firewire if available on both PC's and that would probably be quicker!!

Reason I post this is because a friend of mine has wasted £60 (in my opinion) after seeing this advertised on a shopping channel.

A quicker option may be to simply put the old HD into the new PC, I know I did that last new build I completed. Moved 200gb of video, pictures and music, in under 2 minutes :clap:

So, basically, they're spending $60 on a USB cable? :blink:

Nope.

It obviously contains a memory chip which contains drivers that auto load making the device work. Because simply plugging in a USB cable can not achieve what it does.

A little reading about it on that page clearly states that win98SE does not support auto loading of drivers...................that says to me that it contains it's own drivers that supply the functionality.

For the inexperienced it might be worth the money.

While ethernet crossover cables are certainly faster cheaper, and more efficient, and firewire even faster and even more efficient, that requires that a user have some networking capabilities.

It is my experience that the average user has a difficult time accomplishing the most basic f things on a computer and if those things are not pre-configured and set up automatically for them then it's a show stopper.

In other words the cheap and efficient way of doing things is not a windows centric thing. ;)

Simply mention tcp/ip over firewire to your average windows user and watch as they stare like a deer caught in the headlights.

Simply mention a crossover cable and configuring a network, and setting up network shares over that connection to a windows user and watch as they look at you like you are from another planet.

A quicker option may be to simply put the old HD into the new PC, I know I did that last new build I completed. Moved 200gb of video, pictures and music, in under 2 minutes clap.gif

now that i would love to see... 2 minutes... wish my pc was that fast. :lol:

i think the theoretical minimum time is 11.5 minutes at 300MBs to transfer 200GB of data.. :tup:

edit:- not long ago i had to transfer a similar amount of data from 1 hard drive to another in my i7 setup and i know it took over 25 minutes. ;)

:b33r:

Edited by terry1966

No consumer level PC is that fast. 200GB in 120 seconds... That is about 1.6GB/sec, which is impossible for any current consumer level storage medium.

Maybe 2GB, but not 200.

remember that topic in the overclocking section Brandon where someone raided loads of ssd drives, i think that might of done it, and that was just consumer level storage, so not saying it's impossible but i think that system was $50,000 just for the hard drives... :rofl2:

Edited by terry1966

No consumer level PC is that fast. 200GB in 120 seconds... That is about 1.6GB/sec, which is impossible for any current consumer level storage medium.

Maybe 2GB, but not 200.

When i say moved, i mean, unplug from one PC and plug into the new PC, not dump the files on a new drive, just physically move the whole hard drive :blink: , almost hot swithching.

When i say moved, i mean, unplug from one PC and plug into the new PC, not dump the files on a new drive, just physically move the whole hard drive blink.gif , almost hot swithching.

:rofl2:

2 minutes... :tup:

:rofl2:

:b33r: