Sign in to follow this  
EclipseWebJS2

Internet running like a snail when I upload

Like just now, I had to wait 43 seconds for this text input box to appear so I can start typing into this thing.

See, I occasionally upload files to YouTube, and when I'm doing that, then the Internet slows down. And here I thought ADSL was "ASYNCHRONOUS" meaning you can still use some of your remaining bandwidth to use the internet! So what's going on here, and how do I fix this?

I have the same problem Mine is due to the poor quality of the line and distance from the exchange. I can supposidly have 5mb/s+ in my area but anything above 3 causes the line to burn out

Have a look at this site to give you an idea of your actual up/down speeds:

IO Speed Test

Remember upload speeds are nowhere near your download speed "Asynchronous" line or not.

At best a 2Mb connection will only give 50 kb/s upload, so 5Mb should see aroud 130 kb/s.

Have a look at this site to give you an idea of your actual up/down speeds:

IO Speed Test

Remember upload speeds are nowhere near your download speed "Asynchronous" line or not.

At best a 2Mb connection will only give 50 kb/s upload, so 5Mb should see aroud 130 kb/s.

I think this is a better one, its really popular, probably everyone here knows it haha.Speedtest.net The Global Broadband Speedtest

OK, I ran some speed tests. Unfortunately, I'm appalled at SpeedTest's ambiguous results already. Since when did they start measuring Mb/s instead of measuring Kb/s like they used to?

The fastest speed I got was in Norfolk, NE, even though it had some lag issues.

Posted Image

The worst speed and latency I got was in Sioux City, IA. What the crap operation are they runnin' there?

Posted Image

Then I tested two servers near here. Even though it returned the same speed, Overland Park, KS had the lowest latency.

Posted Image

But the fastest ping came from the south -- Dallas, TX, that is...

Posted Image

Now in each test it always reports .10 or .11 on the uploads test, but not .12 or higher. I would usually get up to .13!

But here's where the massive bottleneck throws me off -- When I'm uploading to YouTube, and I have taskmanager open and set to the network tab, I see transfers reach as high as 35 K every 2-3 seconds!! And here I am sitting here while everything runs like 14.4k dial-up.

Edited by EclipseWebJS2

yeah, those speeds are horrendous. what is the advertised speed of your service?

My current plan is supposed to be 384 Kbps. At ±85% of the rated speed it's 326 Kbps.

Which is supposed to be 48K per second. I still don't get why SpeedTest made the results ambiguous.

This "speed" issue may be due in part we're some distance away from the central office, and ADSL modems can only go as far as 18,000 feet, or 3.41 miles...

There is higher speeds being advertised, but it'd be too expensive to upgrade to those. Although, my mother is about to set up her own computer soon and we definitely need bandwidth!

(I hope she has a wireless-N card so I don't have to buy cable.)

how the heck are the results ambiguous?

it's pretty simple to me, .11 mb/s is 110 kbps. have you forgotten how to do simple 2nd grade math?

what is the advertised upload speed? i'm guessing about 1/3 the download speed?

Edited by badbinary

1 KB/s = 8 Kbps

1 MB/s = 8 Mbps

0.5 Mbps = 512 Kbps

1 Mbps = 125 KB/s

384 Kbps = ___ Mbps

What speed goes in the blank here? And don't cheat!

My DSL service does offer up to 1 Mbps, at the cost of $80 a month. :(

yeah, eight bits per byte, etc. etc. dividing by ten is for simplicity purposes.

since you know the scale and are aware of that, that makes it even less ambiguous.

Just because your ISP says you 3Mbps or 5Mbps at your pole doesn't mean that is what is happening at your modem connection. Your POTs (plain old telephone system) line in your house may be to old to carry that speed. The line may not have enough twist in the line. maybe it runs close to an electrical device that is causing interference. Some telephone providers will come out and check your speed at the box, and if you ask they will check it at the modem connection.

RMC

Not to mess with anyone's heads or anything, but I just now turned on QoS on the router with these settings:

336 Download / 112 Upload

And now since it's been turned on, the repeat peaking has ceased, and even though the Internet now loads like 56K modem speeds when I'm uploading a file on YouTube, it should be less annoying than it can get.

By the way, I have the DD-WRT Custom Firmware that people have been installing on their Linksys WRT-45G routers, well, it does support other routers, mine was supported. Although, what if a user wants to GO BACK to using the Linksys "official" firmware?

Like just now, I had to wait 43 seconds for this text input box to appear so I can start typing into this thing.

See, I occasionally upload files to YouTube, and when I'm doing that, then the Internet slows down. And here I thought ADSL was "ASYNCHRONOUS" meaning you can still use some of your remaining bandwidth to use the internet! So what's going on here, and how do I fix this?

lust a thought check your ram usage. press CTRL ALT DEL and look at the preformance tab. if your PF usage graph is 1/2 or more your computer may have a lack of ram. also see if your cpu usage is less than 25%

have you cleaned internet explorer cash lately? <start> <control pannel> <internet options> under brousing history press <delete> then delete files, cookies, history,

next start, programs, acessories, system tools, disk cleenup. then do drive C, after a bit, click on all boxes listed, and then continue.

you can also search for freeware applet "startup .cpl" wich will allow under control pannel give you a startup option that can monitor and stop programs from starting up when computer boots. the less needed the more ram u can have freed up

Posted Image

TimeWarner 15Mbps $59.99/Month

Posted Image

Verizon Fios 20/5 49.99 a month. ;)